Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If this is what it comes to, Kawhi will have a lot of sway where he ends up and conversely, what the Spurs can get for him.

With a supermax from the Spurs out of the horizon in this case, it's very likely whoever team wants to bid for Kawhi would want him to sign an extension before agreeing to trade any major pieces, picks.

Teams that would potentially take on him on a one year rental are unlikely to offer anywhere as much, considering the risk he might walk at the end of the season.

Obviously, Kawhi can also just wait out the year, earn the last $19m on his current contract, become a free agent and do as he pleases, without the Spurs getting anything back. This would be the worst case scenario for the Spurs, and one they would want to avoid.

So be prepared for the fact that the Spurs might not have a lot of leverage if this situation plays out. Unfortunately, at this point they would be trying to make the best of a bad situation.
    Last edited by ElNono; 04-15-2018 at 05:14 PM. Reason: removed another team being able to supermax him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No other team can offer him a supermax extension.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No other team can offer him a supermax extension.
    Sorry, you're correct. Well, unless he plays 8 season with his new team. The rest is accurate anyways, I believe, so still not a great position for the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    absolutely right, that sucks for the Spurs, although I'm very curious about the fact that Pop will have to do something this season other than delivering fat contracts to former players because of the "culture" of the franchise

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly. It would be like the Pacers and the Paul George situation. (Nobody figured Oladipo would become this good). We are getting back perhaps a pick and a fringe starter player for Kawhi.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sorry, you're correct. Well, unless he plays 8 season with his new team. The rest is accurate anyways, I believe, so still not a great position for the Spurs.
    Can still only be with the team that drafted you, if I read it correctly.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can still only be with the team that drafted you, if I read it correctly.
    A player needs to either be entering (or have just completed) his eighth or ninth season. As The Atlantic points outs, players aiming to eventually land a supermax deal would sign a contract extension after their rookie deal. After this extension, eligible players could sign a supermax contract. For most of the eligible players, the supermax deal would be their third NBA contract.

Not super clear to me either.

https://heavy.com/sports/2017/07/nba...gnated-player/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's many more risks at this point than just a long term deal. He's basically in a show-me state, where teams will want to see him play a year or two without stupid injuries and anxiety/panic attacks before deciding he can lead their franchise like a true max player should. He will be looked at as a player who couldn't succeed at one of the best franchises in all of pro sports, with hall of fame executives/coaching and hall of fame players all around him -- basically the easiest setup imaginable. That will not make his trade value better to a potential suitor, it will make him a talent with a ton of risk: injury, at ude and otherwise. Also, keep in mind he will be trade bait/player option/a free agent during these next 2-3 years when many other more proven stars are out there or on the horizon as compe ion for the same front offices to go after, like Paul George, LeBron, Giannis, KD, Cousins, Embiid, AD, Jokic etc. His compe ion will carry the same talent, pedigree, but far less injury/at ude risk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There's many more risks at this point than just a long term deal. He's basically in a show-me state, where teams will want to see him play a year or two without stupid injuries and anxiety/panic attacks before deciding he can lead their franchise like a true max player should. He will be looked at as a player who couldn't succeed at one of the best franchises in all of pro sports, with hall of fame executives/coaching and hall of fame players all around him -- basically the easiest setup imaginable. That will not make his trade value better to a potential suitor, it will make him a talent with a ton of risk: injury, at ude and otherwise. Also, keep in mind he will be trade bait/player option/a free agent during these next 2-3 years when many other more proven stars are out there or on the horizon as compe ion for the same front offices to go after, like Paul George, LeBron, Giannis, KD, Cousins, Embiid, AD, Jokic etc. His compe ion will carry the same talent, pedigree, but far less injury/at ude risk.
    Nonsense. He's a top 5 player in the NBA that had a fallout with his team. Plenty of teams will lineup to max him out. Sure, they'll check the medical status, but unless there's something serious, there's a lot of teams that will take that gamble.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nonsense. He's a top 5 player in the NBA that had a fallout with his team. Plenty of teams will lineup to max him out. Sure, they'll check the medical status, but unless there's something serious, there's a lot of teams that will take that gamble.
    Not saying teams won't gamble on him, but he's exactly that right now. A gamble. And why pursue the gamble first when you can use the same max dollar slot to pursue a Paul George, LeBron, Anthony Davis etc.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not saying teams won't gamble on him, but he's exactly that right now. A gamble. And why pursue the gamble first when you can use the same max dollar slot to pursue a Paul George, LeBron, Anthony Davis etc.
    Exactly. No team would offer up their best player or a high-value talent for perhaps a one year rental. We are screwed either way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Teams have taken bigger gambles on lesser players. Kawhi will be fine.

My Team
    Cleveland Cavaliers
    Post Count
    You assume too much. When he's healthy, he's a top 5 player. We might have seen the last of that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man, still crazy to believe how badly this situation has unfolded since last season.

Can't believe the Spurs are a few months away from trading away Kawhi (i'd put it at near 95% at this point tbh).

Really hope they completely blow it up after, trade Lamarcus and hopefully attach the Fatty/Pau contracts. Get as many first rounders as possible this draft and the next and figure out who's going to take over for Pop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man, still crazy to believe how badly this situation has unfolded since last season.

Can't believe the Spurs are a few months away from trading away Kawhi (i'd put it at near 95% at this point tbh).

Really hope they completely blow it up after, trade Lamarcus and hopefully attach the Fatty/Pau contracts. Get as many first rounders as possible this draft and the next and figure out who's going to take over for Pop.
    I agree with everything you said except for trading LMA. He put the team on his back this season and balled out through injury. Keep him and rebuild. Unless he wishes to be traded, which is 100% possible since he probably is looking to be on a contending team, not a lottery one.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the one year rental thing is a little overstated. With the exception of maybe Philly, contending teams that might appeal to Leonard like Boston and LAC will need a trade in order to also acquire his bird rights. Look at Boston alone. They’ll have three max or near max deals with just what they have now.

Same for Clips and Cleveland. Assuming Jordan and Rivers (lol) opt-in Clips aren’t in a better place next summer either. Cavs financial situation is just dire.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    I think the one year rental thing is a little overstated. With the exception of maybe Philly, contending teams that might appeal to Leonard like Boston and LAC will need a trade in order to also acquire his bird rights. Look at Boston alone. They’ll have three max or near max deals with just what they have now.

Same for Clips and Cleveland. Assuming Jordan and Rivers (lol) opt-in Clips aren’t in a better place next summer either. Cavs financial situation is just dire.
    Even if Austin and DJ opt in, we still have plenty of cap space in 2019. Not exactly "dire."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not even then. Part of the rule is you have to play with the team that drafted you in order to be eligible

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Again, even though I don’t think they would, they should not trade Kawhi. Make him suffer both the financial and basketball ramifications of his decisions.

Make sure he loses 70M. Make sure you limit his options on where he can play to teams that have capspace when he’s a free agent after next season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is there a window to how long they can offer the supermax?

Meaning they refuse trade him this summer, force him to play next year. He balls out and Spurs would be able to offer him 60-80mil more than any other team?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Again, even though I don’t think they would, they should not trade Kawhi. Make him suffer both the financial and basketball ramifications of his decisions.

Make sure he loses 70M. Make sure you limit his options on where he can play to teams that have capspace when he’s a free agent after next season.
    Did Kawhi turn down your daughter?

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yes dump Aldridge for picks and/or prospects while he has value. People at Spurstalk have such short memories. Eleven months ago this guy couldn't score on James ing Harden in the post. Pringles was sending James Harden to guard this guy in the post and he wasn't making him pay for it. Now everyone wants to act like he's some franchise legend for one season leading the team to a 7-seed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Highly doubt that Pop and the front office would want that distraction looming around the team all of next year again. I'm pretty convinced that their image of Leonard is beyond repair (can't really say I blame them) and they probably want a fresh start by moving him this summer tbh.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If they trade him he can't get the supermax anyways. He'd have to stay with the Spurs for one calendar year after signing it, they couldn't sign him to a supermax and then send him off to Boston or LA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes dump Aldridge for picks and/or prospects while he has value. People at Spurstalk have such short memories. Eleven months ago this guy couldn't score on James ing Harden in the post. Pringles was sending James Harden to guard this guy in the post and he wasn't making him pay for it. Now everyone wants to act like he's some franchise legend for one season leading the team to a 7-seed.

Thread Information