My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A judge on Monday dismissed a lawsuit that would have removed more than 80 Democrats from the November general election ballot, putting to rest a controversy that threatened to toss Dallas County elections into chaos.

State District Judge Eric Moyé issued an order tossing out Dallas County Republican Party Chairwoman Missy Shorey's lawsuit against Democratic Party Chairwoman Carol Donovan and 127 Democrats originally listed on the March 6 primary election ballot. After the primary, the names of the candidates that were in jeopardy dwindled to 82.

The lawsuit contended that Donovan did not sign the candidate applications of 127 Democrats before they were forwarded to the Texas Secretary of State's office. That signature, according the lawsuit, was needed in order to certify the candidates for the election.

But Moyé on Monday sided with the defense and dismissed the claims. In a hearing Friday a team of lawyers, led by Randy Johnston, argued that Shorey did not have standing to bring the suit. They also said Donovan isn't required by law to sign candidate pe ions and that the matter is moot because the election is already underway. In his order, Moyé didn't elaborate on the reasons he dismissed the controversial lawsuit.

"We are delighted to have this matter behind us. This decision ensures that democracy has been protected," Donovan said Monday. "Democrats will not be divided or distracted. We will continue to defend the rights of voters to choose their elected officials at the ballot box."

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2018...ember-election

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I knew the GOP plays dirty, but this is a new low.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Pretty stupid move on the GOP's part. Sounds like the regs are pretty well spelled out. The legal standing is pure rookie.

Thread Information