Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sad part is, Gasol looked good for about half of last season. The dude has got nothing left, it's just sad watching him play. He is clearly done.
    People would be singing a far different tune if Pau was terrible early in the season and turned it on late, but the end result is the same.

As one of only 2 big men worth a damn on the team, the Spurs need to hold on to him. A straight salary dump doesn't help much. Of course, trading him and signing or trading for other bigs is a good idea but might not be possible.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And Porker said he wants to play till 40 awhile back. We’ll see. He can want to all he wants, but that doesn’t mean he’ll get offers to.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even though Pau's scoring has fallen off a cliff, he still is a poor man's Duncan (at least, old Duncan)...good passing big, can defend the rim, and occasionally has some breakout games.

That being said...he ain't ing worth $16M....but there are also a lot of other low-to-mid tier bigmen that are being overpaid in the NBA.

If the Spurs don't find a way to move him (which I doubt they will, because "culture" and what not)....he better be ready to take the ing minimum and ride the bench if he wants to go another 4 years.
    Agreed. He’s still a good piece, just not for the price.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gasol needs to be the third center off the bench... He isn't fir for today's NBA... he should be a 3rd string situational big

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    People would be singing a far different tune if Pau was terrible early in the season and turned it on late, but the end result is the same.

As one of only 2 big men worth a damn on the team, the Spurs need to hold on to him. A straight salary dump doesn't help much. Of course, trading him and signing or trading for other bigs is a good idea but might not be possible.
    Patty was horrible to start the season and turned it on late. So perception has a lot of recency bias. Neither was consistently good and Pa u is overpaid for bench big that is bad at rebounding...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As a backup like West, Gasol is right. The Spurs still need a quality big to go next to LMA.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even if he says 3-4 more years, spurs may not hire beyond his contract. He can want him, but its not a given that they'll keep him around beyond the 2 years left on his contract.

And bright spot, only 2 years left on Pau's contract and 3 years on Pattys, if I'm not mistaken ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs are likely stuck with Gasol for two more years.

The only good thing is that the season after next, his contract is just partially guaranteed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even if he says 3-4 more years, spurs may not hire beyond his contract. He can want him, but its not a given that they'll keep him around beyond the 2 years left on his contract.

And bright spot, only 2 years left on Pau's contract and 3 years on Pattys, if I'm not mistaken ...
    That's about as bright as a whale's butthole.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one should ever want to retire in the Spurs system. Play 10 minutes a night at half speed and get $16M? How do I sign up?

The FO will have to grow some balls and tell TP and Gasol that they’re done. They’ll never quit on their own. What a horrible personnel investment those two have been this past season.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Last summer we were ing about $50 mil to patty and $48 to Pau ....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this

I hate this guy more than Richard Jefferson.
    I actually do, too. The guy could have made the decision to come play for the Spurs rather than the Bulls back when it would have made a difference.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I actually do, too. The guy could have made the decision to come play for the Spurs rather than the Bulls back when it would have made a difference.
    And yet he gets the fat *loyalty* contract while Dedman, Simms, others are shown the door.
    It's got to be a huge minority, certainly super low BBIQ poster who thinks the man behind the Gasol joke is anything other then forced retirement status. ><

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's all about the money.

In the Summer of 2014, they could only offer the MLE, so naturally he chose the Bulls who gave him the cash.

Then, when the Spurs had cash to spend in 2016, he conveniently chose the Spurs after they struck out on Kevin Durant.

Who knows what kind of discount he gives the Spurs had they landed Chris Paul. My guess is he would've left.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one should ever want to retire in the Spurs system. Play 10 minutes a night at half speed and get $16M? How do I sign up?

The FO will have to grow some balls and tell TP and Gasol that they’re done. They’ll never quit on their own. What a horrible personnel investment those two have been this past season.
    Parker was understandable considering his history with the team and the fact that he was playing really well before he went down in last year's playoffs. He deserved the chance to recover from his injury and try to make a comeback...it just didn't pan out.

As for Gasol, it was a stupid contract then and it's an even stupider contract now. It was nice and all of him to opt out and give the Spurs a chance to chase some free agents, but that didn't net a goddamn thing and "rewarding" him for it is going to be a hindrance going into this offseason.

Thread Information