Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    Germany
    Post Count
    At the amount of arrogance and ignorance in one post.....

Myths usually form either through influential people not doing their homework, people looking for what suits their agenda instead of what's right or a German bull ter trying to retell history by trying to fit a square bomb into a round narrative without anyone noticing the stench.

Peak Valdano, peak Burruchaga (game winner in finals), Brown, Batista, Enrique, Ruggeri, Pumpido ( conceded 5 goals all tournament- two on set pieces in finals). Maradonna may have been the Argentina's talisman and best player on the pitch but it was NOT a one man show. And regadless of publc opinion, Carlos Bilardo was a great manager.

Also, Germany was one of the favorites to win the world cup (5 to 1) behind host country Brazil so don't give me that inexperienced, just happy to be there bull . They were young, but very talented.

And Prima donna wouldn't have a single WC to his name if it wasn't for Pasculli vs Uraguay and the "Hands of god" goal ( otherwise known as "illegal" goal in today's soccer but the soccer gods back in the day were much more liberal on what was and wasn't a good goal) vs England.

You bring up the Guantlet in 1990 as if it was Maradona and a bunch of merry men humbly graced to be in the presences of Greatness when in fact that Argentina team was the equivalent to the 2016 Euro Cup Portugal team, without the hardware. Argentina scored only 5 goals the entire tournament. They won with stealth defense and penalty shoot out wins. And yeah, they were completely out classed in the finals by West Germany. Words I would use to best describe Argentina's performance in the finals of the world cup... weak, pathetic and lucky to be there! The World cup finals between Argentina and West Germany was also cited as being of the lowest qualty football of all World Cup finals. Meanwhile, Maradona had zero goals beyond group stage and even managed to miss his penalty kick against Yugoslavia in the Quarter finals that would have won it. Thank god for back up goalie Goycochea in net saving two blasts that could have won it for Yugo (Who were playing with 10 men for much of the match) before Dezotti netted the winner.

revisionist history at its finest.

this smh

sons half that argentina team was injured that tournament, stop giving me the with peak this peak that, I was IN MOTHER ING italy back then, they had MASSIVE injury problems ( burruchaga, valdano, ruggeri, gusti, caniggia, pumpido's leg and more). Even maradona played through serious injury (infected toe + swollen ankle + back spasms), and that was truly visible in his play. Didn't matter, he played against his doctor's strong recommendations. Of course the other teams knew this, so they fouled the outta them.

Calling me revisionist and saying stealth defense and stacked team when that was an injured team standing on their (literally) last legs that had no choice but to defend as it lacked the personnel for any other tactic.

Also thank god for Goycochea is truly a "bran needs kyrie " woke take.

so sons please go back to reading box scores from 30 years ago

lmao your whole post was like the "2014 heat were stacked " takes

65 tons of American pride Canyonero's Avatar
    My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    Sons I'm not reading all that tbh

My Team
    Germany
    Post Count
    Every day i pray to Based Götze for not letting midget off the hook and not let him win an extremely undeserving World Cup.

Based Götze

Question for the residents germans, is Götze seen as a national hero and celebrated? Mother er better have a statue or at least a avenue, square named after him.

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    what up son. which part of my post didn't you like tbh?
    The part where you act like Germany wasn't the prohibitive favourite before the final.

The part where you act like Germany wasn't the prohibitive favourite before the final.
    Thats because of the 7-1 semi finals but before the tournament Argentina was the favourite.

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    Thats because of the 7-1 semi finals but before the tournament Argentina was the favourite.
    Argentina wasn't THE favourite. Was one of 3 or 4 favourites among bet odds, but that was just because Messi. Without him Argentina wouldn't have even been among the top 10.

Argentina wasn't THE favourite. Was one of 3 or 4 favourites among bet odds, but that was just because Messi. Without him Argentina wouldn't have even been among the top 10.
    Argentina didnt need messi goals to make it to the finals. Thats a fact.

Your opinion is pure fanboy

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    Argentina didnt need messi goals to make it to the finals. Thats a fact.

Your opinion is pure fanboy
    Argentina without Messi wouldn't have made it past the group stage.

Argentina without Messi wouldn't have made it past the group stage.
    Ah..

Typical messi. He only ever matters in the group stages.

Veteran
    My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    Every day i pray to Based Götze for not letting midget off the hook and not let him win an extremely undeserving World Cup.

Based Götze

Question for the residents germans, is Götze seen as a national hero and celebrated? Mother er better have a statue or at least a avenue, square named after him.
    Meehhh... he may not make the WC 2018 He has an illness which makes him take breaks here and there. He was celebrated for the goal but just a few days

My Team
    Germany
    Post Count
    Meehhh... he may not make the WC 2018 He has an illness which makes him take breaks here and there. He was celebrated for the goal but just a few days
    best position tbh, rangz + lots of money + hot wag + watching your NT go for a repeat while drinking pure german beer. life's good tbh.

My Team
    Germany
    Post Count
    tbh I like your odds trolling thing, really nice and subtle tbh

but brasil had 3-2 odds of beating germany before their semi-finals, so that's a nice example of showing why odds from oddsmakers:
    - are for casual fans betting on team names not on teams
    - do not take matchups or experience into account (germany was rather poor against very strong defenses as it played a rather inflexible positional offense)
    - do not take goat players into account (playing vs messi, in south america )

so it's obvious that the finals odds were different from the pre-compe ion odds as the oddsmakers were trying to lure the casuals into hype votes.
    also if you want to have an even funnier discussion let's talk about why argentina's pre world cup odds have shrunk during the world and the correlation between this fact and messi's hype vs real play in NT tournaments.
    nice trolling though, maybe these young s learn something from the craft , god bless.
    Last edited by dfens; 05-05-2018 at 04:38 AM.

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    Says odds from oddmakers are but:

-oddmakers said Germany was the favourite over Argentina.
    -he is saying Argentina was the favourite.
    -the winner was Germany.

So, who is the one with ty predictions?

My Team
    Germany
    Post Count
    Says odds from oddmakers are but:

-oddmakers said Germany was the favourite over Argentina.
    -he is saying Argentina was the favourite.
    -the winner was Germany.

So, who is the one with ty predictions?
    it's ok if you can't read son, missi is gon ring this time statistically by now he should've rang one already tbh

My Team
    Real Madrid CF
    Post Count
    smh what a ing disaster of a post

please tbh, that's some hours revisionist theory bull fairweather fan trumpvoting crap.

peak messi, peak piguain, peak aguero, peak di maria, peak romero, peak lavezzi.
    good pieces from manchester city like zabaleta and demichelis, and garay, together working for one of the best defenses in the compe ion.
    a competent coach in sabella.
    one of the all time easiest paths to the final.
    against one of the least experienced teams in the tournament, who before the semifinal thrashing of brasil was just another SF team, but after that the media hyped it to oblivion.

and yes higuain is a good player and juventus spent insane money to get him.

lmao comparing it to maradona's gauntlet in 1990 of a super tough group (soviet, strong romania, best cameroon), brasil, yugoslavia, italy at home and west germany (who after fall of wall played very hard for the nation). Just lol son
    you millenneal kids need to tone down the talking about that happened before your dadies lost their virginity

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    it's ok if you can't read son, missi is gon ring this time statistically by now he should've rang one already tbh
    So, was Argentina the favourite coming into the final or not?

My Team
    Germany
    Post Count
    So, was Argentina the favourite coming into the final or not?
    oddsmaker favorite? no
    oddsmaker if we'd barely scrapped by brasil? yes
    oddsmaker before the tournament? yes
    football fan favorite? no
    should've argentina been the football fan favorite given their roster + would be goat? yes, no doubt.

stop hiding behind skirts my nig, you know damn well that strong roster + strong gk + strong coach + goat should ring or at least put up a fight and not lose like the raptors tbh... tbh that's what was bothering, lose or win it's still a finals so congrats anyway but to lose it without puting a fight is just sad tbh. You'd think a goat player would've showed some pride/guts/brilliance and would've made something outta nothing.

My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    oddsmaker favorite? no
    should've argentina been the football fan favorite given their roster + would be goat? yes, no doubt.

stop hiding behind skirts my nig, you know damn well that strong roster + strong gk + strong coach + goat should ring or at least put up a fight and not lose like the raptors tbh... tbh that's what was bothering, lose or win it's still a finals so congrats anyway but to lose it without puting a fight is just sad tbh. You'd think a goat player would've showed some pride/guts/brilliance and would've made something outta nothing.
    "Lose like the Raptors" since when is losing in extra time, while being the underdog, losing like the Raptors?

Stop coming at me with re ed takes son. I have better things to do.

My Team
    Manchester City FC
    Post Count
    this smh

sons half that argentina team was injured that tournament, stop giving me the with peak this peak that, I was IN MOTHER ING italy back then, they had MASSIVE injury problems ( burruchaga, valdano, ruggeri, gusti, caniggia, pumpido's leg and more). Even maradona played through serious injury (infected toe + swollen ankle + back spasms), and that was truly visible in his play. Didn't matter, he played against his doctor's strong recommendations. Of course the other teams knew this, so they fouled the outta them.

Calling me revisionist and saying stealth defense and stacked team when that was an injured team standing on their (literally) last legs that had no choice but to defend as it lacked the personnel for any other tactic.

Also thank god for Goycochea is truly a "bran needs kyrie " woke take.

so sons please go back to reading box scores from 30 years ago

lmao your whole post was like the "2014 heat were stacked " takes
    I can't tell which is more impressive, your reading comprehension or that goal post moving? I was clearly talking about the 1986 team being stacked on all fronts and not a one man band like many revisonists like to claim. Nobody is disputing who the star of the show was but to say Maradona didn't have help would be both foolish and ignorant.

I'm not really sure why you brought up 1990 because Maradona was flat out unremarkable and had no more to do with that WC finals berth as his injury plagued teammates did. If you want a comparison for that WC team, look no further than Sweden (W) in the Rio Olympics. Park the bus and pray for a mistake by the opposition.

Take Messi off the 2014 team and there's a good chance they miss qualification.
    Last edited by Hoops Czar; 05-07-2018 at 01:14 AM.

My Team
    Manchester City FC
    Post Count
    oddsmaker favorite? no
    oddsmaker favorite? Brazil
    oddmaker favorite if we'd barely scrape by Brazil? Germany/Argentina
    oddsmakers before the tournament? Brazil.
    Football Fan favorite? Brazil
    should've argentina been the football fan favorite given their roster + would be goat? Brazil
    Last edited by Hoops Czar; 05-07-2018 at 01:12 AM.

My Team
    Germany
    Post Count
    I can't tell which is more impressive, your reading comprehension or that goal post moving? I was clearly talking about the 1986 team being stacked on all fronts and not a one man band like many revisonists like to claim. Nobody is disputing who the star of the show was but to say Maradona didn't have help would be both foolish and ignorant.

I'm not really sure why you brought up 1990 because Maradona was flat out unremarkable and had no more to do with that WC finals berth as his injury plagued teammates did. If you want a comparison for that WC team, look no further than Sweden (W) in the Rio Olympics. Park the bus and pray for a mistake by the opposition.

Take Messi off the 2014 team and there's a good chance they miss qualification.
    bold : come on son for s sake, '14 argentina isn't ing portugal. They had an excellent defense, an excellent coach, an excellent penaldo keeper and even without messi they had heavy offensive pieces. Sure without messi they aren't big contenders but to not qualify

Also diego had a strong team in '86, won't deny it.

Son why not bring up the u'15 championships while you're at it with the olympics, nobody gives a about that, hence only a handful of teams ever grace the semifinals, let alone ring. Lmao winning world cups by parking the bus and praying. You still need a load of talent to progress.

also I'll do all the misty fans a favor and not compare diego's runs with missi's, that was one of the reasons for which I spoke about '90, an ailing old man coked maradona with a crippled team had as much success against MUCH stiffer opposition as peak missi had in '14 with a very strong squad against weak opposition. I won't talk about '86, in just one run diego scored more than missi at all the world cups, against contenders too not against nigeria........ tbh this whole comparison is unfair so I'll just drop it tbh.

My Team
    Germany
    Post Count
    oddsmaker favorite? Brazil
    oddmaker favorite if we'd barely scrape by Brazil? Germany/Argentina
    oddsmakers before the tournament? Brazil.
    Football Fan favorite? Brazil
    should've argentina been the football fan favorite given their roster + would be goat? Brazil
    that's my point son, oddsmaker and casual fan odds don't mean . Any knowledgeable football fan didn't rate Brasil as a contender in '14. That's why I was pointing out to my nig Canyonero.
    Strong team + great offensive pieces + great defense + good coach + very good penaldo keeper + GOAT should be >>>> young germany team playing in south america .. idgaf how you spin that, it's what any coach would tell you .. well, they could say missi is not the goat or that he choked..

Veteran
    Post Count
    Not gonna bother addressing the usual agenda BS I read on here but ...

CROFL at the guy asking for Maradona's balón D'or, theyre in the same place as Pele's, moreno, garrincha, Didi, etc, in the hands of an undeserving European because Europeans are insecure pieces of and have preyed on South America footballers since the beginning to the sport, only reason Di Stefano and Sivori have theirs is because they sold their nationality.

And you want to talk about ignorance and revisionism, me

65 tons of American pride Canyonero's Avatar
    My Team
    CA River Plate
    Post Count
    that's my point son, oddsmaker and casual fan odds don't mean . Any knowledgeable football fan didn't rate Brasil as a contender in '14. That's why I was pointing out to my nig Canyonero.
    Strong team + great offensive pieces + great defense + good coach + very good penaldo keeper + GOAT should be >>>> young germany team playing in south america .. idgaf how you spin that, it's what any coach would tell you .. well, they could say missi is not the goat or that he choked..
    wut

Corpus Christi Spurs Fan Phenomanul's Avatar
    My Team
    Mexico
    Post Count
    Not gonna bother addressing the usual agenda BS I read on here but ...

CROFL at the guy asking for Maradona's balón D'or, theyre in the same place as Pele's, moreno, garrincha, Didi, etc, in the hands of an undeserving European because Europeans are insecure pieces of and have preyed on South America footballers since the beginning to the sport, only reason Di Stefano and Sivori have theirs is because they sold their nationality.

And you want to talk about ignorance and revisionism, me
    Add Hugo Sanchez to that list... the only deserving Mexican footballer.

Non European players were ineligible for the Balon D'Or until 1995 - when the selection field was opened to all.

Thread Information