Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, and there is no 80M shoe deal out there to make up for that difference

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nvm

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thanks a lot. That shows us the money differences.

One question, though, what are the lengths of those contracts. Are they all 5 year contracts, even the extensions? If not, what does the money turn out to be if you were to make them all 5 year contracts?
    The first two are 5 years I believe and FA is 4 years.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The uncle is rational in the sense that he is looking out for what will make HIM and his business venture the most money, not necessarily Kawhi.
    I don't necessarily disagree but, that doesn't make him irrational, that just makes him selfish.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You think Mr. Kawhi McCharming gets anywhere near Harden’s 15m/year? I don’t. He was lucky to get close 20M/4yrs during an injury year before uncle Denny interfered.

He’d have to earn 20M a year (only Lebron has that) to break even on the 80M shortfall during the term of the super max deal.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...ed-sources-say

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For those that want to know:

If Kawhi signs the SuperMax, it’s roughly 219M. Only San Antonio can offer that to him. No one else. He is eligible this upcoming season for the SuperMax. He can also earn it again by qualifying if he stays with SA this next season but does not sign the SuperMax this next season (that is a very unlikely scenario for many reasons.

If Kawhi does not get offered the SuperMax, SA can still sign him to a non-SuperMax max extension of roughly 180M. Kawhi can also get that extension from another team IF he is traded. But only if he is traded.

If Kawhi hits true free agency, he can sign roughly a 140M contract with that new team.
    Great post. Kl not smart. No max for him. If i were sa, i would sit him on bench all year and have sa docs say hes not cleared.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You think Mr. Kawhi McCharming gets anywhere near Harden’s 15m/year? I don’t. He was lucky to get close 20M/4yrs during an injury year before uncle Denny interfered.

He’d have to earn 20M a year (only Lebron has that) to break even on the 80M shortfall during the term of the super max deal.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...ed-sources-say
    He could make less than half of Harden’s deal and more than make up the difference between super-max/not.

It’s all a red herring. I don’t think Kawhi needs to be in a major market to get a Harden-sized shoe deal. I think he needs to be healthy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He could make less than half of Harden’s deal and more than make up the difference between super-max/not.

It’s all a red herring. I don’t think Kawhi needs to be in a major market to get a Harden-sized shoe deal. I think he needs to be healthy.
    7.5 * 5 = 37.5 or not even close to the difference. Not to mention that I'm not sure he can go to another franchise that is a big market and still not have to pay state income tax.

2004-2005 NBA Champions Barfunk's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He's very irrational. Let's see what he has done so far he has had an NFL agent who has no experience in the NBA and is in serious debt represent Kawhi. He has had Kawhi sit out a whole entire year with bs injury that he has always played with in hopes of getting him traded when he could have gone the Kyrie route and asked for a trade last summer. He also believes playing in SA is the reason why Kawhi hasn't gotten big endorsements when in reality it's because Kawhi has zero personality. This is equivalent to a fat guy who weights 400 pounds blaming other reasons besides his weight for why he can't get attractive women. He's also limited Kawhi's contact with the Spurs during this whole entire ordeal which again goes back to what I said earlier that if you want Kawhi out of SA then ask for a trade instead of pulling these charades.

Anyways I do agree with the rest of what are you saying.
    This. His uncle ain't worth a .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    7.5 * 5 = 37.5 or not even close to the difference. Not to mention that I'm not sure he can go to another franchise that is a big market and still not have to pay state income tax.
    Not sure where you’re getting your numbers. Harden’s deal is 200MM, so a shoe deal at 100MM isn’t inconceivable and would make up the delta in super max money.

As for availablity of a big market/SALT, you’re probably right. I’d imagine there’d be additional endorsements that could offset that hit. But I dunno.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    if he goes to the lakers cal will kill him with the taxes

Corpus Christi Spurs Fan Phenomanul's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The uncle is rational in the sense that he is looking out for what will make HIM and his business venture the most money, not necessarily Kawhi.

Extra Stout sighting!

Corpus Christi Spurs Fan Phenomanul's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't necessarily disagree but, that doesn't make him irrational, that just makes him selfish.
    or indifferent to the offer of loyalty that the Spurs franchise wishes to extend.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure where you’re getting your numbers. Harden’s deal is 200MM, so a shoe deal at 100MM isn’t inconceivable and would make up the delta in super max money.

As for availablity of a big market/SALT, you’re probably right. I’d imagine there’d be additional endorsements that could offset that hit. But I dunno.
    Harden's deal is longer than the length of the contract we're discussing so you'd have to compare the total to the total possible earnings via contracts if you want to do the totals. Harden's deal is 13 years while the contract we're talking about is 5. Plus, you also need to factor in the difference in a deal in the major market plus a shoe deal here. Kawhi turned down 20 million already, so he has to make that up to. Not to mention that the total reported is NOT what the athelete gets.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would Kawhi resign with Phoenix much less Sacramento?
    I never said he would sign with them an extension, I said the Spurs could trade him to PHX/SAC.

You shouldn't assume that his new team would ask for an extension as necessary condition to make the deal with the Spurs...The Suns and Kings are the type of teams that would accept just Kawhi's one year rental like OKC and PG13

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't have connections with the Spurs directly.

I do know people that do.
    It's likely done.

You didn't need to know someone to realize this...

His camp wanted the super-max, the Spurs weren't willing to give him it. End.

As simple as two options, give him the extension or trade him.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

You didn't need to know someone to realize this...

His camp wanted the super-max, the Spurs weren't willing to give him it. End.

As simple as two options, give him the extension or trade him.
    I've actually known about this for the past 4-5 months. Not just right now. You were one of the ones trying to call a bluff -- which was cute I must say.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I've actually known about this for the past 4-5 months. Not just right now. You were one of the ones trying to call a bluff -- which was cute I must say.
    Me? I was saying they wanted the super-max since last offseason. I have to find my offseason posts ...One of them said "the only scenario I can see Kawhi leaving SA is if the Spurs don't offer him the supermax"

People called me crazy to suggest that...Well, I wasn't crazy after all.

You said his uncle wanted to sign with one LA's team. That was just BS.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Me? I was saying they wanted the super-max since last offseason. I have to find my offseason posts ...One of them said "the only scenario I can see Kawhi leaving SA is if the Spurs don't offer him the supermax"

People called me crazy to suggest that...Well, I wasn't crazy after all.

About you, I was right. You said his uncle wanted to sign with LA's team. That was just BS.
    What proof do you have to say I wasn't right? Go read that whole thread, every comment I made about this situation. You're a dumbass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What proof do you have to say I wasn't right? Go read that whole thread, every comment I made about this situation. You're a dumbass.
    Because his camp ASKED FOR THE SUPERMAX. If his uncle would have wanted to go LA, he didn't even bother asking for the extension.
    Last edited by YGWHI; 05-10-2018 at 12:46 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because his camp ASKED FOR THE SUPERMAX. If his uncle would have wanted to go LA, he didn't even bother asking for the extension.
    That is a specious argument. Kawhi’s camp “asked” for the SuperMax (maybe) because they knew SA would not offer it after what they pulled (it appears, don’t know 100% yet). They wanted out and did surface level stuff for damage control.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs trade Kawhi, it will be because they didn't think he was worth the max, i.e., he has a degenerative injury and they fear he won't play through it or it will cut his career short. Then they trade him. No way Kawhi and his people are walking away from a supermax. A supermax is the ultimate respect for a player and Kawhi can't make up that money in endorsements.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No way is this fool getting a Super Max deal from the Spurs. Trade him and let’s all move on in our lives.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

So the spurs even in the offseason were unwilling to give Kawhi the supermax?? When he was allegedly healthy? That’s dumb... why??

Thread Information