My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Matty Choke is now the highest paid player in NFL history.

5 year, $150 mil
    $100 mil guaranteed
    content with mediocrity

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    are people going to make these threads every time a qb signs a contract? the market dictates this. falcons werent going to let Ryan walk and restart at qb

ryan is an above average/top 10 qb. when those guys are up for contracts, the going rate is always "more than the last one." its why i didnt crap on the carr signing or the stafford signing either. its why cousins got paid a bunch.

there is a level of qb play where it no longer makes sense to give these big contracts (imo, flacco was one of them, but they were paying him right after a legendary playoff run so he had leverage). eli is another one. i didnt see OP ting on jimmy g's contract (could be remembering wrong)

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    are people going to make these threads every time a qb signs a contract? the market dictates this. falcons werent going to let Ryan walk and restart at qb

ryan is an above average/top 10 qb. when those guys are up for contracts, the going rate is always "more than the last one." its why i didnt crap on the carr signing or the stafford signing either. its why cousins got paid a bunch.

there is a level of qb play where it no longer makes sense to give these big contracts (imo, flacco was one of them, but they were paying him right after a legendary playoff run so he had leverage). eli is another one. i didnt see OP ting on jimmy g's contract (could be remembering wrong)
    I didn't like that one either, but they gave themselves an out each year after two seasons. The guaranteed money also isn't as much (~$60 mil). Regardless of that, Garoppolo is 5 years younger and doesn't have a history of choking in big games.

My Team
    Oakland Raiders
    Post Count
    obviously dont expect ryan to repeat his MVP level 2016 season, but over the course of his career he's been a good qb. falcons would be dumb to reset. you can bank on him to throw for 4600 yards, 30 TD's, 15 INT's in a given year... and his postseason passer rating is higher than his regular season passer rating

he had his team in a position to win the SB but the coaching staff ed that up horribly by not just running the clock out during the 4th, and brady going god mode per par. falcons ended up with like 23 minutes time of possession which is unacceptable for a team leading all game and having 2 good running backs. and dat blitz pickup by freeman

in the 4th quarter, called a pass on 3rd and 1 that led to a sack/fumble
    with under 4 minutes to go, calling 3 consecutive pass plays... leading to a sack (out of field goal range), a holding penalty (stops the clock, farther out from field goal range), and then an incomplete pass (why are you going for that on 3rd and 33? just take the 40 seconds)

hard to pin that on matt ryan choking imho
    Last edited by spurraider21; 05-03-2018 at 03:57 PM.

My Team
    Carolina Panthers
    Post Count
    30 mill for a qb surrounded by the best collection of skill position players in the league on average for 3 straight years and elite offensive line.

that's $$$ you pay to a QB who can carry teammates not one whose hand has been held by Julio for half his career

We've got a job to do. Darth_Pelican's Avatar
    My Team
    New Orleans Saints
    Post Count
    Should have offered him 28.3 million per year, tbh

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Should have offered him 28.3 million per year, tbh

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Right now heading into the 2018 season, we have a slew of QB's who are the best QB that franchise has ever had.

Big Ben (sorry Terry)
    Aaron Rodgers (sorry Brett)
    Tom Brady
    Russell Wilson
    Drew Brees
    Eli Manning
    Matthew Stafford
    Cam Newton
    Joe Flacco
    Philip Rivers (sorry Dan)

and........Matt Ryan.

You take care of these special talents.

Post Count
    Right now heading into the 2018 season, we have a slew of QB's who are the best QB that franchise has ever had.

Big Ben (sorry Terry)
    Aaron Rodgers (sorry Brett)
    Tom Brady
    Russell Wilson
    Drew Brees
    Eli Manning
    Matthew Stafford
    Cam Newton
    Joe Flacco
    Philip Rivers (sorry Dan)

and........Matt Ryan.

You take care of these special talents.
    That's one way of putting it........

My Team
    Carolina Panthers
    Post Count
    Matty Choke is now the highest paid player in NFL history.

5 year, $150 mil
    $100 mil guaranteed
    content with mediocrity
    Not saying that I think he's worthy of this deal, but you do realize that your organization paid a back-up QB over twenty-seven million per year on a six game sample size? Even Mike Glennon had a solid year before burning out at not even close to that price.

obviously dont expect ryan to repeat his MVP level 2016 season, but over the course of his career he's been a good qb. falcons would be dumb to reset. you can bank on him to throw for 4600 yards, 30 TD's, 15 INT's in a given year... and his postseason passer rating is higher than his regular season passer rating

he had his team in a position to win the SB but the coaching staff ed that up horribly by not just running the clock out during the 4th, and brady going god mode per par. falcons ended up with like 23 minutes time of possession which is unacceptable for a team leading all game and having 2 good running backs. and dat blitz pickup by freeman

in the 4th quarter, called a pass on 3rd and 1 that led to a sack/fumble
    with under 4 minutes to go, calling 3 consecutive pass plays... leading to a sack (out of field goal range), a holding penalty (stops the clock, farther out from field goal range), and then an incomplete pass (why are you going for that on 3rd and 33? just take the 40 seconds)

hard to pin that on matt ryan choking imho
    I agreed with your first post, but this post I disagree with. Maybe its because I've watched Matt Ryan since college (he was in the same conference as my Alma Mater), but his softness has always been his downfall. I can't tell you how many times I've seen Matt Ryan lose a game against Carolina simply because he's soft. Whether it is a fumble in the redzone (multiple times), throwing a pick because the DE gets around the tackle and he launches it, or whatever - he has always found ways to lose in the biggest stages.

During that particular Super Bowl, I particularly remember Atlanta scoring late in the third and not turning it off because I knew Ryan was going to find a way to make that game a game. Of course he doesn't make the play calls, but Shanahan gives him three plays to pick from - and it didn't work out. That fumble was a perfect example of his career - both the ups and downs.

But also SuperCam makes a great point:

30 mill for a qb surrounded by the best collection of skill position players in the league on average for 3 straight years and elite offensive line.

that's $$$ you pay to a QB who can carry teammates not one whose hand has been held by Julio for half his career
    Matt Ryan has a great arm and is extremely accurate, and can tear apart zone defenses. But throughout his career he has had so many weapons its almost not fair to compare him to real elite QB's (Rodgers, Brady, Wilson, Newton, Rivers). Roddy White in his prime was a top three receiver, Tony Gonzalez is the best Tight End to ever play the game - Julio is the best receiver in the league - and he had all three of those at the same time. Then when White became a liability, they picked up Freeman, Coleman, Sanu, Hooper, and now Ridley. Imagine Philip with those weapons.

At the end of the day, like Avante said, Ryan is arguably the best QB to ever play for them, has a MVP, and led them to the Super Bowl. They had no choice. I would be happy with the contract.

My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    Not saying that I think he's worthy of this deal, but you do realize that your organization paid a back-up QB over twenty-seven million per year on a six game sample size? Even Mike Glennon had a solid year before burning out at not even close to that price.

I agreed with your first post, but this post I disagree with. Maybe its because I've watched Matt Ryan since college (he was in the same conference as my Alma Mater), but his softness has always been his downfall. I can't tell you how many times I've seen Matt Ryan lose a game against Carolina simply because he's soft. Whether it is a fumble in the redzone (multiple times), throwing a pick because the DE gets around the tackle and he launches it, or whatever - he has always found ways to lose in the biggest stages.

During that particular Super Bowl, I particularly remember Atlanta scoring late in the third and not turning it off because I knew Ryan was going to find a way to make that game a game. Of course he doesn't make the play calls, but Shanahan gives him three plays to pick from - and it didn't work out. That fumble was a perfect example of his career - both the ups and downs.

But also SuperCam makes a great point:

Matt Ryan has a great arm and is extremely accurate, and can tear apart zone defenses. But throughout his career he has had so many weapons its almost not fair to compare him to real elite QB's (Rodgers, Brady, Wilson, Newton, Rivers). Roddy White in his prime was a top three receiver, Tony Gonzalez is the best Tight End to ever play the game - Julio is the best receiver in the league - and he had all three of those at the same time. Then when White became a liability, they picked up Freeman, Coleman, Sanu, Hooper, and now Ridley. Imagine Philip with those weapons.
    No , and I already touched upon it earlier in the thread.

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count
    BUT......with no compe ion why does the NFL pay anyone the $$$$$$ they do? Never have understod that. What...the CFL, Arena league? Where is a talented footballer going to go?

It makes no sense to pay the outrageous $$$$$ the NFL pays the players.

For perspective: Atlanta Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan took home $42 million last year, enough to cover the salaries of every CFL player. Most estimates peg the average CFL salary around $80,000. The minimum for a rookie is $50,000.
    Last edited by Avante; 05-05-2018 at 11:09 PM.

Post Count
    BUT......with no compe ion why does the NFL pay anyone the $$$$$$ they do? Never have understod that. What...the CFL, Arena league? Where is a talented footballer going to go?

It makes no sense to pay the outrageous $$$$$ the NFL pays the players.

For perspective: Atlanta Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan took home $42 million last year, enough to cover the salaries of every CFL player. Most estimates peg the average CFL salary around $80,000. The minimum for a rookie is $50,000.
    THe NFL is competing against the NBA. Take the best athletes. Rewind 20 years ago. Julio or Lamar Jackson could be riding the bench in the NBA making more jack, guaranteed contracts, shoe deal's, longer shelf life, more opportunity after their playing career, safer conditions, etc.

Kobe or LeBron could have been an elite NFL player. Why tho?

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    My Team
    Dallas Cowboys
    Post Count
    THe NFL is competing against the NBA. Take the best athletes. Rewind 20 years ago. Julio or Lamar Jackson could be riding the bench in the NBA making more jack, guaranteed contracts, shoe deal's, longer shelf life, more opportunity after their playing career, safer conditions, etc.

was Jackson recruited for basketball?

Banned
    My Team
    San Francisco 49ers
    Post Count

Tom Brady
    Peyton Manning
    Aaron Rodgers
    Matt Ryan
    Drew Brees
    Matt Ryan
    Philip Rivers

....are in the NBA?

Joe Namath in the NBA? Reggie White? Lyle Alzado? How many of those 300 pounders are playing basketball?

There are 24 (kicker/punter) starters on an NFL team, there are five on an NBA team. NFL teams employ how many athletes compared to the NBA?

My Team
    Jacksonville Jaguars
    Post Count
    Mean while Bortles made the AFC champ game in his first run in the playoffs for a whopping 30 mil. Good luck falcons.

Thread Information