Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Surgery makes no sense. If that was the case why wait until now after he has already missed a season? He could have done that right after they shut him down mid-season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Surgery makes no sense. If that was the case why wait until now after he has already missed a season? He could have done that right after they shut him down mid-season.
    They think it gives them leverage. The Spurs would just dump him for a pick, and let someone else rehab his raggedy ass. Try to get that contract playing a partial season, asshole.

"A coach can't change people," Gregg Popovich said before the Spurs obliterated the Nets on New Year's Eve. "They are who they are. No matter what team you're talking about, a coach can be observant and try to put his team in situations both on and off the court where some of that can develop, some of the camaraderie sorts of things. But you can't change people."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If his group pulls that shit, I hope he gets MRSA in the hospital, and his fucking leg falls off.

I never wished an injury to any player so I wish him the best. While he doesn't play well against the Spurs, I'm fine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because they didn't get that diagnosis before?

Because he's under contract and his team-doctors don't agree about the practice/surgery?

Because calcifications shouldn't be removed too early, otherwise itís highly likely the bony deposit will again form in the muscle?

Because the player is so scared of this option that expects his quad gets healthy with a more conservative treatment?

Who knows.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s been with his team for 8 months! If they believed their diagnosis then what’s the hold up?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because they didn't get that diagnosis before?

Because he's under contract and his team-doctors don't agree about the practice/surgery?

Because calcifications shouldn't be removed too early, otherwise it’s highly likely the bony deposit will again form in the muscle?

Because the player is so scared of this option that expects his quad gets healthy with a more conservative treatment?

Who knows.
    Are you claiming to know he needs surgery, or just speculating? Not meant as a critique of you, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are you claiming to know he needs surgery, or just speculating? Not meant as a critique of you, tbh.
    Just speculating.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He’s been with his team for 8 months! If they believed their diagnosis then what’s the hold up?
    For the record...with NYC doctors just 3 months.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For the record...with NYC doctors just 3 months.
    Nope. August.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi consulted many other doctors. He started to work with these NY doctors just a few months ago.

Just in case...

"Leonard briefly returned to the Spurs for nine games from mid-December through mid-January. The Spurs were conservative in their approach. He'd play one game, then sit out the next game regardless of how many days later it was scheduled. After scoring 19 points in 28 minutes in a win over Denver on Jan. 13, he complained of soreness in the area once again. He traveled with the team to Atlanta -- a game he was scheduled to sit out anyway -- and Brooklyn, but instead of playing against the Nets, Popovich announced at shootaround that Leonard was being shut down indefinitely.
    "He didn't reinjure it or anything, but he was having pain, but not right after games, but maybe the next day at noon or that kind of thing and so the pain wasn't dissipating," Popovich said at the time. "It wasn't going in the right direction."

What Popovich did not say at the time, however, was that while Leonard was in New York, he saw Dr. Jonathan Glashow, an orthopedic surgeon and co-chair of Sports Medicine at New York City's Mount Sinai Medical Center who has professional affiliations with the New Jersey Devils and Philadelphia 76ers.
    Frankel and Robertson arranged the consultation, according to multiple sources, and the Spurs were informed of the decision and the doctor's recommendations. From this point forward, Glashow and his team have guided the rehabilitation program, sources said. The Spurs have had staffers in New York to observe and assist in Leonard's work, which has primarily taken place at the NBA Players Association headquarters in midtown Manhattan."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...-leonard-spurs
    Last edited by YGWHI; 1 Week Ago at 11:50 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the surgery angle is the difference between Kawhi and Tony. TP required surgery immediately. Kawhi was different and they tried to rehab him rightly or wrongly without surgery.

Regarding this thread, it’s very interesting to read and consider the many ways all this can go. Today while on a long road trip I heard Cowherd and his guest speculate about Kawhi’s future mainly based on all the “snarky” stuff Pop, Manu, and TP said to the press. Pop never attacked KL once and TP just spoke like he did in the Finals of 2013 “without a filter.”

Hopefully Kawhi can play and everything gonna be alright! Otherwise....I’ll be watching and waiting for the elephant to be born.

Who is this guy, again? travis2's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I realize that this one will make someone question what I am smoking, and I'm not putting this forth as any real possibility, but...

Given that the Spurs are above the cap but below the tax (this season, anyway), and the Warriors are well into luxury tax territory...Klay Thompson has 1 year left on his contract. He is within $1M of KL's salary, so even if the Spurs would need to take a low-salary junk player (or two) to make it more palatable, the numbers should work.

Thoughts?
    'First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then, shalt thou count to three. No more. No less. Three shalt be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then, lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it.'

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I realize that this one will make someone question what I am smoking, and I'm not putting this forth as any real possibility, but...

Given that the Spurs are above the cap but below the tax (this season, anyway), and the Warriors are well into luxury tax territory...Klay Thompson has 1 year left on his contract. He is within $1M of KL's salary, so even if the Spurs would need to take a low-salary junk player (or two) to make it more palatable, the numbers should work.

Thoughts?
    Uh Klay would walk, we couldn't tank unless we trade him and LMA, it makes the warriors less beatable, so no it's bad. Maybe a three team trade, but still why strengthen the warrrios?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thoughts?
    why would I want Klay when I've got Mills?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wouldn’t want Klay

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He can't requalify for the extension, because he'll be a free agent. Sure he can qualify for the bigger FA contract, but if that's his goal, why would that bother SA? He'd have to earn it, which means a great season for the Spurs.

Sure if Philly signs PG AND Lebron they won't be able to trade for Kawhi. But every team who missed out on those guys will only be more desperate. The Spurs miss out on undifferentiated picks, but plenty of offers thrown out there weren't based on those anyway

Because they'd run the risk of his leaving for nothing the following off season.

Few teams have both 1) have the requisite disposable assets and 2) a realistic shot at re-signing him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Because they'd run the risk of his leaving for nothing the following off season.

Few teams have both 1) have the requisite disposable assets and 2) a realistic shot at re-signing him.

That's not really a risk though. Kawhi can't get the DPE from any other team. If he plays the season out with the express goal of requalifying, he's not going anywhere.

Most teams who can trade for Kawhi now aren't using cap space or have picks as their main incentive. Those that are may have selected players SA likes. While I think every team would appreciate having Kawhi as soon as possible, for a player of his caliber, they'd make an exception.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's not really a risk though. Kawhi can't get the DPE from any other team. If he plays the season out with the express goal of requalifying, he's not going anywhere.

Most teams who can trade for Kawhi now aren't using cap space or have picks as their main incentive. Those that are may have selected players SA likes. While I think every team would appreciate having Kawhi as soon as possible, for a player of his caliber, they'd make an exception.
    Things can change though. There's already been problems, so whose to say they won't resurface? And if they do without him signed, the Spurs will have lost virtually all leverage going into the trade deadline.

The focus should be specifically on the 76ers. If they sign James and/or George, the Spurs would lose leverage.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    one thing to consider is that the draft takes place before teams can start talking to free agents so if you are the 76ers, do you stand pat on draft night and pick the player best suited to your needs or do you draft a player with the spurs in mind in case you later trade that player in a package for leonard? in other words, how can philly make a trade with SA on or before draft night if they don't even know the outcome of free agency yet? all i can guess is that they have an order of what players they want most and they will act accordingly.

eduardo galeano

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From what I've been able to gather, the Spurs cannot include any incentives in Kawhi's extension. Maybe DPG21920 or another avid tweeter on here can reach out to Mark Deeks or Larry Coon or another cap guy and confirm. But it seems like the best compromise for both sides is to give Kawhi a deal with max incentives so that Kawhi gets a deal worth well more than the any other team could give if he returns to form but doesn't break the bank too much if he doesn't.

Provided that my understanding of incentives is incorrect, this is the contract I'd pitch:

Year 2019 2020 2021 2022 2023 Total Average
    Total $37,117,500 $34,148,100 $34,148,100 $37,117,500 $40,086,900 $182,618,100 $36,523,620
    Base $31,815,000 $29,269,805 $29,269,805 $31,815,005 $34,360,206 $156,529,821 $31,305,964
    Incentives $5,302,500 $4,878,295 $4,878,295 $5,302,495 $5,726,694 $26,088,279 $5,217,656

Contrast that with a max offer from another team:

Year 2019 2020 2021 2022 Total Average
    Total $31,815,000 $33,405,750 $34,996,500 $36,587,250 $136,804,500 $34,201,125

$20 Million more guaranteed with the upside of $46 Million more. If he gets a PO in that final year, he'd make more in the first four seasons anyway if he plays at the caliber he used to. If he doesn't, SA gets him for a large but manageable contract. We're talking $60 Million less over the five seasons. Even if he's MVP caliber each year of the deal, SA saves about $33 Million over the life of the deal.
    So I looked to confirm this and it appears what you read is correct; no incentives in the DPE contract.

Thread Information