Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Durant was #2 pick, he always got media attention and he was open to them.

Saying Kawhi is a low-key guy it's not an excuse, it's a fact.
    My point it's not about having a crazy personality that gets you endorsements. You stated earlier that having a crazy personality gets you endorsements and I debunked that so you changed the narrative by deflecting and saying Kawhi is low key. Kawhi had plenty of opportunities to get the attention Durant was getting by the media.He never put himself out there like Durant did when it came to giving interviews with media. Anyways Kawhi being low key like you said makes him and his people come across as re ed for ing about lack of endorsements due to being in SA. Sounds like you are making excuses for him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi had plenty of opportunities to get the attention Durant was getting by the media.
    Not really, fans and media always saw him as a top player since his draft. That wasn't Kawhi's case.

He never put himself out there like Durant did when it came to giving interviews with media.
    This is true.

Anyways Kawhi being low key like you said makes him and his people come across as re ed for ing about lack of endorsements due to being in SA. Sounds like you are making excuses for him.
    Even a low-key guy has more opportunities in a big market.
    People talk about Boston/Los Angeles/NYC players all time...Just being on the roster help them.

Kawhi did it well on marketability terms playing for a small market, he got his first Jordan deal, was top selling jerseys...But if he gets traded to some bigger market he could improve it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not really, fans and media always saw him as a top player since his draft. That wasn't Kawhi's case.

This is true.

Even a low-key guy has more opportunities in a big market.
    People talk about Boston/Los Angeles/NYC players all time...Just being on the roster help them.

Kawhi did it well on marketability terms playing for a small market, he got his first Jordan deal, was top selling jerseys...But if he gets traded to some bigger market he could improve it.
    Durant didn't start getting attention from the media until OKC made the playoffs in 2010. Prior to that the only attention he received was during the draft but nobody cared about him afterwards until the '09-'10 season that's when he put himself on the map with leading the Thunder to the playoffs.

Like I said before you are deflecting this is not about Kawhi's potential to get big endorsements in a big market simply by playing there. This is about Kawhi and his people ing about SA holding him back from getting endorsements when I feel he held himself back since other guys like Lebron,Durant have proven location does not hold you back from getting endorsements.

Anyways name me a guy who has similar personality to Kawhi that has gotten tons of endorsements? I can't think of any. If you want to get endorsements you have to be willing to play the game which is to yourself out the media and make yourself visible on social media. Not SA's fault Kawhi was not willing to play that game. It seems like Kawhi wants to have it both ways which is have privacy like Duncan and also want to have Lebron-Durant level of fame. It doesn't work like that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Durant didn't start getting attention from the media until OKC made the playoffs in 2010. Prior to that the only attention he received was during the draft but nobody cared about him afterwards until the '09-'10 season that's when he put himself on the map with leading the Thunder to the playoffs.

Like I said before you are deflecting this is not about Kawhi's potential to get big endorsements in a big market simply by playing there. This is about Kawhi and his people ing about SA holding him back from getting endorsements when I feel he held himself back since other guys like Lebron,Durant have proven location does not hold you back from getting endorsements.

Anyways name me a guy who has similar personality to Kawhi that has gotten tons of endorsements? I can't think of any. If you want to get endorsements you have to be willing to play the game which is to yourself out the media and make yourself visible on social media. Not SA's fault Kawhi was not willing to play that game. It seems like Kawhi wants to have it both ways which is have privacy like Duncan and also want to have Lebron-Durant level of fame. It doesn't work like that.
    A quiet player with a similar personality getting ton of endorsements in the past...I won't mention a player with a flower as last name.

I doubt Kawhi would care about endorsements if he would have gotten a super-max deal, now he has to look for other ways to get money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A quiet player with a similar personality getting ton of endorsements in the past...I won't mention a player with a flower as last name.

I doubt Kawhi would care about endorsements if he would have gotten a super-max deal, now he has to look for other ways to get money.
    Do we have any idea if Kawhi has or hasn’t been offered a super-max deal. I think the Spurs will put it on the table, if he can play. I also believe they will discuss who he wants at his side. Kawhi will want to win and might work with Spurs to make sure they’ve got a team to surround him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do we have any idea if Kawhi has or hasn’t been offered a super-max deal. I think the Spurs will put it on the table, if he can play. I also believe they will discuss who he wants at his side. Kawhi will want to win and might work with Spurs to make sure they’ve got a team to surround him.
    Doubt they do either. To pay the SuperMax as a small market team, that player has be an integrated part of the program. The last year of that deal would be $49M. You don’t pay that to someone who sits out a season.

Kawhi and his team have their own agenda. They don’t care about the Spurs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ]A quiet player with a similar personality getting ton of endorsements in the past...I won't mention a player with a flower as last name.[/B]

Which player is that?

Kawhi's people wanted endorsements and the super max. Don't act like they didn't want both.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which player is that?

Kawhi's people wanted endorsements and the super max. Don't act like they didn't want both.
    He’s referring to Rose

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

The Spurs were Tim Duncan.
    They didn't have a ring before him and won't have any other without him.
    word

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Realgm article is saying the Spurs are planning on offering the entire max. Of course, who knows if that's true or more speculation. The more I think about it, the more I think Kawhi taking up 35% of the salary cap will hurt the Spurs chances to compete.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The best situation is Kawhi staying a Spur or more importantly signing a contract. Once he does that, SA totally owns the situation and like I’ve been saying: Even if Kawhi wants out, him signing still makes the most sense money-wise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The best situation is Kawhi staying a Spur or more importantly signing a contract. Once he does that, SA totally owns the situation and like I’ve been saying: Even if Kawhi wants out, him signing still makes the most sense money-wise.
    Assuming Kawhi only signs a Super Max (Everything on the internet speculates this) and from what I've read on this forum Spurs have to wait a year to trade him what does that to do his trade value next year? I read an article where the Spurs think this is a chronic issue. That would still be on the back of everyone's mind too right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Assuming Kawhi only signs a Super Max (Everything on the internet speculates this) and from what I've read on this forum Spurs have to wait a year to trade him what does that to do his trade value next year? I read an article where the Spurs think this is a chronic issue. That would still be on the back of everyone's mind too right?
    You do have to wait a year IF he signs the SuperMax. SA can offer him a non-SuperMax contract though and that goes away (but beside the point).

If it’s a really chronic issue, I don’t see the Spurs offering a huge deal but maybe. If Kawhi signs I’m assuming he plays unless there is a new injury so I don’t think it would be a situation where Kawhi signs and plans to sit out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You do have to wait a year IF he signs the SuperMax. SA can offer him a non-SuperMax contract though and that goes away (but beside the point).

If it’s a really chronic issue, I don’t see the Spurs offering a huge deal but maybe. If Kawhi signs I’m assuming he plays unless there is a new injury so I don’t think it would be a situation where Kawhi signs and plans to sit out.
    I would not make that assumption. If SA knuckles under to Uncle Fester, they may sit out to try to force a trade to LA. They haven't exactly been making rational decisions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would not make that assumption. If SA knuckles under to Uncle Fester, they may sit out to try to force a trade to LA. They haven't exactly been making rational decisions.
    That would be unprecedented in the NBA and would be a terrible pr move by Kawhi and his posse. On top of that I do not believe Kawhi would sit out after just losing 1 year of his prime already. You can tell he wants to be an NBA legend. I believe both parties will try to settle it out this off season. If not Kawhi will play his best on his 1 year and then probably sign with the Lakers (Worst case scenario).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That would be unprecedented in the NBA and would be a terrible pr move by Kawhi and his posse. On top of that I do not believe Kawhi would sit out after just losing 1 year of his prime already. You can tell he wants to be an NBA legend. I believe both parties will try to settle it out this off season. If not Kawhi will play his best on his 1 year and then probably sign with the Lakers (Worst case scenario).
    You think what they've done so far isn't both of those things?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That does not make any sense. If Kawhi signs an extension he has zero say on where he goes. They can send him wherever they want. Once Kawhi signs, he loses the leverage to truly control where he plays. Teams would gamble knowing Kawhi has no choice and if he wants to sit out then SA can do what they need to do to file a grieveance or ruin his career by calling his bluff for 5 years

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You think what they've done so far isn't both of those things?
    It's possible but again I don't see Kawhi letting another year of his prime go to waste and another media circus. I see him willing to play the year out and just signing next year vs sitting out in protest.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look, SA won’t get taken here. If they sign Kawhi there will be systems in place.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Realgm article is saying the Spurs are planning on offering the entire max. Of course, who knows if that's true or more speculation. The more I think about it, the more I think Kawhi taking up 35% of the salary cap will hurt the Spurs chances to compete.
    I hope that they offer him the 30% max instead; dare him to turn down ~$193 million which would help to mitigate the financial risks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    An underrated part of him signing the supermax, is that he can't be traded for a full year. If the relationship is still frayed then the Spurs could still move him and he would already be locked in for five seasons, increasing the number of teams who would potentially try to acquire him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi and his team have their own agenda. They don’t care about the Spurs.
    I wonder who pro player really cares about a franchise.

I doubt LBJ cares about Cavs, he left them before and will do it again...KD, Irving, Hayward, LMA...All players have their own agendas.

Kawhi's camp agenda in this next offseason is a supermax deal. I wouldn't blame them for trying to get the best contract...

A player needs to stay 10, 15 years in a city, feels the team like a family, to care about the franchise. That's why Tim Duncan was unique, unrepeatable.
    Last edited by YGWHI; 05-22-2018 at 10:14 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder who pro player really cares about a franchise.

I doubt LBJ cares about Cavs, he left them before and will do it again...KD, Irving, Hayward, LMA...All players have their own agendas.

Kawhi's camp agenda in this next offseason is a supermax deal. I wouldn't blame them for trying to get the best contract...

A player needs to stay 10, 15 years in a city, feels the team like a family, to care about the franchise. That's why Tim Duncan was unique, unrepeatable.
    Tim cared a lot quicker than 10-15 years. So did Tony and Manu. Tim opted out to create cap room for Kidd in 2003. Manu signed for $1.4M on his FIRST CONTRACT, after being the Euroleague Final Four MVP and beating the US team at the 2002 Worlds. Tony left $25-30M on the table with his first post-rookie contract. ALL of those were when they were about Kawhi's current age.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Uh, they also got the #8 overall pick. That ain’t chopped liver. If the keep him, be ready for more of the same next season. Better some return than nothing.
    Well if Leonard wants to see to it he is offered essentially the price of a big Mac and Coke on his next contract, by all means he will pull the same next season. I dare him to do it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tbh

Quite obvious Uncle Dennis doesn't give a about the optics of it all. Gotta admit that by choosing to bang heads with Pop and the most respected organization in the NBA he's proven to be a ballsy got in that regard. I honestly think it's pretty much the supermax or "I'm outta here" for him.

Thread Information