Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1-I truly believe Kawhi had a legit reason to sit, he was injured.

2-Until the Spurs drafted Kyle, Kawhi was the younger player on the team for many years...I like this old article talking about how much he wanted to be a positive leader since 2016.

Esp last part "he quietly deferred during the early portion of his career to Duncan, Parker and Ginobili while waiting in the wings for his role to gradually increase."

http://www.espn.com/blog/san-antonio...ame-leadership

It's hard to think this was his team last season with two HOFers still there...

The good thing is that thing started to change, Kawhi kept in contact with his younger teammates all season and finally players could see a mentor in him.
    The bad thing is that Parker/Manu aren't part of this relationship and all team was in a weird place after the "meeting"...having to support the locker room old leaders or Kawhi. Gasol opted to pick Manu/Parker side, Brandon and Danny still supported Kawhi in public.
    It's been his team to lead since Duncan walked out the door. If he grabbed the reins and led, neither Manu or Tony would have stood in the way. He didn't do that, remaining the silent sphinx.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Very stupid take... Can't sue for a medical holdout in this case
    Why not? Do you have some legal precedent? As I understand the law, they have been humoring him so far because he is, of course, a star. As they are paying the bills, the Spurs doctors are the ones who count... If he was 7th man, they might not be putting up with this behaviour. If him and his uncle are still trying to bend them over a table next year (ie he's still "not medically cleared"), what reason do they have to continue to humor him?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he grabbed the reins and led, neither Manu or Tony would have stood in the way.
    We don't know that, we don't know how Spurs' locker room works.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    (1) they played injured many times in their career;
    And missed many games in their careers due injuries, too. But it seems like we don't remember that.

I've seen people insinuate that a player wants to go somewhere and then have that player come out and call BS on the rumor. Kawhi never did that. So maybe it's true. I guess we'll see.
    In March, he told media he was working to return and admitted he wanted to finish his career as Spur. Another thing that people don't remember.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi can only be defended so much. He needs to man up and clear the air. If he doesn’t, you can bet Spurs will look like the victim once the dust settles.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And missed many games in their careers due injuries, too. But it seems like we don't remember that.

In March, he told media he was working to return and admitted he wanted to finish his career as Spur. Another thing that people don't remember.
    We all know that players miss games due to injuries. But I also remember Ginobili playing with a broken arm. Tim struggled through the 2005 season with plantar fasciitis and 2000 he wanted to play versus the Suns and Pop wouldn't let him. Parker has had injuries, but he's bounced back quickly from them, including last season's injury. Kawhi doesn't really have the same history and him not giving a go during the playoffs is a red flag to others that did. The fact that Kawhi was cleared to play is a big deal.

And while Kawhi did say that he wanted to remain a Spur, his actions have been very different. I've heard other players completely squash rumors. It's not like Kawhi said "I hear there are rumors of me wanting to go to L.A. to get better endorsements. That's nonsense. I've never said that and it's my goal to stay with the Spurs for life. Any report out there that says I'm demanding a trade or even asking to be traded is false."

But he doesn't say that. He makes a vanilla statement about wanting to stay with the Spurs and then he ditches the team to be in NY so none of his teammates could interact with him. And while I understand your desire to defend him, the media at large is noting his behavior and claiming that it looks like he wants out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Pssssh.....someone asked if he wanted to retire a Spur and he said something like "yeah sure." he never came out and said "I want to finish my career with the spurs."

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

No people remember it. They just dont believe it because he conciously stayed away from the team for months, even after his head coach's wife died(the head coach who drafted him, took him to the Finals multiple times).

I can't think of a single professional player across any sport who has acted like this.

He either wants to stay or doesnt. If he wants to leave, then everything he's done since March makes sense. If he does want to stay, then he's an injury prone ing weirdo who I personally don't want being the face of the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The fact that Kawhi was cleared to play is a big deal.
    He was cleared to play while he felt his quad wasn't right. And other doctors found calcifications on his leg that Spurs' doctors didn't. I wouldn't say it's the same case that other injured players.

I've heard other players completely squash rumors. It's not like Kawhi said "I hear there are rumors of me wanting to go to L.A. to get better endorsements. That's nonsense. I've never said that and it's my goal to stay with the Spurs for life. Any report out there that says I'm demanding a trade or even asking to be traded is false."
    Do you want Kawhi to say these lines? I never heard him putting those many words together...He's not that type of guy.

This is part of that tweet about "alienate" him. Media guys asked if he wanted to stay in SA, he said, yes.

If that's not enough for you, it's not his fault. He has always been the same guy.

And while I understand your desire to defend him, the media at large is noting his behavior and claiming that it looks like he wants out.
    If we think that Jabari Young has access to Kawhi, he always said the player wanted to stay and sign a super-max deal with SA. I believe the same.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If he does want to stay, then he's an injury prone ing weirdo who I personally don't want being the face of the Spurs.
    Unlike you, I'd love to have him playing for the Spurs again. Without him, this team can be back to being competetive with the right pieces, but won't be a contender again without him.

Thread Information