Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    smart move. hatred is a strong emotion.

[/FONT][/COLOR]no shortage of negative partisans on both sides, tbh
    This years events outline the failures of a two party system pretty clearly, IMO. When you have a Congress controlled by the same party as the President, the checks and balances built into the system break down.

One party governments, no matter which party that is, are corrosive to the public good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Some yahoo. Look it up.
    “Do my homework for me”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    smart move. hatred is a strong emotion.

[/FONT][/COLOR]no shortage of negative partisans on both sides, tbh
    Be careful though, in drawing equivalences. Are both sides equal in this regard? By what metric does one judge this?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    GOP can't get done without Dems; their own caucus is too unruly.

Similar with the Dems: can't hold the line.
    Not what I have seen from the trenches. Tension between establishment/progressives, but it definitely doesn't have the same level acrimony as the Tea Party fanatics do with their more moderate elements.

Huge pressure to put aside any differences to work together. Again, this is local to me, but from what I see bouncing around the liberal echo chamber, I would disagree with that assessment.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    it's a close bet. Dems are short of good ideas beyond hating the GOP and DJT.
    https://www.txdemocrats.org/our-part...arty-platform/

Not really. I think they are short of a coherent messaging strategy that cuts through the noise. Simplistic populist bull does that well, which is why the GOP wins that.

Any reasonable reading and comparison of the party platforms and proposals I think pretty clearly shows a disparity in policy solutions with the Democrats very clearly having more, and better ideas.

Conservatives and the GOP suffer from the "magical" thinking of religiosity in that their idea toolbox is hamstrung by their delusional belief that "free markets" are the only solution.

When you paint yourself into a corner and exclude a set of potential ideas because of concerns about ideological purity, you limit yourself.

Not that Democrats don't suffer from this to some degree, but again, be very wary of false equivalences. Both sides are NOT equal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As for the OP:

Runoff elections are always limited. We will see what happens in the fall.

I think it is closer than many think.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Be careful though, in drawing equivalences. Are both sides equal in this regard? By what metric does one judge this?
    I'd say there are striking similarities.

The GOP spent eight years stoking paranoia and fear, throwing on the wall and screaming about the illegitimacy of Obama.

If Dems to do the same, they're likely to be just as unready to rule whenever their turn comes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    As for the OP:

Runoff elections are always limited. We will see what happens in the fall.

I think it is closer than many think.
    Nah, huge red El Nino wave incoming. Easy money.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd say there are striking similarities.

The GOP spent eight years stoking paranoia and fear, throwing on the wall and screaming about the illegitimacy of Obama.

If Dems to do the same, they're likely to be just as unready to rule whenever their turn comes.
    I think any incoming administration at the Federal level would be pretty ready from day one, just like every previous administration before Trumps outlier.

We won't have 8 years to do the same anyway. Oddsmakers keep handicapping Trump's ability to finish even one term at less than 50%.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think any incoming administration at the Federal level would be pretty ready from day one, just like every previous administration before Trumps outlier.

We won't have 8 years to do the same anyway. Oddsmakers keep handicapping Trump's ability to finish even one term at less than 50%.
    Fantasy world

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Giuliani: It's not about collusion, it's all about getting impeached.

Not a direct quote..but close enough.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I dont see the <50%. Guys a tool and will probably be impeached if blue team gets the house but there is no way they get 2/3 of the senate for a conviction. Trump could give a about party so he wont resign and will go all the way to "vindicate" himself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

November 2016 took the prognosticators by surprise; it could happen again in 2020. Two years is a political eternity.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Meanwhile, in the polar opposite:

California Republicans hit rock bottom
    New figures show the once-proud state GOP has been relegated to third-party status.

SAN FRANCISCO — The state that spawned the "Reagan Revolution’’ and Richard M. Nixon just experienced a watershed moment — the California Republican Party was officially relegated to third-party status.

In the culmination of the withered state GOP’s long slide toward near-political irrelevance here, new voter registration data released this week show the once-robust party trails behind both Democrats and “no party preference” in the nation's most populous state. The California Republican Party is now outnumbered by independent voters by 73,000, according to Political Data Inc., which tabulates voter file data from county registrars.

The new figures come as the state looms large in the national battle for the House, with a handful of Republican-held seats poised to play a pivotal role in November.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...-status-613568

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not even sure was a Texas Democrat looks like, tbh...
    You've never seen a gay man in Texas in a cowboy hat?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not yet

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I dont see the <50%. Guys a tool and will probably be impeached if blue team gets the house but there is no way they get 2/3 of the senate for a conviction. Trump could give a about party so he wont resign and will go all the way to "vindicate" himself.
    Selling Republicans in the Senate short. Inherent in your statement here is that no Republican might cross party lines.

But hey, the Magic "R" means that you won't hold him to account either, hypocrite, so it shouldn't surprise me that is your underlying ASSumption. FWIW: Your giving Trump a total pass for all the stupid he does, and failure to hold him accountable for his corruption bewilders me.
    Last edited by RandomGuy; 06-01-2018 at 01:46 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, I have. easy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    November 2016 took the prognosticators by surprise; it could happen again in 2020. Two years is a political eternity.
    Every potential administration has teams ready to take things over. Every one.

Except for incompetent team Trump, who runs things like he runs his business: ineptly and thinly staffed, with loyalty being the only attribute considered for most things.

The Vanity Fair did a really good article on it, with direct reporting on the transition at the DOE, whose most important function escapes Trump sip-otters.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017...-michael-lewis
    “The election happened,” remembers Elizabeth Sherwood-Randall, then deputy secretary of the D.O.E. “And he won. And then there was radio silence. We were prepared for the next day. And nothing happened.” Across the federal government the Trump people weren’t anywhere to be found. Allegedly, between the election and the inauguration not a single Trump representative set foot inside the Department of Agriculture, for example. The Department of Agriculture has employees or contractors in every county in the United States, and the Trump people seemed simply to be ignoring the place. Where they did turn up inside the federal government, they appeared confused and unprepared. A small group attended a briefing at the State Department, for instance, only to learn that the briefings they needed to hear were classified. None of the Trump people had security clearance—or, for that matter, any experience in foreign policy—and so they weren’t allowed to receive an education. On his visits to the White House soon after the election, Trump’s son-in-law, Jared Kushner, expressed surprise that so much of its staff seemed to be leaving. “It was like he thought it was a corporate acquisition or something,” says an Obama White House staffer. “He thought everyone just stayed.”
    Last edited by RandomGuy; 06-01-2018 at 02:01 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Vanity Fair did a really good article on it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Good journalism is good journalism. Dismissing information sight unseen is not an effective way to accurately determine truth.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So what, exactly, are these ideas coming from the right? Do tell
    "it is a great and moral idea to rip blind 6 year olds from their mother at the border because we hate brown people"

Seems to be the popular idea they are putting out there for the rest of us to accept.

I'll take a pass on that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not sure what you're asking

Thread Information