Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t know man, starting to think the best thing for both sides is for Leonard to stick it out next year, and figure out the future later. Because Leonard has a lot of power on where he will extend, there aren’t many trade packages that seem appealing heading into the draft.

We’re really talking about Cs, Sixers, and Clippers heading into the draft. Cavs are hamstrung until they know about James’s postion which will be after the drafts. The Cs and Sixers will lowball the Spurs, and the Clips have an underwhelming best offer of Harris and their two late firsts.
    Neither the Cs or Sixers will want to see the other get him. They would have to collaborate to keep the price down, and they won’t. The Clippers picks aren’t late first rounders. They’re both in the lottery, and higher picks than the one used to select Kawhi. You get nothing if he plays here next year. He’ll walk for sure. There is no longer an advantage for the player to do a sign and trade. Bird rights are no longer even conveyed on such a trade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It’s not a story or consideration cause Kawhi status is up in the air..but once that domino falls things will heat up quick. If Kawhi stays in SA it comes down to Houston or SA..

If Kawhi leaves anything is up in the air..
    Full specualtion. I think he will stay in Cleveland, and I actually think he prefers both Boston and Philly above Spurs or Houston simply because of GSW's dominance.
    I would love to get him here, but the chances are slim. Very slim.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Full specualtion. I think he will stay in Cleveland, and I actually think he prefers both Boston and Philly above Spurs or Houston simply because of GSW's dominance.
    No way in he goes to Boston... Not in a billion years... It's SA, HOU, Phil in that order

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    No way in he goes to Boston... Not in a billion years... It's SA, HOU, Phil in that order
    Boston makes the most sense if he wants to keep that NBA Finals streak going. If hes on the 76ers or stays with Cavs Boston still has enough to beat them in a 7 game series if they are healthy. If he can call Kyrie and they can work it out it's his best chance to knock off the Warriors next season. He would have to take less to keep the roster deep though and their main players together (Horford, Irving, Tatum, Hayward, etc). I don't see it happening because Irving is there but I would not put it past Danny Ainge to trade Irving back to Cavs in a sign and trade for James and sign Cousins or Paul George. I kind of like that it makes the East deeper, Toronto, Boston, Cavs, 76ers. I don't see it though even if it makes the most sense because LeBron seems to have a beef with anything Boston (one of the reasons he went to Miami Heat).

I'd say you are correct, Spurs, Rockets or 76ers.
    Last edited by Chillen; 06-05-2018 at 05:06 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Boston makes the most sense if he wants to keep that NBA Finals streak going. If hes on the 76ers or stays with Cavs Boston still has enough to beat them in a 7 game series if they are healthy. If he can call Kyrie and they can work it out it's his best chance to knock off the Warriors next season. He would have to take less to keep the roster deep though and their main players together (Horford, Irving, Tatum, Hayward, etc). I don't see it happening because Irving is there but I would not put it past Danny Ainge to trade Irving back to Cavs in a sign and trade for James and sign Cousins or Paul George. I kind of like that it makes the East deeper, Toronto, Boston, Cavs, 76ers. I don't see it though even if it makes the most sense because LeBron seems to have a beef with anything Boston (one of the reasons he went to Miami Heat).

I'd say you are correct, Spurs, Rockets or 76ers.
    You guys are fully delusional. What can we offer? Our so-called FP played like 6 games last year, and is away from the team since then. Or coach is old, stubborn and can't adjust to the modern NBA anymore. Our starting center is 37 years old and can't play in the modern age NBA. The rest of the roster is either too young to compete or old as dust, can't shoot or too short. Other than LMA, what can we offer? Be honest guys, would you choose SA over Philly? Over Houston or even the Cavs? This team would be pretty good in the late 90's, eary 00's but not anymore.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That people who claimed Kawhi kept certain teammates in the loop where not correct. That casts some more light onto the Kawhi situation since many people assumed it was just TP/Manu that Kawhi didn’t really communicate with hence the player only meeting.

It was not just TP/Manu though - it was the entire team in the dark.
    I didn't hear a single guy saying that Kawhi was talking about his injury, rehab, future...about everthing with his teammates.

But it's stupid to ignore that he was in touch with some of them like Danny, DJ, Rudy, Brandon.

Danny talked about Kawhi's setbacks and when his injury got worse, he also said that Kawhi told him he wanted to stay in SA... Rudy talked with him about the time of rehab, send him photos, etc...

Unlike those guys, TP/Manu never said a word about staying in contact with him, calling Kawhi or vice versa.

Like it or not, it's pretty obvious that there is a reason why Kawhi talked with teammates during all regular season but TP/Manu.

Also, why would we deny that Kawhi called teammates when Danny and Rudy say they already talked with him?
    Last edited by YGWHI; 06-05-2018 at 08:15 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Neither the Cs or Sixers will want to see the other get him. They would have to collaborate to keep the price down, and they won’t. The Clippers picks aren’t late first rounders. They’re both in the lottery, and higher picks than the one used to select Kawhi. You get nothing if he plays here next year. He’ll walk for sure. There is no longer an advantage for the player to do a sign and trade. Bird rights are no longer even conveyed on such a trade.
    Youre right about Clips- I meant to say late lotto. That and a non-cost controlled Harris is not a good return.

I really think Cs will way overvalue Tatum and Brown (not completey unreasonably) and feel they dont really need Leonard if it means giving up one of those.

That only leaves the Sixers. They have the assets THIS year (looking at their assets beyond this year they don’t have anything) which could be interesting. It will a package around Fultz and 10 be good enough? What if they can get George instead?

Point being, I think as spurs fans we overstate our leverage here. Had Cs lost to Philly or had a ty showing against the Cavs, we’d be in a different place.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My guess Pop will have a talk with Kawhi and his camp about a week before the draft. Pop not going to sugar coat anything in the end I think they agree to part ways and he gets traded.
    It's sad that this time Pop doesn't want to make things work like he did with Tim before FA or with LMA last offseason. Sure, the situation is different but nothing that Pop couldn't fix...

I guess his lost accelerate the process, he isn't getting younger and he seemed very tired during the season. Who knows but I'm under the impression that five years ago he could have dealt with this.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What if they can get George instead?
    Kawhi is way better than him but I guess this is a factor to take into account...Clippers and Sixers could get a FA like Paul George without all the drama of trade-talks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I appreciate your rose-colored glasses. And hopefully Kawhi is 100% healthy and he wants to re-sign. But you posters jumped all over Danny's comments. What's clear is that he thinks Kawhi may want to return, but he knows there is conditions on both sides and it's just as likely that Kawhi leaves as he stays come the deadline. No one here or in the organization outside of the top people and Kawhi and his people know what is going on and we won't have any idea until the draft and July. Then we'll know. Maybe the front office screwed up or maybe Kawhi is still injured or his people are so unreliable that the Spurs can't risk giving up 35% of their salary cap space to a question mark. It maybe that the front office would screw up by super maxing him.
    What's clear is that Kawhi told Danny he wants to stay. That's what Danny Green said.

Obviously, things can change, if he doesn't get a supermax contract, the Spurs will trade him. But Danny can't know how things would end, he just talked about what Kawhi told him.

However, wanting to stay is still very telling.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Everything is speculation. But I’m just referring to one of LeBrons closest sources...and I don’t see how Kawhi/LeBron are not tied to each other in a way. Where one goes could easily influence the other.

Why would LeBron stay in Cleveland? The media controls the narrative and they pretty much have said it’s ok for him to leave lol

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What's clear is that Kawhi told Danny he wants to stay. That's what Danny Green said.

Obviously, things can change, if he doesn't get a supermax contract, the Spurs will trade him. But Danny can't know how things would end, he just talked about what Kawhi told him.

However, wanting to stay is still very telling.
    Danny seemed pretty confident (sarcasm)...I mean he said what he said but when he was asked again he kinda gave himself an out. Obviously I hope it’s true but I wouldn’t put so much stock into it....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everything is speculation. But I’m just referring to one of LeBrons closest sources...and I don’t see how Kawhi/LeBron are not tied to each other in a way. Where one goes could easily influence the other.

Why would LeBron stay in Cleveland? The media controls the narrative and they pretty much have said it’s ok for him to leave lol
    This go around you have to believe that the Cleveland fans will be much more appreciative of James effort with the team, and will always see him as a hometown hero. This too makes it easier for him to move onto a team that could be more compe ive. If James believes Leonard is back, and in full force then the Spurs become a primary option.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup, and spurs gonna be a lottery team

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup, and spurs gonna be a lottery team
    Kawhi was gone this season, was SA a lottery team?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They were pretty close.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They were pretty close.
    fair

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He can’t even wipe his own ass

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They were pretty close.
    Then every team was pretty close, because SA was “pretty close” to being a top 3-4 seed.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

And Spurs were playing without a max contract.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They were pretty close.
    In fairness, they really righted the ship once they stopped waiting for him to come back. They were in a tailspin there for a month or so. If they had made that determination at the ASB, they might have kept the 50 win streak going.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Without any planning for Kawhi missing the season and certainly no “traded parts” to fill in the gap SA was not a lottery team. With free agency planning, the draft and a trade? If SA wanted to they would not be a lottery team.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most interesting part of the Q and A . . .

Is a long-term deal something you're hoping to seek with the Spurs?

That's always an option.

Notice how he doesn't answer in the affirmative or negative, instead evading it by resorting to a general, vague comment. Lends credence to the notion that he either wants to move on, senses they do or both.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Most interesting part of the Q and A . . .

Is a long-term deal something you're hoping to seek with the Spurs?

That's always an option.

Notice how he doesn't answer in the affirmative or negative, instead evading it by resorting to a general, vague comment. Lends credence to the notion that he either wants to move on, senses they do or both.

Or it could just mean he’s opting out....

Thread Information