Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My guess Pop will have a talk with Kawhi and his camp about a week before the draft. Pop not going to sugar coat anything in the end I think they agree to part ways and he gets traded.
    Lol

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi really needs to speak out and say what it is that he wants. So frustrating that he hasn't said a word on the whole situation.
    That’s what the meeting is for. Feeding the media info no matter what it could be isn’t a good thing...unless it’s final.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wonder if RC and Uncle Dennis will be in the meeting or will it be just Pop, Kawhi and a bottle of wine like the LMA meeting last year?
    Pop : "So son... You know we love and care about you, right ? We always took care of you as with all our players. We've lived a lot great stuff together and we always protected and accepted you... If there's something that bothers you, let's talk like grown up people and tell things.... Just you and me".

Kawhi : "................. UNCLE !!!"

Realistic Spurs Fan Amuseddaysleeper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop : "So son... You know we love and care about you, right ? We always took care of you as with all our players. We've lived a lot great stuff together and we always protected and accepted you... If there's something that bothers you, let's talk like grown up people and tell things.... Just you and me".

Uncle: Delete this nephew

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Pretty much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "The Spurs want to continue to build around Leonard..." but at the same time "if SA isn't willing to do that (offer him the supermax/5 y)..."???

This is so contradictory, both things about can't be true

Or a team want to build around a player giving him the longest extension they can, or not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi really needs to speak out and say what it is that he wants. So frustrating that he hasn't said a word on the whole situation.
    the time for leonard to have said anything was during the season; at this point, it makes more sense to be quite as that is the norm for the off-season, especially when there are dollar amounts involved.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When you think GMs learned from Presti-Harden trade...

Just keep Kawhi, give him the extension he wants, if things won't work in next seasons, just trade him. Like Clippers moved Blake.

You don't lose a top 3-5 player just for money reasons.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "The Spurs want to continue to build around Leonard..." but at the same time "if SA isn't willing to do that (offer him the supermax/5 y)..."???

This is so contradictory, both things about can't be true

Or a team want to build around a player giving him the longest extension they can, or not.
    What? You can offer Kawhi 200M which is 19M short of the full SuperMax but still 20M more than any other team could offer and that says everything.

Gtfo with SuperMax or bust

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Just keep Kawhi, give him the extension he wants, if things won't work in next seasons, just trade him. Like Clippers moved Blake.

This I agree with.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

What if he is growing a bone in that quad? Year 5 of that deal is $49M. You can't have that as dead money on your cap, even if you do get a medical exemption or retirement.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What? You can offer Kawhi 200M which is 19M short of the full SuperMax but still 20M more than any other team could offer and that says everything.

Gtfo with SuperMax or bust

I am still not sure what's Kawhi camp talking point will be when they have a sit down with PATFO: "I have sat out 73 games this season and I want double the salary I got for doing just that guaranteed for the next 5 years? .

His uncle does seem to the audacity to say it. But one wonders what would be their response if the Spurs ask: "Hey Kawhi, what's going on with that rehab thingie"..

IF SA get peremptorily sidetracked in that conversation and his camp continues to be short on details when it comes to his health status. The discussion will get interesting from there.

And it is hard for me to see the equivalent of "Supermax" getting offered as next step in any other field of business negotiations under similar cir stances.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    At the end of the day unless SA knows Kawhi is legit physically damaged and the impacts of that will be immediate, I think they should offer the full SuperMax. Getting Kawhi under contract, immediately gives them leverage even if he wants out and will help in trades.

The only caveat to that is the injury like I said. If they know he’s truly damaged, then you can’t do that. But if you think he will be 90%+ for years, then you do it and trade him later with more leverage.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I am still not sure what's Kawhi camp talking point will be when they have a sit down with PATFO: "I have sat out 73 games this season and I want double the salary I got for doing just that guaranteed for the next 5 years? .

His uncle does seem to the audacity to say it. But one wonders what would be their response if the Spurs ask: "Hey Kawhi, what's going on with that rehab thingie"..

IF SA get peremptorily sidetracked in that conversation and his camp continues to be short on details when it comes to his health status. The discussion will get interesting from there.

And it is hard for me to see the equivalent of "Supermax" getting offered as next step in any other field of business negotiations under similar cir stances.
    This isn't "any other field of business negotiations under similar cir stances". Major professional sports should rarely be applied or compared to most professions because the employees, particularly those of Leonard's magnitude, are not easily disposable or replaceable. They can't just trade him for or sign a comparable player. That's why superstar and star athletes have leverage.

If they don't offer the super max or his representation doesn't have a sense that they will sometime soon, they can just request a trade and if its not granted, the Spurs would face the prospect of next season being even more awkward and uncomfortable than last and he could leave them with nothing at the conclusion of it.

At the end of the day unless SA knows Kawhi is legit physically damaged and the impacts of that will be immediate, I think they should offer the full SuperMax. Getting Kawhi under contract, immediately gives them leverage even if he wants out and will help in trades.

The only caveat to that is the injury like I said. If they know he’s truly damaged, then you can’t do that. But if you think he will be 90%+ for years, then you do it and trade him later with more leverage.

Exactly. That's why, outside of that caveat, I've never deviated from them offering the Super max and him accepting it. Just like I never deviated from Aldridge and them continuing their marriage of convenience, for the same reason: its in both sides best interest.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Repeat what idiot would offer a Max deal to someone who hasn’t played for a year? He is either physically weak or mentally weak and his camp is a slow growing cancer cut that out ASAP!!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What if he is growing a bone in that quad? Year 5 of that deal is $49M. You can't have that as dead money on your cap, even if you do get a medical exemption or retirement.
    Unlike what you think, growing a bone is a way better diagnosis than quad tendinopathy...When a player has an ossification there are many treatments to try, many ways to fix it, even surgically.
    Sadly, you can't fix tendinopathies with surgeries.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Unlike what you think, growing a bone is a way better diagnosis than quad tendinopathy...When a player has an ossification there are many treatments to try, many ways to fix it, even surgically.
    Sadly, you can't fix tendinopathies with surgeries.
    Ah, so now we'll do surgery and sit out another year, huh?

And if that treatment doesn't work, what then? Especially when your primadonna has his own camp and his own doctors...and that their diagnosis is far afield from what the Spurs found.

Time to cut your losses, I dont know how you offer that guy the max... Peace the out, Kawhi.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You guys are fully delusional. What can we offer? Our so-called FP played like 6 games last year, and is away from the team since then. Or coach is old, stubborn and can't adjust to the modern NBA anymore. Our starting center is 37 years old and can't play in the modern age NBA. The rest of the roster is either too young to compete or old as dust, can't shoot or too short. Other than LMA, what can we offer? Be honest guys, would you choose SA over Philly? Over Houston or even the Cavs? This team would be pretty good in the late 90's, eary 00's but not anymore.
    Thanks. Now I don’t have to type all of that....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If SJax finally is right about something...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ah, so now we'll do surgery and sit out another year, huh?

And if that treatment doesn't work, what then?

Time to cut your losses. Peace the out, Kawhi.
    No one says he'll go under surgery...But it's funny how easy you give up on a top 3-5 player. Good for you!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No one says he'll go under surgery...But it's funny how easy you give up on a top 3-5 player. Good for you!
    What's funny is the loyalty to a player that peaced the out on everyone from Pop and the medical staff, to the players, and city. And then had his uncle running a disinformation campaign behind the scenes through Jabari Young. Sadly, I gave up on him long after he gave up on the team. What's the worst, he didn't even seem to care as the team struggled to its worst season in 20 years. And he couldn't even bother to show up to root them on during HOME playoff games.

So yeah, i gave up on him. It wasn't easy but now that i have I'm balls deep.

Btw, if he won't need surgery, why are you championing his bone growth diagnosis by outside doctors as a positive?
    It's that or more of the same. You know what else is a treatment option for it? More rest...more getting paid $20MM to be away from the team in NY. And as his doctors let us know this year, you never know how much rest he'll need. I'm guessing it will be just enough to finish out his contract here.
    Last edited by offset formation; 06-07-2018 at 09:26 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If SJax finally is right about something...
    He isn't anymore right now than he was wrong before.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look, SA aren’t idiots. If they don’t feel good about either 1) where Kawhi is at health wise or 2) Kawhi’s team isn’t giving sufficient information then it’s over.

It’s not like SA will blindly sign him to one of the biggest deals in NBA history. It could still go sideways before or after, but they won’t just go into this saying “well, we really have no idea where Kawhi is at and his team is shutting us out, let’s gamble!”

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Look, SA aren’t idiots. If they don’t feel good about either 1) where Kawhi is at health wise or 2) Kawhi’s team isn’t giving sufficient information then it’s over.

It’s not like SA will blindly sign him to one of the biggest deals in NBA history. It could still go sideways before or after, but they won’t just go into this saying “well, we really have no idea where Kawhi is at and his team is shutting us out, let’s gamble!”
    But Poop is re ed and Buford is a drunk!

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For all the people crying for kL to get Supermax, just realize that if we are paying that for damaged goods, it will cripple this franchise for the life of the contract. It’s happened so many times over the last 30 years to NBA teams. Heck, even if he plays, if he’s not 2016-17 KL playing 85-100% of games he’s not worth it

Thread Information