My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    On the banks of the Hafel, about the middle of the sixteenth century, lived a horse-dealer, named Michael Kohlhaas. He was the son of a schoolmaster, and was one of the most honest, while at the same time he was one of the most terrible persons of his period. Till his thirtieth year this extraordinary man might have passed as a pattern of a good citizen. In a village, which still bears his name, he held a farm, on which, by means of his business, he was enabled to live quietly. The children whom his wife bore him, he brought up in the fear of God to honesty and industry; and there was not one among his neighbours who had not felt the benefit of his kindness or his sense of justice. In short, the world might have blessed his memory had he not carried one virtue to too great an extreme. The feeling of justice made him a robber and a murderer.
    https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Michael_Kohlhaas

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting. Seems the woman in the refrigerator is not a new trope.

Very singularly German tale, and one which I will have to read in the original language. Not sure why you posted such here, but thanks.

Still haven't finished, but I have other things to get to today. (sighs)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^^^Samuel Johnson?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting. Seems the woman in the refrigerator is not a new trope.

Very singularly German tale, and one which I will have to read in the original language. Not sure why you posted such here, but thanks.
    It's kind of about how a passion for justice can turn someone into a crank or even a revolutionary.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And when the motivation for justice is derived from, inflamed by religion ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    very similar in effect, yes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Burning righteousness turned Michael Kohlhass, an altogether appealing, wholesome and respectable yeoman with a just complaint against an arbitrary, decadent and oppressive social order -- into a demagogue, an insurrectionist, a moral monster,

I guess I posted it here because for me it stands as a sort of guiding panel -- not for the better -- for this discussion board.

It's also damn fun/funny to read. Was for me at least.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    also, a guiding panel of what to expect when one undertakes a jihad for justice.

Michael Kohlhass is a protagonist of Quixotic dimensions in a much shorter tale.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    or judge roy bean

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ah, yes, here it is

from "St Cecilia, or, The Power of Music":

Towards the end of the sixteenth century, when iconoclasm was raging in the Netherlands, three young brothers, who all studied at Wittenberg, chanced to meet at Aix-la-Chapelle with a fourth, who had been appointed preacher at Antwerp. They wished to take possession of an inheritance, which had fallen to them by the death of an old uncle, perfectly unknown to all of them, and had turned into an inn, because no one was on the spot to whom they could apply. After the lapse of some days, which they had passed in listening to the preacher's accounts of the remarkable occurrences that had taken place in the Netherlands, it chanced that the festival of Corpus Christi by the nuns of St. Cecilia's convent, which then stood before the city gates. The four brothers heated with fanaticism, youth, and the example of the Netherlands, decided to favor the town of Aix-la-Chapelle with an iconoclastic riot. The preacher, who had been more than once at the head of such enterprises, assembled in the evening preceding the festival a number of young tradesmen and students, devoted to the new doctrine, who spent the night in eating and drinking at the inn. Day had no sooner appeared over the battlements than they provided themselves with axes and all sorts of instruments of destruction, to begin their violent work. Exulting with delight, they agreed upon a signal at which they would begin to knock in the windows, which were painted over with biblical subjects, and, secure of finding a great number of followers among the people, they betook themselves to the cathedral, at the hour when the bells first rang, with the determination not to leave one stone upon another.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    or judge roy bean
    I didn't know he lived in SA:

On October 28, 1866, he married eighteen-year-old Virginia Chavez.[3] Within a year after being married he was arrested for aggravated assault and threatening his wife's life.[2] Despite the tumultuous marriage, they had four children together - Roy Jr., Laura, Zulema and Sam.[2] The family lived in what was described as "a poverty-stricken Mexican slum area called Beanville".[8] Beanville would have been centered near the current day corner of South Flores Street and Glenn Avenue not far from Burbank High School.[2] By the late 1870s Bean was operating a saloon in Beanville and had heard that many construction camps were opening as several railroad companies were working to extend the railroads west.[2] A store owner in Beanville "was so anxious to have this unscrupulous character out of the neighborhood" that she bought all of Bean's possessions for $900 so that he could leave San Antonio. At the time Bean and his wife were separated and he left his children with friends as he prepared to go west.[2]

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "beanville"

ciudad frijoles

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's kind of about how a passion for justice can turn someone into a crank or even a revolutionary.
    Yeah, I get that.

Commentary on anyone in particular?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    no no, I think it potentially applies to anyone

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The four brothers heated with fanaticism, youth, and the example of the Netherlands, decided to favor the town of Aix-la-Chapelle with an iconoclastic riot.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_Refrigerators

(came to mind when I read this, in case you missed the reference)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ^^^Samuel Johnson?
    every new meme brings me a step closer to my grave -- DAMN ALL THE MEMES

Thread Information