Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Because it's really hard to build a team with the DPE and a normal budget. Washington is dying right now because of Wall's deal, and it hasn't even kicked in yet. OKC is going to start hemorrhaging salary soon too because of Westbrook. The Rockets are seriously entertaining letting Capela walk because of Harden's max. The list goes on and on. That extra $40-something is the difference between SA being a consistent tax team and staying in the black, and I am not even counting guys like Pau and Mills being on the team. I have no doubt NO will cave on the supermax, but I also don't doubt that they'll struggle to really improve after that contract kicks in. Eventually it's too much.
    I wish the NBAPA and owners had had the foresight to add in a clause where a DPE player gets paid the full amount of the contract in cash, but only the ordinary max gets counted towards the cap and tax. You want to incentivize teams to draft star players and those star players to stay, while the current system does the opposite.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    [/B]
    Only the Spurs can offer him the 219million
    Yup. It has to be the team that drafted you, OR a team, like Houston/Harden, that traded for you while you were still on your rookie contract. I'm not sure his 'team' understood this, and maybe thought they had that leverage. That's what you bet for hiring an agent that works out of his car, and has no NBA representation experience. Bird rights don't even convey any more on a S&T. The league has made a concerted effort to cut down on these leverage situations where teams were put in a bad spot.

Thanks gents that rule makes even more sense

Spurs have real leverage. I'm liking their chances in making the right move long-term.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He won't be. Just like many in this forum, ownership isn't thrilled with his politics, and he's been more or less muzzled with the threat of 7 figure fines.
    good

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wish the NBAPA and owners had had the foresight to add in a clause where a DPE player gets paid the full amount of the contract in cash

what are you smoking

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The more we hear about this, the more convinced I am that after the initial rift, this whole thing amounts to posturing. I don't think Leonard ever wanted out. I think his camp leaked that to a certain segment of the media in an attempt to 1) strong arm the Spurs into giving him the super max, in case they were having pause and 2) win the PR battle, as they attempt to build his "brand".

What they came to find out was, 1 wasn't the way to go about this. Now, on the heels of the meeting, all of a sudden there's conveniently been a rash of positive reports recently. That's them changing tactics.

I also think a lot of the Wojnarowski reporting on this has been bogus, too. Not that he made it up, just that the Spurs didn't like the tact Leonard's camp was taking and decided they'd give them a taste of their own medicine through the most credible name in the business. They also probably want to put his feet to the fire and make him sweat it out.

Ultimately, long term health was and is probably the only thing that was ever going to prevent an offer. I don't see how he could convince them of his commitment out of season. He'll likely feed them cliché answers that they want to hear and they'll likely pretend to be satisfied.
    Agree with a lot of these takes tbh. The situation reeks of his "group" being extremely inexperienced and having no clue about how the Spurs organization operates. Jabari, Jalen Rose, etc. have been their mouthpieces and the Spurs are starting to play their hand through Woj.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't wait for this er to report to camp and stfu and play with no extension. Earn your pay and extension like everyone else.

tangina ka, though FireMicoHalili's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He won't be. Just like many in this forum, ownership isn't thrilled with his politics, and he's been more or less muzzled with the threat of 7 figure fines.
    Source? Or is this just conjecture from the fact Peter Holt and his wife are Republican? It says so on his Wikipedia page and well...he’s white and Texan. Not surprised he has a confederate flag hiding somewhere.

All the more reason for LeBron not to go here then. LeBron has been quite vocal about his politics and another mouthpiece, I imagine, would not bode well for the front office. His son recently committed to a school in Los Angeles if I remember, and he was quite vocal about family being the reason for committting to a team; I doubt that idiot J.R. Smith counts as family. The only reasons that make sense for him to go here is Popovich and the fact he’s playing with fewer morons than he did in Cleveland.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm guessing that woj is using Boston or Laker sources. The post about Boston offering Tatum was probably what they referred to.

This article is either sourced from Spurs trying to guilt kawhi into taking less, or another team who wants to scare LeBron away with 1) kathi could leave, 2) pop will leave in two years.
    I wonder if the Celtics would put forward the same deal for Tatum today after his play in the playoffs seemed to go to a new level. After all, Kwahi at this point is damaged goods, either physically or mentally.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup. It has to be the team that drafted you, OR a team, like Houston/Harden, that traded for you while you were still on your rookie contract. I'm not sure his 'team' understood this, and maybe thought they had that leverage. That's what you bet for hiring an agent that works out of his car, and has no NBA representation experience. Bird rights don't even convey any more on a S&T. The league has made a concerted effort to cut down on these leverage situations where teams were put in a bad spot.

Kori's nightmare SpurOutofTownFan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    TBH I could see Pop postponing retirement just to coincide with Lebron's last years since he's been the greatest player since MJ. I can see that happening for only that reason. None of the other players, including Kawhi, is reason enough for Pop to delay his well-deserved retirement.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    since he's been the greatest player since MJ

dafuq?

Those are the greatest (wing) players since MJ.

Plus $20 says Pop hates Kawhi now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    just saw your profile pic.

I may or may not care. monkeypunk's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the people not happy with his politics. If you are mad or offended that Pop is using his platform to speak out about racism then you are a racist and can get the off this planet.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop probably doesn't know what he's doing after 2020 and at anyone who believes any of these so called insiders...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Okay. Can say goodbye to Bron
    bc of Woj's trash article not citing any sources?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop probably doesn't know what he's doing after 2020 and at anyone who believes any of these so called insiders...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can't wait for this er to report to camp and stfu and play with no extension. Earn your pay and extension like everyone else.
    Hope so. Hes not a max player. Never led spurs to anything. Never will

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The supermax is the only way Kawhi stays. Don't think too highly of yourselves spurmfan the surrounding cast sucks and the money is the only thing you have in your favor over the Lakers

I hope players learned from David West and Rudy Gay to never take a discount for this team

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I stopped watching immediately before Amin. Guy is an f'n tool.

In all seriousness, I like Nichols but she has a job to do and an agenda to push working for ESPN. A lot of the "facts" she spat out were extremely misleading to present the "rift" between Kawhi and the organization being larger than what it probably is tbh
    She kind of supported SA's position after the two dopes spoke.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The supermax is the only way Kawhi stays. Don't think too highly of yourselves spurmfan the surrounding cast sucks and the money is the only thing you have in your favor over the Lakers
    Harsh but true. ST tries to nickel and dime every player. Prior to signing his current deal, most STers wanted him for like 5 years/60 mill.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Plus $20 says Pop hates Kawhi now.
    Well, I've said before that's the part of Phil that Pop can't match. He is way better coach than Phil but his personality doesn't allow him to handle some players.

I can't imagine Pop trying to coach MJ when he changed the designated play in a crucial TO or Kobe when he was telling his teammates "get the f*ck out of the way"..., or Rodman and his unprofessional behavior....

Phil didn't exactly love Kobe but he could coach him, Pop could barely deal w/Dedmon...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He wouldn’t be in the same situation if he PLAYS. If he plays, he gets the deal next off season assuming he qualifies. Huge difference. If Kawhi is willing to play for 180M somewhere else he should have no issues playing under his current contract next season for the chance at 219M when the downside is he will still get the 180M from SA if he fails to meet the criteria.
    them acting like Kawhi playing for LA for 180M is different than SA for 180M is fine just because SA CAN (not has to) offer the DPE is ridiculous
    "HUGE DIFFERENCE"..If Kawhi plays in other city next season for $180M that means he was traded and got a $180M 4-5 years.

But the Spurs are asking him to play a whole season more without a long-term contract...That's why he will ask for a trade if he doesn't get the extension, he wants the security that only a 4-5 years contract can give now...

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Harsh but true. ST tries to nickel and dime every player. Prior to signing his current deal, most STers wanted him for like 5 years/60 mill.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhitter didn’t even attend poop’s funeral tbh. No way poop lets Kawhitter resign with this team. Unless he retires.

Thread Information