My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Okay. Can say goodbye to Bron
    And Kawhi.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jalen is such a dumb POS, you can tell he's very limited in education.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with WOJ this isn’t just an open/closed deal. The super max would give Kawhi 35% of the salary cap. That is franchise crippling if Kawhi is injured or stand offish with coaches or teammates or if he isn’t committed. Super max contracts are so new we don’t know how damaging they are if you gamble on that player and he doesn’t come through.

Spurs shouldn’t just throw around money. They should be reasonable and open minded but they should also be careful about this decision.
    Agree. But we don't need Woj saying that Pop wouldn't coach after 2020 to know he'll retire in two years. He's 70 years old now, no one expects he'll continue coaching at 73-75...

That's why it would be hard to sell to the Spurs' owners, these type of contracts after 2019. Without Pop, they could have in mind some rebuilding time where a max deal Kawhi's on the books woudnt make sense.

His camp knows it, Jabari Young always talked about the Spurs giving an extension this year or trading him. Playing one year to be in the same situation next summer isn't an option for his camp.
    Last edited by YGWHI; 06-13-2018 at 09:31 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Glad to see that Pop isn't going into the meeting on his hands and knees like Jeanie did for Dwight a few years back.

Even Dr. Buss had to peel himself off a 20yo asian pros ute to beg Kirby to stay a while back. Really embarrassing for a supposed storied organization tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm guessing that woj is using Boston or Laker sources. The post about Boston offering Tatum was probably what they referred to.

This article is either sourced from Spurs trying to guilt kawhi into taking less, or another team who wants to scare LeBron away with 1) kathi could leave, 2) pop will leave in two years.
    I'd love to believe this since Lakers anc C's PR were behind many Woj's articles about Spurs/Kawhi all season.

Since February, when they created and spread rumors about Kawhi wanting out, to "go home" or to play in bigger markets "like Boston", I said that those rumors were BS, because he wanted to sign an extension with the Spurs

He confirmed it to media, told Danny the same, many reporters know he wants the extension.

But at the same time, I've posted about Spurs reticence to supermax deals, Pop's retirement, Spurs owners situations...What Woj says now it isn't new.
    Last edited by YGWHI; 06-13-2018 at 11:07 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop aint leaving until he's forced out. He'll be here in 2022 with Ginobli at 45 years old still coming off the bench turning the ball over averaging .6 points per game

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop aint leaving until he's forced out. He'll be here in 2022 with Ginobli at 45 years old still coming off the bench turning the ball over averaging .6 points per game
    The scary thing is that you're probably right.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The scary thing is that you're probably right.
    Nope. 2020. Then he goes off to Team USA full time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nope. 2020. Then he goes off to Team USA full time.
    Regardless, Manu is still probably our 6th man in 2022.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Woj getting desperate. Typical ESPN. All signs point to both sides working things out. Proof as the Spurs are not even entertaining offers. PATFO making the smart decision to work things out.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nothing new just speculations, trying to get traction for Magic team that Kawhi is still much available for the market, less likely for Bron to pick Spurs if tension is there, something to talk about. And Pops retiring? Who knows what the guy think? I feel bad losing his wife, but what more will he do now? Sulk? I’m sure losing to Dubs last year that passion was a thorn on his side. That’s why imo he will be all out there to convince Bron to join against the same team. The only thing is if Kawhi’s at 100% healthy before offering him the supermax.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting how it is said Pop won't coach after 2020. That would be a hard sell for Lebron. I mean, maybe 2 years of coaching may entice Lebron, But Lebron would want to play for many many more years and Pop can use Duncan, Manu, Parker as his commitment of increasing his players longevity.
    LeBron is LA bound anyways.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Issue here:

If Pop retires from the NBA, meaning no longer any part of decision making for the Spurs, why wouldn't he drop the supermax right away? What does he have to lose?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interesting how it is said Pop won't coach after 2020. That would be a hard sell for Lebron. I mean, maybe 2 years of coaching may entice Lebron, But Lebron would want to play for many many more years and Pop can use Duncan, Manu, Parker as his commitment of increasing his players longevity.
    When was the last time LeBron signed anything but a 1+1 anyway? 2010? He may want to come kick GS's asses for two years, and then go his own way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Issue here:

If Pop retires from the NBA, meaning no longer any part of decision making for the Spurs, why wouldn't he drop the supermax right away? What does he have to lose?
    It's not his money? Pop will have input and a recommendation, but the ownership group will have the final say.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    he might retire from coaching to avoid the daily grind/travel but is still team President as it stands

and i dont see why pop not coaching beyond 2020 will be a big deterrent for lebron anyway. he's been signing 1-2 year deals for a while now anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with WOJ this isn’t just an open/closed deal. The super max would give Kawhi 35% of the salary cap. That is franchise crippling if Kawhi is injured or stand offish with coaches or teammates or if he isn’t committed. Super max contracts are so new we don’t know how damaging they are if you gamble on that player and he doesn’t come through.

Spurs shouldn’t just throw around money. They should be reasonable and open minded but they should also be careful about this decision.
    The 35 percent isn't really the problem. I think SA would glad give out a deal that guaranteed Leonard 35 percent of the team's cap for five years. It's the eight-percent raises on top that really causes problems. If the cap doesn't start exploding again, things like $50 Million his final year is almost too much to pay even if Kawhi were in his full form.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If Kawhi is still in full form 5 years from now, I’m convinced Spurs would pickup a ring or two along the way. The guy is 26 and will be at his peak, while Durant, LeBron, Dubs hysteria would all be older or die down. Davis? Good luck winning at NO. I’ll bet he’s be next one knocking on Spurs door. Granted Kawhi would be back 100% healthy! I’d like to add DJ’s development as potential All-Star talent, because he’s got that personality to recruit talent. But it starts with bringing back Kawhi.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who cares what percentage of the cap Kawhi takes up. I can't imagine another player/group of players that the Spurs could use that same amount of money on that would get them closer to a le than Kawhi would. The whole point of the supermax is that it's so exorbitant that it gives small markets the ability to retain their stars. So Im not sure why some are balking at it now.

Regarding the Won "report", it's nothing new. Rebuilding the relationship has always been a condition for offering the supermax.

My Team
    Charlotte Bobcats
    Post Count
    If Kawhi is still in full form 5 years from now, I’m convinced Spurs would pickup a ring or two along the way. The guy is 26 and will be at his peak, while Durant, LeBron, Dubs hysteria would all be older or die down. Davis? Good luck winning at NO. I’ll bet he’s be next one knocking on Spurs door. Granted Kawhi would be back 100% healthy! I’d like to add DJ’s development as potential All-Star talent, because he’s got that personality to recruit talent. But it starts with bringing back Kawhi.
    Kiwi is turning 27 in two weeks, he's in his prime right now and given his injury history it probably won't be a long one. Spur don't have the luxury of waiting for LeBron and the Showers to age out while Kiwi's prime is wasted by garbage loyalty/scrub contracts like it is right now. it will already be over by then.

dijon needs to work on becoming a league average point guard. the idea that in the west he's anywhere close to sniffing ASG

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who cares what percentage of the cap Kawhi takes up. I can't imagine another player/group of players that the Spurs could use that same amount of money on that would get them closer to a le than Kawhi would. The whole point of the supermax is that it's so exorbitant that it gives small markets the ability to retain their stars. So Im not sure why some are balking at it now.

Regarding the Won "report", it's nothing new. Rebuilding the relationship has always been a condition for offering the supermax.
    Yes, and this was always a really stupid solution to a problem that wasn't a big deal anyway. Small-market teams don't typically compete as it is, and they can't usually afford to pay huge salaries. It just means more guys walking.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, if the Spurs don't want or can't afford to pay huge salaries on these superteams-days, we'll see many first-round exits.

If they expect to build through the draft, it will take many dark years of negative records.

If they expect to build via-trades instead of giving their own players huge deals, it will sound bad in FA. Most elite players would know that the Spurs are only about cheap contracts

I've said before GMs should learn from Presti-Harden mistake.

A team can't lose a top player just for money reasons.
    Last edited by YGWHI; 06-13-2018 at 01:23 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    4. Celtics made a trade offer for Leonard in February, which the Spurs turned down.
    I wonder what that offer looked like.

Thread Information