Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    MLS is absolutelt growing, only an idiot would deny it. The buy-in for an expansion team just 10-15 years ago was like $10 million, now it's upwards of $200 million. You have a bunch quality soccer specific stadiums going up all around the country. The quality of players coming to the MLS continues to go up as well.

US soccer itself is at a rough point but the league itself is growing nicely. Will be even bigger by 2026, and the World Cup should give it an even bigger boost.

My Favorite Faded Fantasy The Gemini Method's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Wakanda v. Pollocks on right now...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    MLS is absolutelt growing, only an idiot would deny it. The buy-in for an expansion team just 10-15 years ago was like $10 million, now it's upwards of $200 million. You have a bunch quality soccer specific stadiums going up all around the country. The quality of players coming to the MLS continues to go up as well.

US soccer itself is at a rough point but the league itself is growing nicely. Will be even bigger by 2026, and the World Cup should give it an even bigger boost.
    Growing? Yes. Poised to become a big 4. Outside chance since ice hockey is uber-regional and not as accessible in a variety of climates as soccer is. Displacing the MLB like you all hope (it would honestly have to displace the NBA first, and despite the NBA's social media relevance, the league isn't necessarily booming in the US as perceived)? Not in our lifetimes.

TV ratings. The recent MLS Finals did worse than the WNBA's close out game 5. The average ratings a nationally televised MLS game gets is about 250-300K. We're talking pro bowling level numbers there. Keep in mind that the MLS season is, what, 30 some games? Lower supply should typically translate into higher ratings. If you track television ratings from the league's inception to today, it's pretty much flat (but to be fair, all TV programming is down from the 90s for obvious reasons). Attendance? The inaugural MLS season had 17.5K. Last season: 22K. But three teams that draw over 20K are Canadian, with Atlanta and Seattle bumping up the average. Doing head math, average attendance would be around 18ish K removing the Canadian teams and Seattle/Atlanta (you can say that's unfair, but I'm showing how soccer popularity is confined to a couple of regions. And Atlanta's numbers will drop once the new stadium honeymoon wears off). Furthermore, 13 of the 23 teams had attendance drops from 2016 to 2017. Local TV ratings also severely lag behind the other leagues. The Sounders draw about a 2.5-3.0 in the market to the Mariners 5.0-6.0.

But again, I'm not claiming it's not growing. It's just not growing at the rate where it's on track to becoming a big 4 league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not a single 0-0 in this Wolrld Cup after 33 drama-filled, breathtaking matches..

Edge of your seat stuff. Drama, passion..

Said it before that defenses can no longer keep up with modern offensive schemes in the game; which is why soccer is going to keep thriving as sport..It is been a buzzer-beating galore even when teams try to park the bus.

Fatball fans, you are missing out on the entertainment ..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not a single 0-0 in this Wolrld Cup after 33 drama-filled, breathtaking matches..

Said it before that defenses can no longer keep up with modern offensive schemes in the game; which is why soccer is going to keep thriving as sport..It is been a buzzer-beating galore even when teams try to park the bus.

Lol Soccer has significantly increased in popularity in the last 20 years.

Its only going tl increase in pooularity too.

Bye Bye Baseball

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Bye Bye Baseball

What is baseball? Did you mean fatball?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    world cup is upon us, god has blessed with real unscripted sport, praise putin, infantino, fifa and all other kind souls out there tbh

after the world cup lakers gon sign lebronze, catfish13 or kawai and make lavar head coach -> dynasty. have a blessed day sons
    You got the peasant part right, in' children-in-cage ball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What is baseball? Did you mean fatball?
    He means that sport where the good Spanish speaking players aren't from Mexico.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He means that sport where the good Spanish speaking players aren't from Mexico.
    Go be fat somewhere.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Go be fat somewhere.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Bye Bye Baseball

World Cup ratings. "A Complete Nightmare."

http://fortune.com/2018/06/22/world-...fox-telemundo/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Go be fat somewhere.
    Just not in your country unless you found a way to add calories to donated rice and beans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

It's funny that you have to bring this up as some kind of positive

It's also funny that you bring up late game wins. Those happen all the time in American sports, but I get it, when a 90 minute win happens in soccer, it's like Haley's comet passing. Now let's take a look at your claim that we're in some kind of high scoring era that is just bound to captivate Americans!

85 total goals in 35 matches=2.6 goals per game. Average goals per game in the EPL (from an article I always cite showing the scoring predictability of soccer): 2.6-2.7.

"See guys! This game ended 2-1! Um, soccer isn't really that low scoring, I tell ya. That take Americans!" Anyhow, it really isn't the low scoring nature of soccer that turns off Americans. Low scoring can have its advantages, since it makes blowouts more difficult (but also makes actual epic comebacks a lot more difficult). It's like this.

And that's just one of the more notable ones. I'm sure if I collected all the dives in the tournament, they'd probably exceed the number of goals.

Injury time is also the stupidest thing ever in' invented. Inexcusable that a team might win in the closing moments of injury time when most of that time was likely gained by rolling around on the grass for an extra 10 seconds.

Foster calculated that there 302 instances in the first 32 games in which a player "could be seen at some point rolling around in pain, crumpling into a fetal position or lying lifeless on the pitch as the referee stopped the match." These ate up 132 minutes of clock. Yet, of these, only nine players needed to be replaced by a subs ute.
    But they lightly jog around or something.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fatball fans

But but watching a guy seat his on ass for 3 hrs is more entertaining

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fatball fans

I don't see pitchers nor batters sitting down while facing off against each other. Time to pick a new meme. In any event, they sit down while they play chess (for 6-8 hours), which is also more entertaining viewing than soccer

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see pitchers nor batters sitting down while facing off against each other. Time to pick a new meme. In any event, they sit down while they play chess (for 6-8 hours), which is also more entertaining viewing than soccer
    Dying sport

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's disingenuous to cite goal scoring anyway since soccer is more like a game of chain reaction. Good pass, good pass, cross, goal. That and breakaway and midfield collisions. Lots of non-score actions.

I'm a fairweather fan of soccer and baseball. Baseball has good drama, but nothing compares to the world cup.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's disingenuous to cite goal scoring anyway since soccer is more like a game of chain reaction. Good pass, good pass, cross, goal. That and breakaway and midfield collisions. Lots of non-score actions.

I'm a fairweather fan of soccer and baseball. Baseball has good drama, but nothing compares to the world cup.
    Every sport has plenty of non-score actions to also go along with scoring.

Banned
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is without question my biggest...?????. I have tried, really have tried to watch this stuff, I just can't do it, because...........too slow, too little, and boring.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is without question my biggest...?????. I have tried, really have tried to watch this stuff, I just can't do it, because...........too slow, too little, and boring.
    It's redundant to ice hockey. Ice Hockey solved the majority of problems with soccer (Gaelic football also did, if watching sports on ice isn't your thing).

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    You know how Europeans are, Avante. They prefer something slow and not so physical, to them soccer is "artistic" and about the drama between countries/teams. Americans live life on the fast lane, they want some rapid fire action, some primal exchanges, borderline supernatural athletic displays. That's why we're watching fast fire basketball, high speed hockey, brutal football and ye ol smacking a ball as hard as you can with a stick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You know how Europeans are, Avante. They prefer something slow and not so physical, to them soccer is "artistic" and about the drama between countries/teams. Americans live life on the fast lane, they want some rapid fire action, some primal exchanges, borderline supernatural athletic displays. That's why we're watching fast fire basketball, high speed hockey, brutal football and ye ol smacking a ball as hard as you can with a stick.
    Yeah, aside from France, continentals never took to rugby. Continental Europe has also never seemed to comprehend bat-and-ball sports, either. And aside from Finland/Sweden, they don't do ice hockey. They love that whole "guys trying to a put a ball in a net" design, usually played with light contact (field hockey, soccer, handball, and fringe like floorball and korfball). I think it's why basketball took there out of all the American sports, and it's no surprise they brought flopping with them to the NBA. I love our sporting culture because it's truly diverse, with 4 top sports that don't really resemble each other. Euros always want some variation of soccer (basketball is somewhat a variation).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Fatball fans

Ironic the meme you used retired from the NBA to play baseball, not soccer.

We've got a job to do. Darth_Pelican's Avatar
    My Team
    New Orleans Pelicans
    Post Count
    Didn't watch this crap, just here to laugh at dfens' sorry ass. Losing to Mexico Muh german masturd race
    They just lost to Korea also and they're out of the World Cup. dfens

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    eliminated by starcraft players

Thread Information