Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    not a soccer fan at all. mainly tune in for world cup and sometimes euro or champions league. its a boring sport tbh. i follow baseball way closer than i follow soccer. dont watch either on tv until big tournaments/playoffs, though.

but using US ratings for a tournament the US isn't participating in is re ed, mid.

also wtf ... its a big deal in mexico therefore US ratings should be good?
    Team Mexico is more popular than team USA in the US. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.was...eam-is-mexico/

All I keep hearing from soccer lovers and hipsters here is how "changing demographics" is gonna make soccer a major sport. So why didn't that draw a good percentage of the some 45 million people of Mexican descent here?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Team Mexico is more popular than team USA in the US. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.was...eam-is-mexico/

All I keep hearing from soccer lovers and hipsters here is how "changing demographics" is gonna make soccer a major sport. So why didn't that draw a good percentage of the some 45 million people of Mexican descent here?
    that article doesn't say what you want it so say. yes, in a year with the US excluded, they will shift focus to mexico. but that also explains why the ratings aren't doing as well

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    that article doesn't say what you want it so say. yes, in a year with the US excluded, they will shift focus to mexico. but that also explains why the ratings aren't doing as well
    So what you're saying is we're a super casual soccer country? That's the point I was trying to imply all along. "Soccer countries" tune in en masse to watch group stage World Cup matches theyre not playing in. Here, they lose to golf, even when they feature a popular North American team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So what you're saying is we're a super casual soccer country? That's the point I was trying to imply all along. "Soccer countries" tune in en masse to watch group stage World Cup matches theyre not playing in. Here, they lose to golf, even when they feature a popular North American team.
    of course the US is a soccer casual country ... its still completely re ed to gauge their ratings in a year they aren't qualified. its like checking nba playoff ratings in san antonio area after the spurs have been eliminated vs if the spurs had advanced

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    of course the US is a soccer casual country ... its still completely re ed to gauge their ratings in a year they aren't qualified. its like checking nba playoff ratings in san antonio area after the spurs have been eliminated vs if the spurs had advanced
    No, it's actually more accurate to gauge ratings when we're not playing as it shows soccer's true interest here. We're supposed to be on track to becoming a soccer country, remember? Then why aren't we watching neutral matches with the numbers as country like Germany (15 million watched the russia Saudi Arabia opener there).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, it's actually more accurate to gauge ratings when we're not playing as it shows soccer's true interest here. We're supposed to be on track to becoming a soccer country, remember? Then why aren't we watching neutral matches with the numbers as country like Germany (15 million watched the russia Saudi Arabia opener there).
    i dont necessarily believe that.

the evidence you cited was just .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i dont necessarily believe that.

the evidence you cited was just .
    What evidence isn't then?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is the Mexico game combining both FS1 and Telemundo broadcasts? Either way, for English viewers it's dumb to compare Fox vs FS1, tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Telemundo drew a 4.3, actually. So the Mexico game destroyed the the golf tournament.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Telemundo drew a 4.3, actually. So the Mexico game destroyed the the golf tournament.
    4.3 vs 3.6 isn't destroying. And it's golf vs the biggest sporting event in the world.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is the Mexico game combining both FS1 and Telemundo broadcasts? Either way, for English viewers it's dumb to compare Fox vs FS1, tbh.
    We're also comparing a 9 hour golf broadcast (the 3.6 was over the 9 hours) to a 2hr event.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    4.3 vs 3.6 isn't destroying. And it's golf vs the biggest sporting event in the world.
    I like how you went from "lol can't even beat golf" to "well it didn't destroy golf".

And if you combine both broadcasts, which is reasonable since we are talking about eyeballs regardless of language, then it absolutely destroyed the US Open.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like how you went from "lol can't even beat golf" to "well it didn't destroy golf".

And if you combine both broadcasts, which is reasonable since we are talking about eyeballs regardless of language, then it absolutely destroyed the US Open.
    You're right. I didn't factor in the illegals watching on telemundo.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You're right. I didn't factor in the illegals watching on telemundo.
    Messicans were supposed to make this a huge sport. That's all I keep hearing. They were causing earthquakes in Mexico but here the match couldn't beat golf.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those ratings aren't huge for what was perhaps the greatest win in wc history for Mexico.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Those ratings aren't huge for what was perhaps the greatest win in wc history for Mexico.
    You keep going back and forth with your argument.

This is Murica not Mexico, so that is pretty solid. I'm sure the ratings were much crazier in the motherland.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You keep going back and forth with your argument.

This is Murica not Mexico, so that is pretty solid. I'm sure the ratings were much crazier in the motherland.
    Spain?

I think you're missing the point. All I hear is that Mexicans are going to Trojan horse soccer into a big 3 sport. If the biggest match they ever won in an every 4 year event is only drawing a 7.0, I don't see it happening. I mean, olympic snowboarding draws that.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spain?

I think you're missing the point. All I hear is that Mexicans are going to Trojan horse soccer into a big 3 sport. If the biggest match they ever won in an every 4 year event is only drawing a 7.0, I don't see it happening. I mean, olympic snowboarding draws that.
    Who do you hear that from? Not me.

You are overhyping the magnitude of the game too. It's not a Final or even the elusive quarterfinal. It's great because of who the opponent was but at the same time it's only the first game of the group stage. All immigrants aren't Mexican either. I enjoy the world cup and soccer, but I'm not necessarily going to go out of my way to watch Nigeria vs Croatia in the group stage.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who do you hear that from? Not me.

You are overhyping the magnitude of the game too. It's not a Final or even the elusive quarterfinal. It's great because of who the opponent was but at the same time it's only the first game of the group stage. All immigrants aren't Mexican either. I enjoy the world cup and soccer, but I'm not necessarily going to go out of my way to watch Nigeria vs Croatia in the group stage.
    Every world cup there's a mul ude of think pieces about how Mexicans are gonna make soccer huge, and they cite the 40 million people of Mexican descent living here to make their case. I find it insulting, as if all Mexican-Americans are a in hive mind.

To me, the win was huge since Mexico has never beaten a soccer superpower in the WC. France was the closest in 2010, but I don't recall if they were any good that year. But yeah, obviously a knockout round would draw more.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Every world cup there's a mul ude of think pieces about how Mexicans are gonna make soccer huge, and they cite the 40 million people of Mexican descent living here to make their case. I find it insulting, as if all Mexican-Americans are a in hive mind.

To me, the win was huge since Mexico has never beaten a soccer superpower in the WC. France was the closest in 2010, but I don't recall if they were any good that year. But yeah, obviously a knockout round would draw more.
    Remember when they were hyping up team usa in 2010?

We sure forgot about kickball fast after that.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Soccer players tougher than todays nba.... sad

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Soccer players tougher than todays nba.... sad
    Maybe the female soccer players, but the "male" teams are drama queens and flopping gots

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i thought america could be a powerhouse with the correct funding...but it looks like america just like down here the other major sports dont want soccer to overtake them in popularity so they do whatever it takes whether its asking govt for more funding or asking the media companies not to broadcast soccer games....

another problem is these teams also share the same facilities and grounds with other sports that play on the same field, they do whatever it takes not to share it with soccer....

no funding = quality of brand u get to watch, now why would a person waste 10-20bucks on a ticket to watch the skillset shown by professionals equivalent to a guy learning to kick a ball at an oval? theres a reason why quality is and no support, ppl only come out when the national team is playing, other then that the local professional leagues nobody gives a ..... i say futsal is just as popular as soccer when it comes to ppl doing something recreational...cause nobody is going to find 10 clowns each to play, when futsal 3-4 a side is all you need...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i thought america could be a powerhouse with the correct funding...but it looks like america just like down here the other major sports dont want soccer to overtake them in popularity so they do whatever it takes whether its asking govt for more funding or asking the media companies not to broadcast soccer games....

another problem is these teams also share the same facilities and grounds with other sports that play on the same field, they do whatever it takes not to share it with soccer....

no funding = quality of brand u get to watch, now why would a person waste 10-20bucks on a ticket to watch the skillset shown by professionals equivalent to a guy learning to kick a ball at an oval? theres a reason why quality is and no support, ppl only come out when the national team is playing, other then that the local professional leagues nobody gives a ..... i say futsal is just as popular as soccer when it comes to ppl doing something recreational...cause nobody is going to find 10 clowns each to play, when futsal 3-4 a side is all you need...
    There has to be a culture for soccer. Funding isn't a cure all. We don't have a soccer culture. Australia is pretty similar to us, where 4 different sports are all closely followed, so it makes it harder to devote time, attention, facilities, and space to soccer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murican sports

Thread Information