Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I heard an interesting take on LA sports radio (AM 570) this morning.

The two hosts were talking (hoping) about Kawhi coming to the Lakers.

Then one of the hosts had a rather lengthy take on the real reason he thinks Kawhi wants out of SA. Interestingly, it was something I’ve never heard on Spurstalk (or, if so, not as developed as his theory).

The take was based upon two seemingly conflicting beliefs that (1) Kawhi’s injury was essentially a sham (and all of his shenanigans orchestrated) but (2) at the same time, Kawhi really wants to stay in SA with the Spurs. Huh?

Kawhi’s only problem with the Spurs, according to this line, is Popovich himself.

Kawhi is sick of playing the Tim Duncan (“good Spur”) role on the team -- where Kawhi is the best player on the team but gets yelled at by Pop to keep all the lesser guys in line. (You know, if Pop yells at Kawhi, what is he gonna do to me?)

This LA sports radio guy said he thinks that SA is perfect for Kawhi and he should stay with the Spurs if the Pop problem can be solved. He thinks Kawhi wants to stay with the Spurs and all of Kawhi’s maneuvering is just to get to get the Pop problem solved.

The solution, according to this radio guy, is for the Spurs to convince Kawhi that Pop will change his ways -- at least about some aspects of his coaching.

This guy thinks that assurances to Kawhi from Pop plus a no trade contract – so Kawhi can determine when he leaves and not the team – might do the trick.

I don't particularly buy it, but I thought is was a novel and interesting take on the situation – especially from a local LA radio guy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He never played the Duncan role to begin with..

Bull it excuses..Next..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we take the narrative of Kawhi and his uncle planning a move to LA. There best move wouldve been to get a long term supermax type contract this off season and get traded next offseason because his deal is still at least a year. Who knows. Either way Spurs should be fine and we rebuild but not a total one from scratch. That's why you cant trust any narratives until deals are done and interviews come out I think.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    These two radio guys also thought that that the Lakers should go after Kawhi with everything they have -- the Lakers should offer the Spurs any combination of Laker players that the Spurs want.

(They even thought the Lakers should throw in Jeannie Buss and Magic if necessary.)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If we take the narrative of Kawhi and his uncle planning a move to LA. There best move wouldve been to get a long term supermax type contract this off season and get traded next offseason because his deal is still at least a year. Who knows. Either way Spurs should be fine and we rebuild but not a total one from scratch. That's why you cant trust any narratives until deals are done and interviews come out I think.
    Interviews after "deals are done" are just as likely to spin.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Interviews after "deals are done" are just as likely to spin.
    Yep. But that will be how history goes down and nothing we can do about it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep. But that will be how history goes down and nothing we can do about it.
    Exactly, but to your original point - that narrative isn't any more trustworthy.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    These two radio guys also thought that that the Lakers should go after Kawhi with everything they have -- the Lakers should offer the Spurs any combination of Laker players that the Spurs want.

(They even thought the Lakers should throw in Jeannie Buss and Magic if necessary.)

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think there is something to the “pop lightening up” theory. Leonard is probably not as mentally strong as Tim at the same age. Not sure that equates to him wanting to stay in SA though

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can see Pop being the problem! Remember what Pop had the following to say about Kawhi?

I don’t think he’s ever going to be worn out. I’m not going to play him like Latrell Sprewell. The bottom line is that he’s getting paid to do both. So get your ass out there and do both, if you want to know the truth. If you don’t want to do both then we’ll pay you $4 million.

If that's the case, he might as well move back into the front office and give Messina the coaching job.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop does not treat all players equally, that much we know.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A no-trade clause? no

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pop does not treat all players equally, that much we know.
    Zelimic Obradovic once said that Pop's secret to success was that he kept Timmy happy. Jefferson has also said that Pop was doing Tim's dirty work. The truth is that over the years, Pop has gotten more and more loud and confrontantional, when the rest of the league is toning it down; Steve Kerr, Brad Stevens, Coach Bud, are a few examples.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Zelimic Obradovic once said that Pop's secret to success was that he kept Timmy happy. Jefferson has also said that Pop was doing Tim's dirty work. The truth is that over the years, Pop has gotten more and more loud and confrontantional, when the rest of the league is toning it down; Steve Kerr, Brad Stevens, Coach Bud, are a few examples.
    Interesting take Duncan has always been a psychological master mind in my eyes when it comes to control and leadership. I do remember hearing about how Duncan hated Avery Johnson back in '01 and made Pop not re-sign him when he was a FA.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi is going to be the biggest fugazi of the summer. He'll either stay in SA or he'll become completely introverted on another team and his contributions will be overblown at first then fade.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This sounds dumb.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    An implausible take, but just for kicks, this guy's solution is Pop changing his ways. <Insert Danny Thomas Spit Take Here/>

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Kawhi quit on the team. I think everyone was going to get past it and then he started up like a with this trade BS (if reports are moderately true).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This LA sports radio guy said he thinks that SA is perfect for Kawhi and he should stay with the Spurs if the Pop problem can be solved. He thinks Kawhi wants to stay with the Spurs and all of Kawhi’s maneuvering is just to get to get the Pop problem solved.
    That's one of the problems I have with His Camp's trade demand. SA is perfect for Kawhi's personality as he's a shy guy who doesn't like to talk to anyone he doesn't know well and trust, much less the media (which are a bunch of no talent, dirt-digging s bags, as we know).

So for Uncle Dennis to convince him to float a trade demand to LA/NY is weird, bc it is self serving mostly for His Camp and their overall financial gain, and not at all fitting to Kawhi's personality and *gasp* overall happiness. We shall see, if His Camp gets their wishes, how Kawhi does getting ripped apart by the NY or LA media if a. his injury flares up again causing him to miss any length of time in the future, or b. he is forced/expected to the #1 team leader on another team when he may not have the personality to be that outspoken team leader. He's more like KD it seems, with the skills of a #1 but the personality of a top notch #2.

If anything, if Kawhi somehow gets to go to LA and LeBron is also wooed to go to LA (same team), that would likely be the best case scenario for both. Because as everyone knows, LeBron is the more natural leader/face of a franchise.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If anything, if Kawhi somehow gets to go to LA and LeBron is also wooed to go to LA (same team), that would likely be the best case scenario for both. Because as everyone knows, LeBron is the more natural leader/face of a franchise.
    The media here in LA thinks the Lakers will get LeBron, Kawhi and Paul George.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, sure. I think it's in the NBA bylaws that the Lakers get everything they want...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They just might if that's what Silver wants (to encourage/embrace the creation of Super Duper Teams to compete with the Dubs). What's the alternative? ty ratings/revenues as everyone (including teams themselves) tune out due to the Dubs domination?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What I do know is that there is no trade that the Spurs will make where they take Deng's salary. They might add a sign and trade from Lopez with other assets, but the Lakers are stuck with Deng. Also, while Ball is a decent player I just don't see any team wanting his baggage, either.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I heard a better take on LA radio. Forgot the guys name, but it's the best take I've heard. He said just say 'no.' 'Kawhi we love you and can't trade you. There is nothing out there we want.' There are no rules saying teams have to trash their contracts because a player wants to leave. He already owes us $20 million from last year. If Kawhi tries to sit out two seasons it ain't a good look and there will be a lawsuit.

Thread Information