Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    in the past the MVP was announced earlier and got the benefit (and pressure) of the award throughout the playoffs. Now it's announced after the season has ended, almost as a sidenote. Did that change diminish the impact of the award to the large majority of viewers/fans?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes, tbh. Don't really even care anymore.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is quite possibly the dumbest decision made by the league..LMAO @ thinking people will care about your awards show when most of them have already hit the beaches by the then..
    Last edited by spursistan; 06-16-2018 at 11:48 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah its stupid for sure.....when the finals champion is the ultimate prize, naming this after leaves it pretty null and void tbh.

Should be named right after the reg season finishes tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol i honestly forgot about it. Did they even announce it yet? Like the guy above said it should be announced in 1 of the 3 day rest period between the regular season and playoffs.

TRU 'cross mah stomach LaMarcus Bryant's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Completely forgot about it

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its even worse because the last 2 winners (WB & Harden) didn't really have great showings in the playoffs.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah its stupid for sure.....when the finals champion is the ultimate prize, naming this after leaves it pretty null and void tbh.

Should be named right after the reg season finishes tbh
    Especially for a supposedly regular season award. Though back when Bird won his first MVP, the playoffs counted in the equation IIRC, so it made sense then to announce it after the season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    in the past the MVP was announced earlier and got the benefit (and pressure) of the award throughout the playoffs. Now it's announced after the season has ended, almost as a sidenote. Did that change diminish the impact of the award to the large majority of viewers/fans?

I think so. Fans attention is elsewhere once the season is over. And I think there was a lot of drama announcing it with the playoffs still on as you wondered if the MVP could lead them to a le. and all the slighted MVP contenders were gunning for blood. Now, as you say, its just an award. A footnote.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think in the NBA the Finals MVP has always been more important, and now even more. The regular season MVP has so often gone to someone who then gets outplayed in the playoffs. This has been going on since Steve Nash and before. The regular season MVP has become a stat-padder award.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its even worse because the last 2 winners (WB & Harden) didn't really have great showings in the playoffs.
    todays rigged nba

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think in the NBA the Finals MVP has always been more important, and now even more. The regular season MVP has so often gone to someone who then gets outplayed in the playoffs. This has been going on since Steve Nash and before. The regular season MVP has become a stat-padder award.
    Lol the mvp finals award should be eliminated. Just worthless.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The award show needs to be during the playoffs if they insist on having that show.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    the whole award show thing is stupid as . the awards are for the RS. the ceremony should be right before the playoffs start if anything.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the whole award show thing is stupid as . the awards are for the RS. the ceremony should be right before the playoffs start if anything.
    In AFL (Australian Football), they have the awards show for best player right before the Grand Final and I think that works pretty well. For the NBA, I'd have it before the conference finals.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The awards show is June 25.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    yeah unless the playoffs count in the voting theres no reason to wait til after the playoffs to announce it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its worthless, should be announced when RS finish.
    Marketing kills everything.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    they have the award show after the POs to keep the nba relevant during the offseason.

it’s re ed AF though. should be before the POs start.

casey gonna be taking home CotY after being fired

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They don't even need to do this, though..the NBA's off-season has become the most interesting in all of pro sports and it isn't even close, they don't need this awards show to fill any gaps..

They already have the draft at the end of June and the FA drama usually begins immediately after the Finals..they don't need to wait this long for the awards, it doesn't even really help them in any way..

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its worthless, should be announced when RS finish.
    Marketing kills everything.
    So, the NBA is making more money this way? Then it's a good decision. They don't cater to the purists.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol the mvp finals award should be eliminated. Just worthless.
    If you look over the last 35 years the winners of the Finals MVP have been a better quality than RS MVP (except for a couple outliers.).

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If you look over the last 35 years the winners of the Finals MVP have been a better quality than RS MVP (except for a couple outliers.).
    Should be a whole playoff award not just finals.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Should be a whole playoff award not just finals.
    I agree with this. For example, TD was the best player in the 2006 playoffs, he was also by far the best player in the 2007 playoffs too. Also, even though he may not have been the best player outright in the 2013 and 2014 playoffs, he was, however, the Spurs best overall player. Tony may have won finals MVP in 2007 and Kawhi may have won it in 2014 (they both had great series), but neither player was better than Tim was throughout those entire playoff runs.

Thread Information