Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Louisville Cardinals
    I agree and they were right not to bring it up. I would have been like wtf. But the fact that owl attacks are fairly well do ented gives it some plausibility. But have no idea how it would have been in the house.

The blowpoke turninh up was weird.
    Yea, that was really ing odd. The prosecutors thought this was there weapon and somehow they didn't find it when they searched the house? Even one of the lawyers said it was sitting in plain sight.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    So I just saw the first 8 episodes of this and who was it that said this was better than Making A murderer?

They lied. This wasn't as compelling I thought.

The first 8 original episodes I thought he was definitely guilty of something. I dont know of anyone facing murder charges to act so cooly and non chelantly like he did. Both prosecutor and defense team were pretty amateurish too.

The later and newer episodes did a much better job showing how the prosecutors rigged the trial to set him up to fail. I think that alone not only did deserved a new trial but also out right dismiss the case.

In the end he may have done it but also it wasn't proven so his name should be clear. Instead he had to settled for manslaughter which was a raw deal. Then again, I still think he may have something to do with the death of the lady.

Never got past all the blood tbh.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Since this show is getting compared to Netflix's Making of a Murderer, FWIW, this series was not produced by Netflix. It was produced and released independently by French filmmaker Jean-Xavier de Lestrade and originally came out in 2004, with new episodes added later. This series is widely well-regarded by do entary fans, and it has won a Peabody award.

Jean-Xavier de Lestrade also made this do entary, Murder On a Sunday Morning, which won an Oscar for best do entary. If you found Making of a Murderer & The Staircase interesting, I highly recommend this film.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    So I just saw the first 8 episodes of this and who was it that said this was better than Making A murderer?

They lied. This wasn't as compelling I thought.

The first 8 original episodes I thought he was definitely guilty of something. I dont know of anyone facing murder charges to act so cooly and non chelantly like he did. Both prosecutor and defense team were pretty amateurish too.

The later and newer episodes did a much better job showing how the prosecutors rigged the trial to set him up to fail. I think that alone not only did deserved a new trial but also out right dismiss the case.

In the end he may have done it but also it wasn't proven so his name should be clear. Instead he had to settled for manslaughter which was a raw deal. Then again, I still think he may have something to do with the death of the lady.

Never got past all the blood tbh.
    I think I said it was "up there" with MOM.

He was a pretty weird dude and grew to be more unlikable as the series went on. But he did get ed by the system.
    I'm 50/50 about whether he was guilty or not. If it was a planned murder, then I think he's smart enough to have done a better job.
    And there was no evidence that he'd ever had a violent temper that caused him to be physical with someone.
    Still...the falling down the staircase doesn't seem like a great fit.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Since this show is getting compared to Netflix's Making of a Murderer, FWIW, this series was not produced by Netflix. It was produced and released independently by French filmmaker Jean-Xavier de Lestrade and originally came out in 2004, with new episodes added later. This series is widely well-regarded by do entary fans, and it has won a Peabody award.

Jean-Xavier de Lestrade also made this do entary, Murder On a Sunday Morning, which won an Oscar for best do entary. If you found Making of a Murderer & The Staircase interesting, I highly recommend this film.
    I actually did watch that one as well. It was pretty good but I don't think it would win an Oscar in today's times.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    13 and 14 are the biggest points; don't know why they put those last. It's been too long since I saw the do entary; but these seem to be the types of plants the cops were notoriously caught doing. Adding blood, finding alleged evidence long after the fact.
    Last edited by Spurtacular; 07-09-2018 at 04:07 PM.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    I actually did watch that one as well. It was pretty good but I don't think it would win an Oscar in today's times.
    Seems to me a well-crafted do entary that is very relevant to today. What's changed, in your view, that makes this non-Oscar worthy?

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Seems to me a well-crafted do entary that is very relevant to today. What's changed, in your view, that makes this non-Oscar worthy?
    I'm not saying it wasn't very good and Oscar worthy at the time. But there are so many poignant docs today with relevant stories that are done better. I just don't think it would win an award.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yeah, wasn't as good as Making a Murderer.

If you have Amazon Prime, all three of the Paradise Lost docs are on it right now. Awesome right there and since the three parts progress over the course of 20 years, it's pretty god damned good stuff and a case we all grew up with- the West Memphis Three.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Yeah, wasn't as good as Making a Murderer.

If you have Amazon Prime, all three of the Paradise Lost docs are on it right now. Awesome right there and since the three parts progress over the course of 20 years, it's pretty god damned good stuff and a case we all grew up with- the West Memphis Three.
    Those are excellent. Although I only remember 2. Hopefully I have one more to watch.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'm not saying it wasn't very good and Oscar worthy at the time. But there are so many poignant docs today with relevant stories that are done better. I just don't think it would win an award.
    I also think the episodic kind of way do entaries are done now is way more in-depth.

I still like feature film do entaries but with those, it's pretty much one shot. You dont get to find out the ultimate fate.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I also think the episodic kind of way do entaries are done now is way more in-depth.

I still like feature film do entaries but with those, it's pretty much one shot. You dont get to find out the ultimate fate.
    Yeah...that's a good point. Although I think some of the series stretch out the story for too long. I'm assuming they get paid to deliver x amount of episodes.
    I do like the shorter commitment to a feature film doc. If it sucks, it sucks. But a series can go from being great to sucking pretty quick. Or vice versa.
    And once I'm in to it for a few episodes, I'll usually make myself finish it.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns

I'll still take a Herzog doc over any of these.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I'll still take a Herzog doc over any of these.
    Talk to me about your top 5 fastest Herzog docs.

For real though...looking through his filmography, I realize I've only seen a couple. I have Into the Abyss in my queue but haven't got around to watching it. Also, Into the Inferno.
    But would appreciate any recommendations.

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Talk to me about your top 5 fastest Herzog docs.

For real though...looking through his filmography, I realize I've only seen a couple. I have Into the Abyss in my queue but haven't got around to watching it. Also, Into the Inferno.
    But would appreciate any recommendations.
    Into the Abyss is great. He leaves a lot out, but that is part of what makes it so entertaining. Grizzly Man of course, Cave of Forgotten Dreams, Encounters at the End of the World, My Best Fiend.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    SFS thanks again.

Dont matter how good, it is extraordinary for the look inside, the access. Which could have been drawn out longer. They could have spent more time on the blood splatter stuff in the beginning. Which begs the question of why this idiot of a crime scene recreator was not called on his ludicrous stuff by the defense early on. He had given horribly ty “lectures” to colleagues and they had been astounded. He had to be snagged later by a different case and attorney.

I think there are many different interesting aspects to the series. For example, who wants to be a trial lawyer having to basically put on a small Hollywood production for 12 people... ? All the work getting the visuals in the right order, etc... all that was missing was music. Good luck Spurraider. My dad does not even do trial work, reads and makes real estate contracts all day and yells at clients... funnnnn

People stuff:
    Also the way the children reacted.... The bisexuality “skeletons”.... The defendants close association with the city while living a very comfortable life and lying about his Vietnam injury (stuff comes back theme) His ability to love his wife and then going off to drill the military men’s visual calendar. She’s fine with it?

Good stuff...

Glad you put it up. Keep doing this, don’t even have to rate it if it’s compelling. You cost me some good sleep hrs though. 2 episodes per night.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    SFS thanks again.

Dont matter how good, it is extraordinary for the look inside, the access. Which could have been drawn out longer. They could have spent more time on the blood splatter stuff in the beginning. Which begs the question of why this idiot of a crime scene recreator was not called on his ludicrous stuff by the defense early on. He had given horribly ty “lectures” to colleagues and they had been astounded. He had to be snagged later by a different case and attorney.

I think there are many different interesting aspects to the series. For example, who wants to be a trial lawyer having to basically put on a small Hollywood production for 12 people... ? All the work getting the visuals in the right order, etc... all that was missing was music. Good luck Spurraider. My dad does not even do trial work, reads and makes real estate contracts all day and yells at clients... funnnnn

People stuff:
    Also the way the children reacted.... The bisexuality “skeletons”.... The defendants close association with the city while living a very comfortable life and lying about his Vietnam injury (stuff comes back theme) His ability to love his wife and then going off to drill the military men’s visual calendar. She’s fine with it?

Good stuff...

Glad you put it up. Keep doing this, don’t even have to rate it if it’s compelling. You cost me some good sleep hrs though. 2 episodes per night.
    Good thoughts there.

I would have liked to hear more about the splatter but I'm assuming the director had the original episodes pretty planned out. And I assume he didn't have an unlimited budget.

Which reminds me...at some point, I thought I heard some comment in the series about Peterson paying for or initiating the do entary. Which would make sense. The crew was on the scene so quickly that it's hard to imagine a French director being able to hear about the story through the news and then mobilize so quickly. More plausible that Peterson reached out to them. And if so, I think he would have had to guarantee them some kind of money. At least until the director believed the story worthy of additional funding.

But back to the splatter, I was surprised (and I'm not sure if this is standard procedure) that 1) the blood was left on the wall for so long and 2) that examining after so much time was still considered a valid procedure.
    I would have liked to see more explanation for the different blood splatter pics which the prosecution's witness called "glitches".

As to trial lawyers, I'm not surprised that one was willing to do the do entary. Rudolf seems to have a huge ego and certainly didn't look uncomfortable around the camera. I'd like to hear the timeline of when the doc crew came on and when Rudolf agreed to represent. Wondering if Peterson hired Rudolf based on his willingness and ability to work on film. And also wonder if Rudolf eventually got off the case due to Peterson's financial situation (not being able to pay) or as he said, that it was too emotionally draining.

Yeah...the family dynamics were interesting. While I was watching it, I assumed that Peterson had a fairly unlimited amount of money and that the kids were all "set" and might possibly be supporting him just to stay in the will (at least the two non-biological kids). But after reading more on the internet, almost all of the net worth was from his dead wife. Also read that they lived way beyond their means. Not sure if the kids new all this but I get the sense that regardless of Peterson's quirks, he genuinely did have great relationships with all of the children. It is hard to imagine that the wife was OK with Peterson's secret life. Not as hard to imagine his bio kids and the two girls accepting it. But that was probably a major factor in the deceased's daughter turning against Peterson.

All interesting stuff to me.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Good series. I still don't know what happened or whether I believe he's guilty or not, but the prosecution put up a pretty lousy case against him. I also didn't think Peterson's main lawyer read the room very well... He came off way too big-league New York attorney during his opening and closing statements, which probably didn't play well with the jury.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    I feel like even his own attorney has no idea after all this time if he did it or not

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I feel like even his own attorney has no idea after all this time if he did it or not
    I agree. Although he has come out later and said that the Owl Theory is very plausible. But they didn't think about it in time to make that part of their strategy.
    It sounds crazy as but it would explain some things.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Tech Red Raiders
    The Owl theory is interesting for sure. I think it's just enough to put me on the side of he didn't do it.

But just barely. The other staircase death in Europe kinda bothered me.

Also, the dude is just strange.

Still Hates Small Ball Spurminator's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    If I had to pick the most plausible explanation, it's that he probably pushed her down the stairs in a fit of rage and killed her. And if that's the case, he still probably should have gotten off because the prosecution opted for the First Degree (premeditated) Murder charge. There simply wasn't a case beyond a reasonable doubt that this was more than a crime of passion.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The Owl theory is interesting for sure. I think it's just enough to put me on the side of he didn't do it.

But just barely. The other staircase death in Europe kinda bothered me.

Also, the dude is just strange.
    Yeah...as crazy as it sounds, if I had to pick, I'd say the owl theory is the most likely with the evidence at hand.
    Finding feathers and her own hair in her hand. And the fact that owl attacks are a real thing. It would explain the wounds and lack
    of skull fracturing.

But he's such an odd dude that he comes across as someone who could do this and believe he was smart enough to get out of it.
    Whereas, he could be just a weird dude.

But yeah...the Eurpope death. Crazy coincidence.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    The daughter turned out to be a hot redhead though.

What happened to the brother btw? He dissapeared in the new episodes. They seem close.

Thread Information