Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Everyone jumping ship. PATFO
    That's what it feels like, my dog. At least I got to live through our Golden Years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LMA joined san antonio at a time where we not only had a max slot available (through splitter trade), but were one of the top teams in the NBA with a talented roster, an up and coming star in kawhi who was not seen as a lillard-like attention hog, and an aging tim duncan who would be a great partner to LMA in the paint. a lot of stars aligned on that one. and aldridge is a guy from texas which probably helped him look past the issue that plagues our general attractiveness to other teams
    Yeah, SA was deservedly the favorite going into free agency to anyone who wasn't biased toward LA. If anything it was a failure that it took a second meeting to distinguish them for the ing Suns.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You’re smarter than this. It’s not about just free agents. It’s about flexilbity. What if SA can get another top 20 pick for taking on Faried from DEN for one year knowing free agents won’t want SA next season anyways?

Then you have all that cap space again with whatever haul you can get. I remember people saying LMA would never consider SA
    I was just ing with you, I know what you meant about flexibility..

Realistically, though, they won't get any notable FAs..Aldridge was the only marquee name that they ever acquired and he asked for a trade less than 2 years later..the current situation is nowhere near as attractive as it was at that time..whether you agree with Kawhi's actions or not, this entire situation has undoubtedly hurt the reputation of the Spurs franchise to an extent(simply by questioning their actions, which is something nobody would have done in the past)

The Spurs only chance at a relevant future will be acquiring high-level young talent(Tatum, Fultz, etc) or high lottery picks for Kawhi..they MUST play this trade correctly, they can't afford to take a trash deal..this team isn't going to bottom out while Pop and Aldridge are still here, this will be their only shot at franchise-level potential..

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's what it feels like, my dog. At least I got to live through our Golden Years.
    Sucks bruh. Spurs should just blow it up and go for the full rebuild tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great news.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Probably wants to David West it for a ring.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Gay was even more likely to decline with the Kawhi news. More leverage to seek more and longer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It can possibly work that way.

You are correct RE: LMA. You can never discount the Spurs as long as Popovich is here.

This could also work out another way too like when they had space and money to get either Jermaine O'Neal or Jason Kidd and in the end got neither. These are uncharted waters and times for this organization.
    Spurs rarely had equal money. The point is having flexilbity allows you to do a lot. If you are a team that doesn’t attract free agents and you rely on the draft, then it stands to reason you should get as many shots in the draft as possible which space allows you to do.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, if this is Danny’s last moments with SA hat’s off to one of the best role players we have ever had. Love Danny and I understand if it’s time for him to move on and honestly it’s probably best for both if Danny does move on if Kawhi is indeed traded.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I was just ing with you, I know what you meant about flexibility..

Realistically, though, they won't get any notable FAs..Aldridge was the only marquee name that they ever acquired and he asked for a trade less than 2 years later..the current situation is nowhere near as attractive as it was at that time..whether you agree with Kawhi's actions or not, this entire situation has undoubtedly hurt the reputation of the Spurs franchise to an extent(simply by questioning their actions, which is something nobody would have done in the past)

The Spurs only chance at a relevant future will be acquiring high-level young talent(Tatum, Fultz, etc) or high lottery picks for Kawhi..they MUST play this trade correctly, they can't afford to take a trash deal..this team isn't going to bottom out while Pop and Aldridge are still here, this will be their only shot at franchise-level potential..
    If SA does well in a Kawhi deal, gets young talent or picks and nail them, having the cap space will be attractive like a PHI if it looks like a great young core.

It’s all relative and having flexiblity is like Gold even if it can’t be used yet for big time free agents. If they are likely to build through the draft anyway like nearly all good sustainable teams, free agency is used to fine tune and not about landing stars since that opportunity is few and far between normally.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs gonna resign him to a long deal worth 12 mil tbh a year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just as long as Joffrey opts out I'm okay with it . . .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hope this isnt' a 2013 Mavs situation where they have tons of cap space and no on will sign with them. Always thought Cubes did Dirk wrong by breaking up the '11 team to pursue free agents who would never sign.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, if this is Danny’s last moments with SA hat’s off to one of the best role players we have ever had. Love Danny and I understand if it’s time for him to move on and honestly it’s probably best for both if Danny does move on if Kawhi is indeed traded.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just need Danny to opt out and sign elsewhere pleaseeee

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just as long as Joffrey opts out I'm okay with it . . .
    Not a chance. We stuck with him.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, SA was deservedly the favorite going into free agency to anyone who wasn't biased toward LA. If anything it was a failure that it took a second meeting to distinguish them for the ing Suns.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Danny Green should have his goddamn jersey in the rafters.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Danny Green should have his goddamn jersey in the rafters.
    He probably will, the bar is low tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not a chance. We stuck with him.
    https://www.expressnews.com/spurs-na...r-12994749.php

"On the Joffrey Lauvergne front, the belief is he will not opt into his $1.6 million player option, while more lucrative offers he'll consider to play overseas. If Lauvergne doesn't return, it leaves LaMarcus Aldridge and Davis Bertans, who is considered stretch-four, as the other big men on the roster."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He probably will, the bar is low tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure why he’d come back to this mess?!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    we should want Danny to move on regardless of whether or not kawhi comes back imo. if he's not shooting reliably north of 40%, we have no room for him tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hope this isnt' a 2013 Mavs situation where they have tons of cap space and no on will sign with them. Always thought Cubes did Dirk wrong by breaking up the '11 team to pursue free agents who would never sign.
    SA isn’t that. They are still respected and draft well and should have good assets. SA didn’t do anything wrong; Dallas did by burning the players that won them a le. SA has been loyal.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This was completely expected.

He was only going to opt-in if he got injured again and knew he wasn't going to get another contract. The guy played well and can cash in with a bigger contract from someone else or get a longer deal with the Spurs. It's good for the Spurs too if they want to go full rebuild mode they don't have his contract on the books.

Thread Information