Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Chinook don’t always agree with him but he is a top five Spurs poster as far as basketball knowledge.

MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Chinook don’t always agree with him but he is a top five Spurs poster as far as basketball knowledge.

What?

Even he would tell you no brah.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    agree with your first take

for the second, what about the scoring ? metu is way better than bell, better shooter ( more attempt and better % at 3) , also pretty close assists numbers.

So you're right they are differents type of player but bell was not better at damned everything.

About the size 6'10 is enough, don't think he'll have to develop perimeter skills that much, with just the ability to shoot i think he'll be ok, don't know about his man on man defense but he can protect the rim.

We'll see.
    It's not just the height. He's also under 220 lbs. You can even see him on the court. He looks like a big wing, not a center. Me saying that isn't crapping all over him; it's me rebutting the comparisons and expectations people seem to be placing on him. In the old game, he would have been a small forward. In the recent-old game (like 2014ish), he would have been a perfect PF physically. Now, he's a big PF. If he's going to be a center, he'll need to get much bigger while maintaining that athleticism. Or, he could just play the four, work on his perimeter game and not have to completely change his body or limit his skill-set. It's not obvious which path is better. But SA doesn't NEED Metu to be a five, so I don't see why he'd have to develop that way.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think we're all just ready for the Summer League at this point.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's not just the height. He's also under 220 lbs. You can even see him on the court. He looks like a big wing, not a center. Me saying that isn't crapping all over him; it's me rebutting the comparisons and expectations people seem to be placing on him. In the old game, he would have been a small forward. In the recent-old game (like 2014ish), he would have been a perfect PF physically. Now, he's a big PF. If he's going to be a center, he'll need to get much bigger while maintaining that athleticism. Or, he could just play the four, work on his perimeter game and not have to completely change his body or limit his skill-set. It's not obvious which path is better. But SA doesn't NEED Metu to be a five, so I don't see why he'd have to develop that way.
    Like i said in this thread he’s a PF for me and maybe a small ball C so i agree.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chinook is very knowledgeable no doubt. Especially when it comes to financials and the salary cap.
    But he is al over the place on player evaluations.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Speaking of PF how would your rate Livio Vs. Metu..........Yes Livio had a knee injury and pretty much sucked but I watched a lot of this years summer games and he seemed like a new man. He was athletic and able to hit outside shots including some threes and was still getting rebounds and surprisingly was a very good passer.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol. Hes a beautiful mind with the salary and rules and stats.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Speaking of PF how would your rate Livio Vs. Metu..........Yes Livio had a knee injury and pretty much sucked but I watched a lot of this years summer games and he seemed like a new man. He was athletic and able to hit outside shots including some threes and was still getting rebounds and surprisingly was a very good passer.
    18-year-old Livio was a better player and prospect than 21-year-old Metu. It's hard to really compare them beyond generalities, because back then, Livio's physical profile projected him as a combo-forward in a bad way. He didn't have the skill or range to be an SF, but he was too small to be a power-forward. I think Livio had a clearer path to the NBA, because he was an intriguing defensive prospect who just needed to find a way to get points (which he could do off rebounds and dunk-ins but not on the perimeter). I think he had a chance to be like Mbah a Moute, though better able to guard centers and not nearly as capable against SGs was LRMaM was at the time. Metu, for all of the hype around his rim-protection, doesn't seem like a very good defender, and his offensive game doesn't seem much better than Livio's.

Metu, like Joff last pre-season, just seems more ambitious in what he's willing to try on the court and could get away with it in college. LJC seems to play within himself to the point that he looks about the same no matter how good his teammates are. Jean-Charles is the poster child for why draft-and-stashing first-rounders is almost always bad. He was a good enough prospect who agreed to stay over for a few years and ended up wasting everyone's time. I can't say that he wouldn't have gotten hurt had he come over and forsook international ball, but had he stayed healthy and gotten real NBA coaching, I think he'd be a rotation player somewhere right now. As it is, I still think he should get a two-way deal with the club, just to see what he can do. He can't even get minutes in the summer league, though.

I hope Metu starts next week. Only way I want him coming off the bench is if Milutinov and Blossomgame are the starting bigs. I have a bad feeling they're going to give Cory Jefferson big minutes, though. I like Cory well enough, but dude has no future in SA and shouldn't be taking time away from Metu, LJC or even LaLanne. I've never seen a team prioritize guys they have no plans to keep more than the Spurs.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Milutinov has national team obligations that might not be met due to a knee injury

I would be very surprised if he's playing on summer league

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He has identically same body as john collins

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Metu shall emerge

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He has identically same body as john collins
    A) He's not. Collins was six pounds heavier during the draft and is almost 20 pounds heavier than that now. It's easy to go "Well Metu will add the weight too", but if he adds that much, it'll probably affect his athleticism, and he didn't have a ton of agility to spare at it was. That never mattered to Collins.

B) Collins plays PF. We aren't discussing if Metu can play there.

C) Collins a great offensive player and rebounder, you may as well bring up Jordan Bell again.

D) Has Buford come out and said "Metu is going to be a center"? The need to try to justify him there is surprising.

tangina ka, though FireMicoHalili's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I feel the same way Chinook does about Metu. Bates-Diop could have been a better pick especially since Gay left and there isn’t a lot of athleticism in the wing position, with or without Leonard. Senior college player, great wingspan, sound fundamentals make Bates-Diop a great pick at 49. Metu won’t be a Jordan Bell but I’m hoping he becomes more like a John Collins. Body type seems like he can’t add much more weight and his shoulders seem narrow, though the thick, plodding center isn’t exactly a commodity nowadays. Interesting to see how he fits.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A) He's not. Collins was six pounds heavier during the draft and is almost 20 pounds heavier than that now. It's easy to go "Well Metu will add the weight too", but if he adds that much, it'll probably affect his athleticism, and he didn't have a ton of agility to spare at it was. That never mattered to Collins.

B) Collins plays PF. We aren't discussing if Metu can play there.

C) Collins a great offensive player and rebounder, you may as well bring up Jordan Bell again.

D) Has Buford come out and said "Metu is going to be a center"? The need to try to justify him there is surprising.
    Collins played 99% of his time last year at center position, he has same narrow body type as matu, matu is same type of player as collins just not as dynamic...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Collins played 99% of his time last year at center position, he has same narrow body type as matu, matu is same type of player as collins just not as dynamic...
    Collins played the majority of his minutes at PF. And no, they're very different. Collins was my guy last year (like Walker this year). He was not like Metu at all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Collins played the majority of his minutes at PF. And no, they're very different. Collins was my guy last year (like Walker this year). He was not like Metu at all.
    Just at the end of the season Budd start to use him as pf a little, before that he was the deadmon sub ue and never playing both together...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just at the end of the season Budd start to use him as pf a little, before that he was the deadmon sub ue and never playing both together...
    He played Collins with a seven-footer 1100 minutes last season. You have to go all the way down to his 10-most used lineup to find one where he's the single big -- and that was for a whopping 31 minutes last season. Collins playing "center" with another guy his size who also plays PF/C is not what people usually mean when talking about Metu. If Chim plays with LMA, sure, he may be listed as a center, but he wouldn't be the single-in, rim-protecting big people are envisioning.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    From my limited knowledge I'm actually a little higher on this pick than past 2nd rounders. Footwork, pick and roll moves and passing show a little polish. Nice baby hook that might get over NBA defenders. Some range on his jumper. Not a good rebounder for his size and frame isn't going to take much more weight. May actually get some minutes for the mothership someday. Would like to see how he compares to Costello and Putney in summer league.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He played Collins with a seven-footer 1100 minutes last season. You have to go all the way down to his 10-most used lineup to find one where he's the single big -- and that was for a whopping 31 minutes last season. Collins playing "center" with another guy his size who also plays PF/C is not what people usually mean when talking about Metu. If Chim plays with LMA, sure, he may be listed as a center, but he wouldn't be the single-in, rim-protecting big people are envisioning.
    He play a lot with bigs such as ilyasova and muscala who are more strach four...

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Metu is not a Center he is a PF who may on occasion play Center when teams go small ball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He play a lot with bigs such as ilyasova and muscala who are more strach four...
    Ersan and Musc both play a lot of center/single big in their own rights. They certainly are defensive centers at this point in their careers, and they're not very good at it. All this is why ATL was terrible last year. If winning games isn't a requirement, then Metu can play PG.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I feel the same way Chinook does about Metu. Bates-Diop could have been a better pick especially since Gay left and there isn’t a lot of athleticism in the wing position, with or without Leonard. Senior college player, great wingspan, sound fundamentals make Bates-Diop a great pick at 49. Metu won’t be a Jordan Bell but I’m hoping he becomes more like a John Collins. Body type seems like he can’t add much more weight and his shoulders seem narrow, though the thick, plodding center isn’t exactly a commodity nowadays. Interesting to see how he fits.
    I think KBD looks like a better player/prospect too. But he was drafted before the Spurs picked. I don't blame them for not selecting him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From my limited knowledge I'm actually a little higher on this pick than past 2nd rounders. Footwork, pick and roll moves and passing show a little polish. Nice baby hook that might get over NBA defenders. Some range on his jumper. Not a good rebounder for his size and frame isn't going to take much more weight. May actually get some minutes for the mothership someday. Would like to see how he compares to Costello and Putney in summer league.
    Me too. As I said, I hope he starts. I don't see a reasonable justification for going into the off-season without plans for Metu to be at least a two-way guy. I hope he gets PF minutes too, so we can see how well his perimeter skills work against better compe ion. Some of his moves look great, but it's against guys who won't even make the g-league. Reminds me of those vids of Ryan Richards dominating 6-3 guys in high school.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    LOL at arguing over whether a big is a C or PF in 2018.

As more and more teams are fielding 3-4 wings in lineups, bigs will only be playing the "5" spot as the lone big on the floor. Metu will fill the role as a PnR/diving big with versatility to pop on occasion for a mid range.

Thread Information