Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think this is as bad as many here are reacting to, but I don't think it's good. I don't really see it as worse than the 4 year 20 deal so whatever. If he does take a step up we won't be able to keep him but if he does not then we can cut ties sooner.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think this is as bad as many here are reacting to, but I don't think it's good. I don't really see it as worse than the 4 year 20 deal so whatever. If he does take a step up we won't be able to keep him but if he does not then we can cut ties sooner.
    Basically this. I wouldn't have resigned him at all, but whatevs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dag , just a year? Lol.. I think Bertans is talented, and obviously has areas he needs to work on. But it's also possible he makes a leap next year.
    Then if people believe that, SA should have signed him for 4/20. If you believe that no matter what, Kawhi or not, he’s truly talented, why not lock him up for 4 years at a very small amount annually (less than 5% of the cap)?

Get Paycheck, Get Drunk HankChinaski's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It's short term. The team has no other means of adding forward depth bc they are over the cap. Bertans was still seeking offer sheets and Spurs didn't want the risk of letting another team set the terms of the contract, and make it really unpalatable with trade kickers or more than they wanted to pay. They ended up paying him more than their budget but bc of that made the deal shorter. It was a compromise IMO. Just my speculation with some common sense. Have to congratulate him and hope he lives up to it.

For the record Gays deal was only one year bc he will want more next season.

This was never about capspace IMO.

Spurs will have some pieces to trade and that's the only way (and drafting well) they have to reshape things.
    I agree with most of this. Short term contract, for a player the coaching staff is well aware of the players strength an weaknesses on the floor, familiar with team offense an defense schemes. Had to over pay but not damaging to cap space in the long run.

Eh, people here cry about anything worthless about crying about.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bertans Forbes Beli suck. We know their ceilings even if some are young.

If it’s one year deals, great. But if it’s not and it eats into flexiblity next year it’s foolish. I would have rather SA just taken fliers on 3-4 g-league prospects in hopes of striking gold. They would be on minimum deals, one year and probably have more of a shot at something good happening than Forbes/Bertans.

Should have been Metu/Blossomgame/g-league instead of Forbes/g-league instead of Bertans

Beli is a vet, I get it, but start swinging on the younger guys and look for 2-way versatile players.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is a one year / $7.5 million deal heading into next offseason. What he’s making this year literally doesn’t matter outside of it pushing Spurs closer to hard cap.

Totally palatable.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is a one year / $7.5 million deal heading into next offseason. What he’s making this year literally doesn’t matter outside of it pushing Spurs closer to hard cap.

Totally palatable.
    Link? I would love and be elated to see that as fact. Same with Beli. Same with Forbes. Right now, I am operating under the assumption it’s two full years and/or player options until proven otherwise.

My Team
    Golden State Warriors
    Post Count
    Spurs paying everyone but Leonard.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly this. I'd rather have given Parker this money. We're going to be mediocre as anyway. Parker should have never been allowed to put another jersey on.

Get Paycheck, Get Drunk HankChinaski's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't understand the Parker should have stayed talk. For the last couple years all I ever see in this forum is "Pinche Parker" this an "Porker" that, not to mention "Ask Brent Barry if he thinks..." Schtick. Now that he is gone people are arguing they should resign him.

I get the complaints about Bertans an Beli a Forbes flaws but loosen the grip on the armchairs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Horrible. Bjelica is exponentially better and signed for much less. Patfo has lost it in the last two years with these signings

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I really, really hope that Forbes, Belinelli, Bertans and Mills aren't ALL in the rotation

They should be looking for high-level 2-way players like they had in 2013 and 2014, not bottom-level defensive liabilities..even if they don't have money to lure big names, it doesn't mean they should be making a bunch of redundant signings..
    Not saying you are completely wrong, but....Mills and Belinelli were literally in the 2014 rotation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So many "shooters" and no ing playmakers on the team.

I guess they're going to rely again on 40+ year old Manu to try and create open shots for the barrage of 3 point gunners on this team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Best organization

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hot take by Pinoy Marauder tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Honestly this. I'd rather have given Parker this money. We're going to be mediocre as anyway. Parker should have never been allowed to put another jersey on.
    I have thought about Parker... Tony chose to leave on his own. He said S.A. only offered a 1 year deal but I wonder about all these deals too.

Gay and Danny are 1 yr deals now, everyone else got 2 years so maybe they are 1 and 1. In that case it would explain why they didn't match Anderson. He got a 4 year deal and the two extra seasons ate up into their future plans.

I didn't think this was about cap space but now I wonder about it.

I wonder if they are just taking another swing with thei last roster as it was for one more year while holding on to Kawhi and revisiting all of this next summer.. This is speculation and looking at a crystal ball...

But I'd have to see what the real terms are for the second year on Marco, Forbes and Bertans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Again everyone underestimating a pretty good player based on the line year of playing time (it was still erratic) and tons of locker room drama. He has more upside than what he has shown so far too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Davis Bertans >>> Bryn Forbes >> Tony Parker. It was definitely time to move on from Parker.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like that it's only two years, but overpaid, tbh...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol here come the meltdowns. Bertans better than anderson can run faster and jump higher.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have thought about Parker... Tony chose to leave on his own. He said S.A. only offered a 1 year deal but I wonder about all these deals too.

Gay and Danny are 1 yr deals now, everyone else got 2 years so maybe they are 1 and 1. In that case it would explain why they didn't match Anderson. He got a 4 year deal and the two extra seasons ate up into their future plans.

I didn't think this was about cap space but now I wonder about it.

I wonder if they are just taking another swing with thei last roster as it was for one more year while holding on to Kawhi and revisiting all of this next summer.. This is speculation and looking at a crystal ball...

But I'd have to see what the real terms are for the second year on Marco, Forbes and Bertans.
    Sa girl with quasi logic thinking that contracts are for not just short term but long term implications.WOW!!! Almost a full iq point higher than last post!!!! Quick pavlov come say something dumb to lower this thread iq

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Sa girl with quasi logic thinking that contracts are for not just short term but long term implications.WOW!!! Almost a full iq point higher than last post!!!! Quick pavlov come say something dumb to lower this thread iq
    meltdown!

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Totally palatable.
    Link? I would love and be elated to see that as fact. Same with Beli. Same with Forbes. Right now, I am operating under the assumption it’s two full years and/or player options until proven otherwise.
    he's doing a really weird thing trying to downplay a 2 year contract by saying "next year, there will only be one year left!"

Thread Information