Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Based on this Toronto rumor and the fact that it looks like the Lakers and Sixers deal is out the water, wouldn't the clips trade have been the best?? I know nothing has happened yet but just sayin. Not to crazy about DeRozan deal unless they get a couple of pics out of it. Could have had the 12th and 13th pics plus our 18th and Tobias Harris?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Personally, I think so. Only because I think 12/13/18 could have turned into a Top 5-7 pick and a legit big to pair with all of these guards. And Harris isn't a bad gap filler on a short term contract.

But I understand the timing and not wanting to rush a deal.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs have to do due diligence. Hindsight is always 20/20.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not sure spurs woulda kept the 18 in that scenario and they likely would have drafted Walker with one of 12/13.

Shhhh... I'll be gentle. TheDoctor's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs did the correct thing. To wait. You don't act on desperation. Much less if you have the chance to mends things up w/ a Top 4 player.

No matter if that decision will come to bite them in the ass, at that point they did the correct thing.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They wouldn't have been able to directly trade those picks on that . . . just tell Clippers who they want and they would pick for them. But yeah 12/13, Harris, and a Harrell S&T would've been great. I still think we end up trading with them in the end.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They wouldn't have been able to directly trade those picks on that . . . just tell Clippers who they want and they would pick for them. But yeah 12/13, Harris, and a Harrell S&T would've been great. I still think we end up trading with them in the end.
    What do you mean? You can't trade picks? I'm confused. Can you explain?

Free Throw Coach Aggie Hoopsfan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We absolutely needed another thread like this.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What do you mean? You can't trade picks? I'm confused. Can you explain?
    They can't trade both of 12/13 at the same time. Make the picks the Spurs request and then you can trade the rookies 30 days later as a workaround.

Trust me, I felt the Spurs should've pulled the trigger when it happened. LWIV/Bridges/Mitc Robinson/Metu, Tobias Harris, and Harrell would've been great.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs did the correct thing. To wait. You don't act on desperation. Much less if you have the chance to mends things up w/ a Top 4 player.

No matter if that decision will come to bite them in the ass, at that point they did the correct thing.
    As much as Leonard is a mofo, this is Kawhi ing Leonard, a top 3 NBA player.

All these crappy trades will look cute when the real discussions will start. This is not sunday night poker with the guys at your house and Spurs are not your random Las Vegas tourist coming up to lose his money.

Pop and RC are final table players, the guys who know exactly what they can do with their hand and the virtue of patience.

Why rushing or panicking ? Suitors are there and start to understand Spurs won't call their bluff or take their crap. You can even let the season play out, let Kawhi show he still has it and some teams realizing they don't have what it takes godfathering their offers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Perhaps so, but time will tell. The Spurs needed to try and work things out with KL or at least let the best offer hit the table. It was too soon to make a hasty decision. The FO knew the risks. BTW, I think Fusternino meant Jerome Robinson, not Mitc Robinson. Jerome's footwork is terrific.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They can't trade both of 12/13 at the same time. Make the picks the Spurs request and then you can trade the rookies 30 days later as a workaround.

Trust me, I felt the Spurs should've pulled the trigger when it happened. LWIV/Bridges/Mitc Robinson/Metu, Tobias Harris, and Harrell would've been great.
    Pretty sure the rule is for future first round picks, not picks in the same draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't think that is that much value.. I like tobias harris, but we wouldn't be contenders and the picks were too low to do much of anything.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Perhaps so, but time will tell. The Spurs needed to try and work things out with KL or at least let the best offer hit the table. It was too soon to make a hasty decision. The FO knew the risks. BTW, I think Fusternino meant Jerome Robinson, not Mitc Robinson. Jerome's footwork is terrific.
    Wasn't this board high on Mitc Robinson for awhile as a high ceiling low floor mobile big? I still think we take LWIV with one of the 12/13 picks so not sure we pick another guard with the 13 pick.

As for the pick rule all I saw was a post stating only one of 12/13 could be traded on draft night itself but a 13-18 pick swap could also be offered. So if we actually wanted all 3 first round picks we would need to wait until after the draft itself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    but apo said it was a done deal

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, that's terrible value. Maybe the team winds up with similar or worse, but there was no reason to rush at that point. There still isn't.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No because at that point we would have probably drafted Michael Porter Jr since he was falling in the draft. That would have been a risk that may never pay off if his health never got right.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y9apfyh6

I wrote up this trade . . . also include Harrell S&T to the Spurs, two first round picks from the Clippers to the Heat, and one first round pick from the Clippers to the Spurs. This is better value . . . not sure the Heat would go for it, though.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs have to do due diligence. Hindsight is always 20/20.
    + 100000000000000000000000000

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was absolutely the right trade to do.

which is why RV Drunkford didn't pull the trigger.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No. Not only would they have been unecessarily rushing into an unappealing trade, but one that sent him where he supposedly wants to go and keeping him in conference. That combination is untenable.

If the supposed Raptors discussions are real and the pieces are what I suspect they would be (Leonard and Green for DeRozan, Anunoby, Poeltl), that's a superior package, with the added bonus of not placating Leonard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No. Not only would they have been unecessarily rushing into an unappealing trade, but one that sent him where he supposedly wants to go and keeping him in conference. That combination is untenable.

If the supposed Raptors discussions are real and the pieces are what I suspect they would be (Leonard and Green for DeRozan, Anunoby, Poeltl), that's a superior package, with the added bonus of not placating Leonard.
    Forget about the Toronto deal. Spurs need to go for Butler.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

This. People wanting them to go all in early are the same kind that are always the first out in poker. Sometimes people get lucky and beat you on the river, but you always play the highest percentage.

Keeping him was definitely the right call in this scenario.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Forget about the Toronto deal. Spurs need to go for Butler.
    Butler is not going to be available unless he tells them that he's not re-signing or that he wants a trade.

Despite some troubling signs for the Timberwolves, there's a very real possibility he hasn't made up his mind nearly a year in advance and even if he is leaning towards leaving, this is a volatile league. Things could change next season and he might decide to lock in the money (they can offer $49M more than anyone else).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This. People wanting them to go all in early are the same kind that are always the first out in poker. Sometimes people get lucky and beat you on the river, but you always play the highest percentage.

Keeping him was definitely the right call in this scenario.
    This is not the poker anology I would use . I see it as Spurs not knowing when to foldem and overplaying a losing hand. I think it is the Spurs going all in and waiting to get lucky on the river.

Thread Information