Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are you the one who despite being an atheist sends his kids to a Christian school? If so, I applaud you for doing what you think is best for them - putting up with religious class/environment to do what you think is best for them. I think all parents should have that choice - not just those who can afford to. I think that parents know best what is good for their children - and should not be limited to the public school monopoly.

Re: performance measures - reminds me of our now infamous FCAT - where the teacher would say - this is the way you write for the FCAT essay (to get a good score) - for everything else, do it this way - must be confusing keeping which way to write straight.
    Yup, I pay for my daughter to be in a Christian school right now because the positives of the small classes and outstanding art programs outweigh the negatives of teaching about creationism.

Has nothing to do with me being for or against vouchers.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Blake has kids? Poor bas s
    She knows what litotes are and how they are properly used. She's smarter than you.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are you the one who despite being an atheist sends his kids to a Christian school? If so, I applaud you for doing what you think is best for them - putting up with religious class/environment to do what you think is best for them. I think all parents should have that choice - not just those who can afford to. I think that parents know best what is good for their children - and should not be limited to the public school monopoly.

Re: performance measures - reminds me of our now infamous FCAT - where the teacher would say - this is the way you write for the FCAT essay (to get a good score) - for everything else, do it this way - must be confusing keeping which way to write straight.
    Like students don’t try to do this in college... or for other exams. If you have a measurement system for some ability in humans, rated by humans, this WILL be the case.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Italicized:

Thats debatebale. They might know more about their learning style. But often have no clue how to compare them. Now having friends with little ones, they are all above average. Well that’s just great.
    Other parents want nothing to do with their children as they grow older. The public school system is REQUIRED to take them on. If the voucher school follows the same rules and takes all comers, no matter what disability they have, then they should be eligible for PUBLIC money. If not, no funds. Simple. Follow the rules public schools must, teach the beaten at home, teach the non English speaking a High Schooler from France. Teach the disabled.

Private schools are fantastic for getting YOUR kids around other kids whose parents care. And for sequestering them from less desirable students.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yup, I pay for my daughter to be in a Christian school right now because the positives of the small classes and outstanding art programs outweigh the negatives of teaching about creationism.

Has nothing to do with me being for or against vouchers.
    Do you not pay property taxes or rent that covers property tax? Is your daughter any less deserving of an education than a public school student? Why should you foot the entire bill for the school you feel is best for her? Why shouldn't you get the "average" amount that is spent on a public school student and make up the rest? And the money that is saved from you choosing to send your child to private school or from me choosing to home school goes toward the other public school students - and the schools still don't do a good job (in general).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Italicized:

Thats debatebale. They might know more about their learning style. But often have no clue how to compare them. Now having friends with little ones, they are all above average. Well that’s just great.
    Other parents want nothing to do with their children as they grow older. The public school system is REQUIRED to take them on. If the voucher school follows the same rules and takes all comers, no matter what disability they have, then they should be eligible for PUBLIC money. If not, no funds. Simple. Follow the rules public schools must, teach the beaten at home, teach the non English speaking a High Schooler from France. Teach the disabled.

Private schools are fantastic for getting YOUR kids around other kids whose parents care. And for sequestering them from less desirable students.
    pgardn, schools do get more money for disabled, ESOL, gifted kids. I know you guys hate anecdotes but straight from an administrator as I filled out IEP for gifted child (taking 2 classes at public school) - the extra money from gifted students go toward remedial classes to raise the all-important benchmarks used to rate schools. That's not even mentioning all those who test close to that magic 130 IQ who gets "pushed" up to qualify for more money. LOL at 25 gifted kids among 150 when it should be 1.5 kids (top 1%).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    pgardn, schools do get more money for disabled, ESOL, gifted kids. I know you guys hate anecdotes but straight from an administrator as I filled out IEP for gifted child (taking 2 classes at public school) - the extra money from gifted students go toward remedial classes to raise the all-important benchmarks used to rate schools. That's not even mentioning all those who test close to that magic 130 IQ who gets "pushed" up to qualify for more money. LOL at 25 gifted kids among 150 when it should be 1.5 kids (top 1%).
    Its not nearly enough. Don’t be silly. When private schools take on the extra money and teach the disabled, the kids with horrible family lives, and the disabled, they get extra funds as well.

Its VERY simple.

But they will not. Because they are private schools. They can CHOOSE their clients. Why is this so hard to understand? And I’m definitely not saying large public schools systems don’t waste. They can be as bad as the military or any large government en y. Public schools also create a great deal of inertia so they are also difficult to change. Just like other large public en ies.

Public schools in urban areas are forced to have huge schools. They cannot survive on the federal and state funds in Texas to make 10 separate High schools for 4000 thousand kids, so there is ONE. Let’s not be disingenuous here...

Private schools play by public rules, they get public funds. It’s not difficult and so obvious.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And then YOU change the funding and the rules for admission standards for public schools rmt, go after that.

Then, respect. Don’t come at me with this dollar per student head when public schools also transport, feed, and have 3 support staffers to handle one kid that should be ins utionalized.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I hope you don't mean me personally - you know what route I took.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And then YOU change the funding and the rules for admission standards for public schools rmt, go after that.

Then, respect. Don’t come at me with this dollar per student head when public schools also transport, feed, and have 3 support staffers to handle one kid that should be ins utionalized.
    ME? Go up against the all powerful teachers' unions? It's a shame that those who would most benefit from school choice (from low income areas) ferociously defend the public school system. I am surrounded by the waste, the bureaucracy, the ridiculous patch work and decision making of huge public school system. I don't bite off more than I can chew - that's an exercise in futility.

Maybe YOU should go after the one kid who should be ins utionalized like that Parkland shooter who SO MANY public officials passed over. So much for the system and liberal programs such as:

The PROMISE Program (Preventing Recidivism through Opportunities, Mentoring, Interventions, Supports & Education) represents the most comprehensive thinking available to address socially unacceptable or illegal behavior, targeting both short and long term academic success, aligning best practice models and Restorative Justice principles, and developing pro-social and resiliency skills. PROMISE, while addressing the behavior specific to the youth, is committed to addressing family and community cir stances that serve as both strengths and challenges for the youth’s resiliency. PROMISE is an intervention-based program designed to correct student behavior that violates Policy 5.8 and/or Policy 5006, Suspension and Expulsion. PROMISE utilizes a comprehensive set of supports and education. The intent of PROMISE is to safeguard the student from entering the judicial system.

https://www.browardprevention.org/behavior/promise/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    ME? Go up against the all powerful teachers' unions? It's a shame that those who would most benefit from school choice (from low income areas) ferociously defend the public school system. I am surrounded by the waste, the bureaucracy, the ridiculous patch work and decision making of huge public school system. I don't bite off more than I can chew - that's an exercise in futility.

Maybe YOU should go after the one kid who should be ins utionalized like that Parkland shooter who SO MANY public officials passed over. So much for the system and liberal programs such as:

The PROMISE Program (Preventing Recidivism through Opportunities, Mentoring, Interventions, Supports & Education) represents the most comprehensive thinking available to address socially unacceptable or illegal behavior, targeting both short and long term academic success, aligning best practice models and Restorative Justice principles, and developing pro-social and resiliency skills. PROMISE, while addressing the behavior specific to the youth, is committed to addressing family and community cir stances that serve as both strengths and challenges for the youth’s resiliency. PROMISE is an intervention-based program designed to correct student behavior that violates Policy 5.8 and/or Policy 5006, Suspension and Expulsion. PROMISE utilizes a comprehensive set of supports and education. The intent of PROMISE is to safeguard the student from entering the judicial system.

https://www.browardprevention.org/behavior/promise/
    There are no unions in Texas.

There are zero strikes.

When kids go back into the same crappy environment night after night into the summer, that PROMISE program is gonna cost huge $ to be effective. Might as well adopt them on your own.

Sorry, did not mean Your.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you not pay property taxes or rent that covers property tax? Is your daughter any less deserving of an education than a public school student? Why should you foot the entire bill for the school you feel is best for her? Why shouldn't you get the "average" amount that is spent on a public school student and make up the rest?
    Because the private school does things the way they want to.

If we're all going to pool our money through taxes to educate our kids, then we should have academic standards that are consistent across the board.

I don't want to give my tax dollar to some nut job that wants to home school their kids, making up their own standards.

Thread Information