my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Was on the water and out of service. Did not hear about this. And completely don’t get it.

1. This violent wind was tracked on their path well before they were underway.
    2. When water starts coming over the bow of a vessel it can get super heavy unless the water immediately runs off the vessel. This is very serious , water is 8lbs per gallon and immediately calls for putting on life jackets that should already be on in that weather.
    3. The other boat running next to them made the captain think it was okay? Or what...
    the video shows water coming over the front of the distressed vessel well before it was shoved down by water weight and loss of buoyancy.
    4. If you are in an enclosed vessel get the fck near a way out with a life jacketon... Christ...
    5. Those waves were fairly close together which happens with wind that is close giving this energy through the surface. This is not good. Heading straight into it??? Go the opposite way and toward a shoreline which could have been done although I don’t know if the shoreline was irregular and craggy preventing a level landing. Guess the partner boat making it convinced the captain to keep taking water over the “bow” ? The partner boat was in trouble as well. Making very slow headway against constant wave action. (From the video)
    6. Those poor people get on those vessels possibly not even knowing how to swim or the danger of water. That’s so fckn unfair. The captain... wtf... The company wtf... What does It take to get a captains liscence to carry that many people?

Personal tip.
    If you don’t know how to swim and are not acquainted with the danger of rough water in wide open water “fetch” you might not want to get on. You are relying on a company to keep you safe. The ferry accidents in other countries with unregulated should be a lesson ( hundreds drown) This happened in Missouri...

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Capn was 70+ years old

Any boat that cannot take rough water on a freshwater lake should not be a tour boat, should not have that many people on it, should not go out with those conditions...

I have swamped my share of boats, barely survived a bad one offshore, one in Buchanan, another on the Mississippi River. In each instance the boat remained afloat even though it filled with water and in each instance the boat was a "get on" not "get in" boat. In each instance it was poor decision or human error that caused the problem. One was my decision to go across the lake to the ramp when I should have just hit a cove and gotten a ride to the other side, and brought my trailer back. One was a friend speared a large wave because he dropped his phone and throttled down to pick it up at the valley of a wave. The river was a whirlpool. Nothing like being in an aluminum boat and watching the engine get pulled under by a sudden hole that develops. Each time I have a PFD on.

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Capn was 70+ years old

Any boat that cannot take rough water on a freshwater lake should not be a tour boat, should not have that many people on it, should not go out with those conditions...

I have swamped my share of boats, barely survived a bad one offshore, one in Buchanan, another on the Mississippi River. In each instance the boat remained afloat even though it filled with water and in each instance the boat was a "get on" not "get in" boat. In each instance it was poor decision or human error that caused the problem. One was my decision to go across the lake to the ramp when I should have just hit a cove and gotten a ride to the other side, and brought my trailer back. One was a friend speared a large wave because he dropped his phone and throttled down to pick it up at the valley of a wave. The river was a whirlpool. Nothing like being in an aluminum boat and watching the engine get pulled under by a sudden hole that develops. Each time I have a PFD on.
    Had basically the same thing happen with my cousin, but the engine did not go under.
    It just took what seemed like an eternity for the boat to finally empty after spearing close together waves. We had been through the same conditions before but never with the wavelength short. You enter a trough and then the next crest is suddenly over the bow. Also on my sit on top kayak in the surf but just to play/experiment. The water ran off very fast but I also got completely flipped bow to stern and thrown out. The kayak could have clocked me on the head after a full lengthwise rotation.

I don’t wear a pfd enough. It’s so damn hot right now... I’m a good open water swimmer, which probably means I’m more likely to die taking risks.

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes
    1. Duck boats are death traps when you look at them.
    2. What was the wind mph when the boat embarked? I question the original decision making.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    I was wondering what tf a "duck boat" was so had to look it up.. Amphibious school bus sounds pretty badass.. My only question is why the didn't they rush for sure the second a storm was on the way?

6X ST MVP
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Iowa Hawkeyes

Thread Information