Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh I don't know maybe because picking 1-10 is better than picking at 20-30. Just look at how excited everyone was we got 18th this year.

As I previously stated, the Spurs as constructed now have a very remote chance of winning anything of significance.

And lets not compare franchises here--this is the Spurs. They have a pretty track record drafting well.
    Teams like the Bucks, Jazz, Magic, Kings, etc. etc. pick 1-10 year after year after year. It's an awful treadmill to be on and only a ton of good luck and a lot of hard work can get you back.

Spurs have some guards that may pan out while they try to rebuild as they're still built to strike past the first round in the playoffs. That's what is assured. Let's stick with that for at least a couple of years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Are the Spurs going to install a tampon dispenser in the locker room? Aldridge and DeRozan in the same locker room, not to mention Pau is still around

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The Spurs tanked before and got TD so tanking isn't all that bad. That was a quick one year rebuild but it worked.
    Rebuild?
    Thats called luck.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rebuild?
    Thats called luck.
    x2

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs have some guards that may pan out while they try to rebuild as they're still built to strike past the first round in the playoffs. That's what is assured. Let's stick with that for at least a couple of years.
    And a top 15 big man prospect too....what else do that people want?????

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I understand DeRozan being upset tbh. He's been the face of that franchise for almost a decade, didn't even take another meeting during Free Agency two summers ago before re-signing with Toronto, and loved the franchise, the city, and all his teammates. Kyle Lowry's also his best friend. He legitimately wanted to spend his entire career there and he was blindsided by this trade after being told he wouldn't be dealt. So I get it.

With that said, take the week to grieve and reflect, and then get your ass to SA so you can get to work. You're still getting paid $27M per to play ball. And you get to play with arguably the GOAT coach. Let's get it my G.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Derozan was throwing a tantrum last playoffs because casey and nurse benched him for being an awful defender.

He's essentially the 30th best player in the nba and the spurs think they won the trade?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spursfans went from Tim Duncan Avis to Leonard to

Derozan

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Derozan

I'm happy this is fun for you. This is how you get pleasure... Nice.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spursfans went from Tim Duncan Avis to Leonard to Leonard to
    Last edited by BatManu20; 07-21-2018 at 06:22 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Teams like the Bucks, Jazz, Magic, Kings, etc. etc. pick 1-10 year after year after year. It's an awful treadmill to be on and only a ton of good luck and a lot of hard work can get you back.

This.

As much confidence as I have in PATFO's ability to draft, tanking seldom works out for organizations. Teams like Philly are the exception, not the norm. It usually takes a perfect storm to get a franchise-changing player with the top pick, ala us and Timmy. The teams you see tanking seem to be the same ones doing it year in and year out. Their fan bases are miserable. If you have a chance to compete right now, you stay with it. Guys like DJ and Lonnie are good building blocks for the future too. Worst case scenario, we can trade DeMar and LaMarcus in a year or two for picks if it's clearly not working out. But just straight up tanking, unless your star player(s) are out for the season, isn't smart, and the rebuilding process is usually a long, cold, and often unfruitful expedition.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still possible to flip DeRozan and Aldridge next Summer for picks if this thing doesn't work out, tbh.

That would be a smart move and I hope pop and RC read the tea leaves and just start the rebuild sooner than later. Pop wants to leave the franchise in good standing. Leaving them as the Memphis grizzlies is not what I would want.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That would be a smart move and I hope pop and RC read the tea leaves and just start the rebuild sooner than later. Pop wants to leave the franchise in good standing. Leaving them as the Memphis grizzlies is not what I would want.
    I have an inkling (just a personal feeling) that the death of his wife (R.I.P.) and this recent upheaval, along with some promising young players on the team, might give him cause and want to stick around awhile longer, health willing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Play 82 games fir us.....

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This.

As much confidence as I have in PATFO's ability to draft, tanking seldom works out for organizations. Teams like Philly are the exception, not the norm. It usually takes a perfect storm to get a franchise-changing player with the top pick, ala us and Timmy. The teams you see tanking seem to be the same ones doing it year in and year out. Their fan bases are miserable. If you have a chance to compete right now, you stay with it. Guys like DJ and Lonnie are good building blocks for the future too. Worst case scenario, we can trade DeMar and LaMarcus in a year or two for picks if it's clearly not working out. But just straight up tanking, unless your star player(s) are out for the season, isn't smart, and the rebuilding process is usually a long, cold, and often unfruitful expedition.
    Take a look at GSW.
    The current top dog. Look at how many lottery picks they whiffed at before Curry. Even whiffed the year after with a #6 pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have an inkling (just a personal feeling) that the death of his wife (R.I.P.) and this recent upheaval, along with some promising young players on the team, might give him cause and want to stick around awhile longer, health willing.

I get the feeling that players like to praise pop from afar. But don’t necessarily want to play for him. Pop is tough and makes you follow through on his system or else. The players today want to play with their friends and not be coached hard. I love pop for everything he’s done but getting free agents has not been very successful. That’s why I feel drafting players they want to build a team with is the way to go.

2004-2005 NBA Champions Barfunk's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We're gonna/going to win a championship with DeRozan.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd have been a proponent of re-building had they been able to get an actual perceived high end young player/prospect as the centerpiece of a package.

Either way, history shows us that picking high repeatedly isn't the way to contention though. Outside of the Thunder, I can't thinking of a recent example of a team nailing a string of high picks and becoming a contender. Most teams did it by finding core players all over the draft.

Even a successful re-build is likely to yield something like what this team is. If they had prospect versions of Aldridge and DeRozan, most people would probably be happy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    at least Poeltl got showed his desire to play here right away

I don't post here much but FWIW .... Something about this guys game I really looking forward to watching the Spurs develop !!! He has hops and some speed which is something for a 7 footer !!!

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If Nephew cared 1/100th as much about the Spurs and San Antonio that DeRozan cared about the Raptors and Toronto, this trade would have never been necessary.
    Hi Timvp, Now that the trade is completed, have you heard anything more about what went on behind closed doors that hasn't been reported/let out into the media? You don't have to tell us if you're not allowed to, but just curious if you've heard more than has been released to the press?

Was it pretty much all Kawhi and his people or did the Spurs play a part in him wanting to leave?

By the way, all those people talking about rebuilds, not sure if you guys were around in the D-Rob era, but I got on about halfway through his prime and the last thing I want is a rebuild. Even if you were to get great young talent in the draft, with social media and all that these days, what makes you think those players will stick around with San Antonio for the long haul? If the Spurs can bring star players here, if they can find good/great players that want to sign here, then I would do that all day as opposed to rebuilding from scratch. You never know how long it will take through the draft to even get to where the Spurs are now. D-Rob had such a tough time trying to win in the playoffs with the mediocre players he had around him. If only they could have gotten one other star level player to join him, things may have ended up very differently and he may have been able to win a ring or two in his prime.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its time to rebuild this with home grown talent. Its the only way for San Antonio to succeed. The more it settles in the more I wish patfo would've traded the for a pick heavy option.
    Home grown talent? - What you want to bunch of short Mexicans to start getting contracts from the Spurs?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Derozan

Just stop

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

Derozan

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    "Sup dude. Have a good day, man."
    I hope you get rot you ing piece of

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Home grown talent? - What you want to bunch of short Mexicans to start getting contracts from the Spurs?
    Small balls where its at right?

Thread Information