Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't understand the Dame bashing. Especially from fans of a team with G leaguers as their PGs.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lillard would officially qualify for the supermax if he’s voted to one of the three All-NBA Teams, which is virtually a lock for the four-time All-Star.
    Collective bargaining actually based on those rigged votes?

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't understand the Dame bashing. Especially from fans of a team with G leaguers as their PGs.
    Those teams aren't paying a 191 M for a guy who can be savagely shut down by a 35-year-old Iguodala at crunch time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He is an overhyped Patty Mills, borderline corpse.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why offer the supermax, when most teams under cap can only give max...

why didnt they offer him the max instead?

PRICELESS SPURS FAN polandprzem's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why offer the supermax, when most teams under cap can only give max...

why didnt they offer him the max instead?
    Supermax sounds cool.

Lilard needs to have better team to win something. He is not capable of being a leader that can lead on his own. Either some character guys or just a better coach. All in all he is not worth supermax.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    “Dame is a special player,” Warriors star Draymond Green told Yahoo Sports. “He just keeps battling. He loves this team and this city, and you respect the fact that he wants to win here and do it his way. He’s an ultimate compe or, and you can tell he’s from Oakland. He’s going to find a way to get it done.”

That's a good quote from Draymond. Lookin out for Dame during his big contract time.
    Classic Gaymond, smart and dirty.

Interfering in another franchise's contract negotiations, to get them to sign a albatross contract (in the long run).

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Just the reality of the supermax tbh, pretty punitive unless you have a top 2-3 player.
    I would say top 5 player, but still, Dame just ain't that guy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Classic Gaymond, smart and dirty.

Interfering in another franchise's contract negotiations, to get them to sign a albatross contract (in the long run).
    You’re ridiculous

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m not sure there are more than 4 players who deserve the Super-Max. Giannis, Kawhi, Steph, and LeBron. Though LeBron is simply from a business standpoint at this time. He brings in a ton of money for a franchise. KD has to show me he’s actually capable of handling being the man on the team instead of picking twitter fights with random dudes. Also he hasn’t shown he can lead a team to the finals without joining a ing dynasty. Lol at 35-4 without him. Dude is all kinds of salty and better pray his team chokes again in the finals without him or he’s healthy and wins another Finals MVP to get people to forget that his team doesn’t need him.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I’m not sure there are more than 4 players who deserve the Super-Max. Giannis, Kawhi, Steph, and LeBron. Though LeBron is simply from a business standpoint at this time. He brings in a ton of money for a franchise. KD has to show me he’s actually capable of handling being the man on the team instead of picking twitter fights with random dudes. Also he hasn’t shown he can lead a team to the finals without joining a ing dynasty. Lol at 35-4 without him. Dude is all kinds of salty and better pray his team chokes again in the finals without him or he’s healthy and wins another Finals MVP to get people to forget that his team doesn’t need him.
    Im with you and CN

This would be my list:
    Lebron KD Giannis Steph Harden and Kawhi (if healthy)

I get that Dame, Embiid, Jokic, Russ Wall etc have or will get it too ... if not super then a max anyways ... but I Would do what clips did sign them and then flip 'em for future unprotected picks.

IF hornets (or anyone else) pay anything close to that $$ for Kemba jimmy butler etc they deserve whatever they get the last few years of those contracts even if it's my Lakers ...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Im with you and CN

This would be my list:
    Lebron KD Giannis Steph Harden and Kawhi (if healthy)

I get that Dame, Embiid, Jokic, Russ Wall etc have or will get it too ... if not super then a max anyways ... but I Would do what clips did sign them and then flip 'em for future unprotected picks.

IF hornets (or anyone else) pay anything close to that $$ for Kemba jimmy butler etc they deserve whatever they get the last few years of those contracts even if it's my Lakers ...
    That is why Jerry West is the best in the business. What he did for the Warriors and now how he is setting up the Clippers for the future. He always 2 or 3 moves ahead of otherez.

Board Man Comes Home Clipper Nation's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    Not thinking Lillard deserves the supermax is not the same thing as bashing him. He can be good and still not be $191 million good.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Not thinking Lillard deserves the supermax is not the same thing as bashing him. He can be good and still not be $191 million good.
    Exactly, but the reality is he will get it and so will so many good players. It used to be you have to be great and one of top 5-10 players in the NBA not anymore.

If an old broken down Chris Paul can make 40 million a year why can't Dame

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree that the Blazers have to give it to him. If you're a small market team and you have a top 20 player who wants to stay, you have to max him out ... no questions asked.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow I didn't know it was a 4 year extension. I thought it was 5 years. He is going to make over $50 million and $53 million his last two years. Damn, great time to be an NBA player!

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember when $30 million year was a lot then $40 million now it is around $50 million.

They wrote if he got the supermax in 2020 and a 5 year contact would pay him $57 million his final year.

Can teams afford to players more$50 million a year, nd still build around them?

Spurs Fan
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There’s 4-5 guys in the NBA worth that much money. Lillard is NOT one of them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree that the Blazers have to give it to him. If you're a small market team and you have a top 20 player who wants to stay, you have to max him out ... no questions asked.
    unless you are the Spurs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Exactly, but the reality is he will get it and so will so many good players. It used to be you have to be great and one of top 5-10 players in the NBA not anymore.

If an old broken down Chris Paul can make 40 million a year why can't Dame
    There is the whole all NBA team 2-3 years running part of it. Which kind of means you are one of the top players in the league (at the time you receive the award)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    unless you are the Spurs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember when $30 million year was a lot then $40 million now it is around $50 million.

They wrote if he got the supermax in 2020 and a 5 year contact would pay him $57 million his final year.

Can teams afford to players more$50 million a year, and still build around them?
    Sure, just don't pay players who aren't worth that money that money (*cough* Mills). Instead, pay them according to their VORP (in Mills case, maybe even less than replacement level).

Veteran
    My Team
    Atlanta Hawks
    Post Count
    Harlem and Apalisoc. Don't fall for this camouflaged racism. They hate seeing non-whites get paid. Its why they're going to John Wall level pocket-watching such as downplaying how good Lillard is, bringing up his age when contract runs out. Notice most hardcore racists like Clipper Nation and Spurtacular are on the same side.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Destroying your cap flexibility for a treadmill team is never a great idea. Even if you're not a premier free agency destination, staying flexible still makes it so much easier to make those moves on the margins that separate good teams from great ones. It also allows you to take on short-term bad contracts with long-term assets attached during a rebuild. Plus, you avoid situations like the Wizards are in right now where they're saddled with the most untradeable contract in the league.

Sure, fans will revolt now if the Blazers don't offer Lillard the supermax. But those same fans will eventually get tired of sitting through uncompe ive playoff sweeps with Lillard and start demanding a rebuild later, when he's older, higher-paid and harder to trade. There's no clear-cut winning option here that pleases everybody, and that's a failure on Silver's part.
    So 30 teams should run their business on the hopes that they luck into a superstar and all the requisite surrounding pieces? At any given time, at least 25 are not going to be in that position no matter what they do.

Flexible for what? No superstar is signing in something like 25 markets.

You do realize a successful re-build yield something like what the Trail Blazers are, right? Anything beyond that requires extreme luck.

What's Silver supposed to do about the fact that one player can have a massive effect on the sport and the reality that most of these divas resort to groupthink and now virtually all (at least American superstars) supposedly want to play in major markets?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    That is why Jerry West is the best in the business. What he did for the Warriors and now how he is setting up the Clippers for the future. He always 2 or 3 moves ahead of otherez.
    he is best GM ever but he didnt really do shot for the warriors or Grizz
    his best work was done with Lakers and his consulting with Clippers.

Thread Information