Would you agree?

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    MVP in today's NBA

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Yes, he was the system. Malone couldn’t do it in ‘04 with Payton.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Howard Eisley would come and run the same pick and roll plays with the same success

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    somewhat I guess, but I agree with the statement that he was the system. I think malone is one of the most overrated players of all time, I always felt stockton was easily more important to their success. he was ahead of his time and played in such a slow era, would thrive in a fast system where he could bomb threes freely. he was basically Steve Nash with good defensive instincts.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    Pretty much, this.

MVP in today's NBA

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    MVP in today's NBA
    lol Stockton couldn’t create his own shots, needed pick and rolls
    Eisley would come off the bench and execute the exact same plays, he was just a black Stockton tbh

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    lol Stockton couldn’t create his own shots, needed pick and rolls
    Eisley would come off the bench and execute the exact same plays, he was just a black Stockton tbh
    this. thats why even though i feel he is the system, hes still somewhat of a system player. i dont see him being able to consistently create offense in crunchtime situations without a properly executed pick play, at least not to the degree that most modern elite guards can like dame, steph, booker, mitc , beal, luka, cp3 etc... they can create with or without a pick, can completely embarass mismatches, and can consistently hit tough shots even against strong, well-executed defense.

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    tbh i feel its similar to bron/AD

AD is putting up bigger stats and everyone has been focused on his incredible numbers, but its clear who's more valuable and who the true leader of the lakers is, and the BPM and VORP backs it up, as well as the fact that the team suffers much more when bron goes out of the game, than when AD goes out of the game. in fact, i believe the team still had a solid net positive when Bron played without AD, while having being massively negative when AD played without Bron

it seemed the same for stockton and malone imo

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    John Stockton was a system player like Tim Duncan was a system player.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tbh i feel its similar to bron/AD

AD is putting up bigger stats and everyone has been focused on his incredible numbers, but its clear who's more valuable and who the true leader of the lakers is, and the BPM and VORP backs it up, as well as the fact that the team suffers much more when bron goes out of the game, than when AD goes out of the game. in fact, i believe the team still had a solid net positive when Bron played without AD, while having being massively negative when AD played without Bron

it seemed the same for stockton and malone imo
    That was in the regular season. In the playoffs, it's been the exact opposite.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Howard Eisley would come and run the same pick and roll plays with the same success
    Rondo has been coming in & running the same PnR with better success. Game manager LeBrat.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    That was in the regular season. In the playoffs, it's been the exact opposite.
    #playoffRondo

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Triggered because S bag's star is dimming and more people are starting to see the light.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Triggered because S bag's star is dimming and more people are starting to see the light.
    Just like the stars were dimming in 2018

#Triggered b/c Uncle Dennis ended tyFO

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stockton's hugely underrated IMO. Damn he almost carried choking ass Malone to a le in 98. Stockton always seemed to be the big shot guy on that team. Can't imagine what was going through his head when hit that backbreaking three on Chicago with like 40 seconds in Game 6 that should have won them the game only for Malone to fall on his ass and cough the ball up to Jordan on the next play and thus blow the lead Stockton had just given them. ing Malone threw that le away. I can't imagine Pippen playing a Game 7 that series with how ed he was in Game 6.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    Stockton's hugely underrated IMO. Damn he almost carried choking ass Malone to a le in 98. Stockton always seemed to be the big shot guy on that team. Can't imagine what was going through his head when hit that backbreaking three on Chicago with like 40 econds in Game 6 that should have won them the game only for Malone to fall on his ass and cough the ball up to Jordan on the next play and thus blow the lead Stockton had just given them. ing Malone threw that le away. I can't imagine Pippen playing a Game 7 that series with how ed he was in Game 6.
    DK: No OT tonight

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stockton was small and didn’t have all world speed. He was easy to game plan for in the playoffs if you could knock the Jazz out of rhythm. The way to shut down John was to rough him up and put a long defender on him. (The Spurs did the exact opposite by guarding him with Avery ing Johnson )

That said, John did a lot of things that had nothing to do with any system. Him not missing like 19 games in 19 years is damn impressive. His steals were signs of great anticipation. Also he probably set the greatest screens of all time for a guard. Can’t system that kind of heart

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Underrated?

Nah he was overrated.

Isiah, KJ, Payton, Tim Hardaway, Terry Porter, those dudes all skull ed him
    Last edited by lefty; 10-03-2020 at 10:39 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The handles weren't as developed in those days as they are now for elite PGs.

6X ST MVP
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You had four guys that knew if they'd work their asses off, Stockton would find them.
    You watch Stockton vs. Earvin in the 88 playoffs, Earvin was outclassed. Frankly, Stockton was the real MVP that season too.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The handles weren't as developed in those days as they are now for elite PGs.
    Yeah Zeke had ty handles

Thread Information