Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Y’all tripping. Obviously HBO has taken liberties …
    4th wall bothered me at first
    As did the vintage film stock look
    But cast is great …
    They did not make it a Magic or Buss Fluff piece Magic in particular they are
    Showing his dark side and his womanizing… which are well do ented.
    Both West and Riley being hardened by their complicated relationships with their fathers also true.
    West throwing his trophy all over his office and threw his window? False. Him wanting Moncreif over Magic or trying to move Earvin to PF do ented fact.
    But we will start to West genius as he transitions to the front office full time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    West wasn't a perfect GM tbh
    Good thing Buss didn't listen to him on Magic/Moncrief

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Adrienne Brody as Pat Riley.
    0/10

Don't want to know the sordid details of how that cast came to be.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Learned how the mob wanted to keep Tarkanian in Vegas and how close he was to coaching the Fakers.
    To the point of hit being made on Vic Weiss (and later 3 others altho Weiss related not Laker related). Wow.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Y’all tripping. Obviously HBO has taken liberties …
    4th wall bothered me at first
    As did the vintage film stock look
    But cast is great …
    They did not make it a Magic or Buss Fluff piece Magic in particular they are
    Showing his dark side and his womanizing… which are well do ented.
    Both West and Riley being hardened by their complicated relationships with their fathers also true.
    West throwing his trophy all over his office and threw his window? False. Him wanting Moncreif over Magic or trying to move Earvin to PF do ented fact.
    But we will start to West genius as he transitions to the front office full time.
    But we're not seeing the parts where Magic gets womanized. Also man, 3 full episodes out of 10 and the 79-80 season hasn't even started?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    0/10

A young Robert De Niro would have been perfect casting for Riley tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Claire Rothman the head accountant and Forum events GM:
    "Has given mostly a thumbs-down to the HBO series, which is based off the 2014 book about the Lakers’ dynasty written by former Sports Illustrated writer Jeff Pearlman."
    She was not consulted. She was consulted for Jeannie Buss' upcoming do entary and looks forward to that.
    However in true Hollywood - Laker spirit she continues "“I’m very anxious to see both of them, because any publicity can be good publicity.”

How did Ricky Bobby Cal get cast as Jerry Buss?
    Adam McKay (“Don’t Look Up,” “Anchorman,” “Talladega Nights”) is the director.

Buss is starting to grow on me in the series, i like his risk taking and go for it personality.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    But we're not seeing the parts where Magic gets womanized. Also man, 3 full episodes out of 10 and the 79-80 season hasn't even started?
    But don’t forget it’s how the Showtime Lakers started it’s important to get origin stories for the main cast Magic Buss Riley West those are the ones I credit most for Showtime even if Kareem was a greater player historically than Magic. Also glad they gave Coach McKinney his credit how many lessor shows would have glossed over it was His offense that westhead copied and Riley did too …
    Magic and Buss womanizing gonna get the main credit but lots of nuggets dropped if you pay attention.
    Also heard when we get to summer league they had their exact uniforms from SL 1980 remade

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    0/10

Brody can act way til he transforms ti slick hair Tikes probably not til next season
    LoL chick Hearn saying Riley got a fruity and gy voice thought some if you Neanderthals would get a kick how anti PC this show is. Women, Christians, Jews, GAys blacks, liberals conservatives all have taken direct or indirect bullets.
    I love a show that throws darts at ever color class and creed.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But don’t forget it’s how the Showtime Lakers started it’s important to get origin stories for the main cast Magic Buss Riley West those are the ones I credit most for Showtime even if Kareem was a greater player historically than Magic. Also glad they gave Coach McKinney his credit how many lessor shows would have glossed over it was His offense that westhead copied and Riley did too …
    Magic and Buss womanizing gonna get the main credit but lots of nuggets dropped if you pay attention.
    Also heard when we get to summer league they had their exact uniforms from SL 1980 remade
    Never knew the story of McKinney, damn Lakers might have won more than 5 with him there if he was really the X's and O's of that 77 Blazers le team that was a bunch of spare parts around Walton. Especially with Magic being the same kind of elevate the out of everyone else teammate that Prime Walton was.

Kind of makes me question the out of Kareem and wonder if he's overrated looking at how the Blazers swept him and how wildly underwhelming Kareem's pre-Magic Lakers career was. It's not like he was on an island, he had a still solid Gail Goodrich in 75-76 and Adrian Dantley + Norm Nixon in 77-78 and 78-79 plus Jamaal Wilkes in 78-79. Plus Kareem was below .500 in Milwaukee too after Oscar retired. While Magic's two years post Kareem the team was still elite. Think you gotta take Magic over Kareem for better player historically.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Saw the first couple of episodes. Having fun watching John C in this role. I'm ready to see some basketball being played tho

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never knew the story of McKinney, damn Lakers might have won more than 5 with him there if he was really the X's and O's of that 77 Blazers le team that was a bunch of spare parts around Walton. Especially with Magic being the same kind of elevate the out of everyone else teammate that Prime Walton was.

Kind of makes me question the out of Kareem and wonder if he's overrated looking at how the Blazers swept him and how wildly underwhelming Kareem's pre-Magic Lakers career was. It's not like he was on an island, he had a still solid Gail Goodrich in 75-76 and Adrian Dantley + Norm Nixon in 77-78 and 78-79 plus Jamaal Wilkes in 78-79. Plus Kareem was below .500 in Milwaukee too after Oscar retired. While Magic's two years post Kareem the team was still elite. Think you gotta take Magic over Kareem for better player historically.
    To be fair the 1977 Lakers were ass

https://www.basketball-reference.com.../LAL/1977.html

Agreed on the other seasons though

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Bigs can’t win anything without a good backcourt (and ideally a dirty work big next to him).

Russell had Cousy, Kareem had oscar and magic. Hakeem had the backcourt that transformed the way people looked at three point shooting, shaq had penny and kobe, Duncan had manu and Parker. The only exception was pretty much Walton but only because the league was ass in those days and Walton can be that point to direct traffic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bigs can’t win anything without a good backcourt (and ideally a dirty work big next to him).

Russell had Cousy, Kareem had oscar and magic. Hakeem had the backcourt that transformed the way people looked at three point shooting, shaq had penny and kobe, Duncan had manu and Parker. The only exception was pretty much Walton but only because the league was ass in those days and Walton can be that point to direct traffic.
    Tim Duncan won a le with Avery Johnson and Mario Elie.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And David Robinson vs small Knicks

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And David Robinson vs small Knicks
    Beat the Lakers and Blazers too

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Brody can act way til he transforms ti slick hair Tikes probably not til next season
    LoL chick Hearn saying Riley got a fruity and gy voice thought some if you Neanderthals would get a kick how anti PC this show is. Women, Christians, Jews, GAys blacks, liberals conservatives all have taken direct or indirect bullets.
    I love a show that throws darts at ever color class and creed.
    Between Wests denigration and now the Riley gy reference, wonder if Riley and West are both are on the outs with Lakers Inc / Buss Inc?
    Have not found comments on the show from West or Riley -yet.

Did Chicks reference really happen?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never gets referenced but Kupcake did a super cheapshot on Chief Parrish earlier on in the 85 Finals.
    Chief not one to complain publicly. It rendered him about 60% the rest of the way.

McHale with the clothesline was a super cheapie too.
    However Rambis no where near = the loss of Chief. Plus Rambis was not injured on the play, thankfully.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Duncan > Kream

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Beat the Lakers and Blazers too
    yep

Just saying that yes. that backcourt wasn’t HOF material but in the paint Duncan had a DRob that was still in good condition so it makes up for the backcourt deficiencies

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Never gets referenced but Kupcake did a super cheapshot on Chief Parrish earlier on in the 85 Finals.
    Chief not one to complain publicly. It rendered him about 60% the rest of the way.

McHale with the clothesline was a super cheapie too.
    However Rambis no where near = the loss of Chief. Plus Rambis was not injured on the play, thankfully.
    lol Kupcake also picked a fight with Hakeem, pretty sure it was a desperate attempt by Riley to get Dream ejected
    They both got ejected but Rockets still won lol

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I can’t wait for the Spurs HBO show. The highlight will be Timmy shopping at Gap

to be fair they needed to show Magic’s son in this and how she came to be.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I can’t wait for the Spurs HBO show. The highlight will be Timmy shopping at Gap

to be fair they needed to show Magic’s son in this and how she came to be.
    Porker and Erin Barry too

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    lawl

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Rare exception him Hakeem Dirk won with less

Thread Information