Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is Dr. Day wanting to act like an agent for Magic true? Certainly during the shoe negotiations.
    Google isn't showing anything.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jerry Buss liquoring and whoring up the bankers is 100% believable.
    Even if that part was fabricated, no doubt in my mind Buss' MO when the MVPau for Kwame heist came down.

Grandma Buss really sit on the paperwork or was that entirely dramatized?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Brody looking more like Pat Riley the way he was standing and the gum chewing

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jerry Buss liquoring and whoring up the bankers is 100% believable.
    Even if that part was fabricated, no doubt in my mind Buss' MO when the MVPau for Kwame heist came down.

Grandma Buss really sit on the paperwork or was that entirely dramatized?
    Might as well just read the book. Library Genesis has it for free.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Might as well just read the book. Library Genesis has it for free.
    Is there one book that tells the truth?
    Or does it just get closer?
    Pretty sure the upcoming Jeanie Buss doc will be heavily tainted / ommissions.

And ics will be garbage propaganda per his MO.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Magic is like that, unselfish on the court yes but everything had to be about himself

Got his coach fired, backstabbed Isiah, got any he wanted, bailed out on the Lakers FO without notice, etc
    Reading the Showtime book, it sounded like Westhead had it coming. The author, Pearlman, says Westhead scrapped McKinney's offense and slowed it down to be focused on dumping it to Kareem in the post in 1980-81 and the players hated it. That the players were especially pissed playing this brand of basketball against the Rockets in the 81 playoffs because Kareem couldn't hang with Moses Malone on the block and they were playing right into the Rockets' strategy. Westhead claims he slowed it down because Magic hurt his knee but Pearlman says the new offense was implemented from the beginning of the season. Then Pearlman claims Bill Sharman and Jerry West were pissed that Westhead wanted a ballhogging Mike McGee with their 81 draft pick while West and Sharman badly wanted Larry Nance. Then Westhead got Buss to sign Mitch Kupchack's scrub ass for $800k a year back when Kareem was making ~$650k.

Westhead's lackluster pro career after the Lakers leads me to believe Pearlman's side more than his. That he was fired for being a ty coach and not some victim of an unjustified mutiny.

Also LOL Kareem, did that guy ever disappoint every time he went against another top center in his time in LA. Got the broom from Walton in 77, got his teeth kicked in by Moses in 81 and 83, then went down in 5 to Olajuwon and a bunch of pipe hitters in 86. Abdul-Jabbar has to be the most overrated player in NBA history.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Reading the Showtime book, it sounded like Westhead had it coming. The author, Pearlman, says Westhead scrapped McKinney's offense and slowed it down to be focused on dumping it to Kareem in the post in 1980-81 and the players hated it. That the players were especially pissed playing this brand of basketball against the Rockets in the 81 playoffs because Kareem couldn't hang with Moses Malone on the block and they were playing right into the Rockets' strategy. Westhead claims he slowed it down because Magic hurt his knee but Pearlman says the new offense was implemented from the beginning of the season. Then Pearlman claims Bill Sharman and Jerry West were pissed that Westhead wanted a ballhogging Mike McGee with their 81 draft pick while West and Sharman badly wanted Larry Nance. Then Westhead got Buss to sign Mitch Kupchack's scrub ass for $800k a year back when Kareem was making ~$650k.

Westhead's lackluster pro career after the Lakers leads me to believe Pearlman's side more than his. That he was fired for being a ty coach and not some victim of an unjustified mutiny.

Also LOL Kareem, did that guy ever disappoint every time he went against another top center in his time in LA. Got the broom from Walton in 77, got his teeth kicked in by Moses in 81 and 83, then went down in 5 to Olajuwon and a bunch of pipe hitters in 86. Abdul-Jabbar has to be the most overrated player in NBA history.
    I have to read the book, but did the players or the FO talk to Westhead about it before firing him?
    Because we all know Magic went to Buss ing with his “him or me” tactic.
    But giving mote money to Cupcake vs Kareem

And yes Kareem got his ass handed to him by all the other HOF centers

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have to read the book, but did the players or the FO talk to Westhead about it before firing him?
    Because we all know Magic went to Buss ing with his “him or me” tactic.
    But giving mote money to Cupcake vs Kareem

And yes Kareem got his ass handed to him by all the other HOF centers
    Seriously, my biggest Kupchack memory is him starting a fight with Olajuwon in Game 5 of the 86 WCF to get Akeem ejected out of the game. And still lost anyways.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Reading the Showtime book, it sounded like Westhead had it coming.

Also LOL Kareem,
    Sound like a good summary here too?:
    Paul Westhead's Vanishing Wasn't Done by 'Magic' - The Washington Post

Broody Kream: Don't forget to add Robert Parish in 84 including the clutch Game 7 steal. Huge reason (IMO) Celts derailed in 1985 was Kupchaks super cheat shot injuring Parrish. Lefty saw it and can testify.
    Lakers did play much better in 85 tho.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Seriously, my biggest Kupchack memory is him starting a fight with Olajuwon in Game 5 of the 86 WCF to get Akeem ejected out of the game. And still lost anyways.
    Lol I’m sure Riley was behind that fight, he knew it would result in an uneven ejection

Desperate move down 3-1 imo

Not surprisingly, Riley’s Heat started a brawl down 3-1-vs NY in 1997

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    now I want to read the Showtime book by Jeff Pearlman
    Yeah that part was known ….
    Is the truth out there in book form?
    Any book(s) other then Showtime you have read or know have accuracy?

https://assets-cms.thescore.com/uplo...?ts=1558374087

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    While Magic claims he won't watch Winning Time (and none of us believe that).....

EJ Johnson Steals the Show in Silver Gown as He Hits Dad Magic Johnson's Doc Premiere with Family (msn.com)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But how did Magic get the AIDS?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    But how did Magic get the AIDS?
    Wasn't a drug user and caught it long after transfusions started screening for HIV, pretty much leaving only one way.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Wasn't a drug user and caught it long after transfusions started screening for HIV, pretty much leaving only one way.
    The wazoo?

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Love the way they portrayed Bird as a no nonsense killer
    Last edited by Killakobe81; 04-17-2022 at 11:15 PM.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    And the garden as a hole

My Team
    Minnesota T'Wolves
    Post Count
    Prefer fat burger too used to them in SA they finally opened two spots in DFW …
    But in n out and fat burger are appples to oranges fat is more like a restaurant style burger in n out is closer to fast food fat is more like a Red Robin Fuve guys or Johnny rocket’s stylistic wise and pricing
    I've never ate at a fatburger but never got the infatuation with In n out. Medoicre at best, is it a thing like people enjoy the food more when there hungry? I have a thing for White Castle but that's just because its a greasy ty little burger when a guy is starving......

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    And the garden as a hole
    ing disgraceful the way Boston treated Russell and his teams too. No one gave a because the team was too black, but all of a sudden when Cowens, Havlicek, Bird, and McHale are the faces of the franchise Boston Garden becomes this great home crowd? I remember hearing Russell saying he never played for Boston, he played for the Celtics. It's funny that Boston fan always wonders why Russell never enjoyed coming back and moved the to Seattle as soon as he could when Boston fan only started giving a once the Celtics started becoming white.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    I've never ate at a fatburger but never got the infatuation with In n out. Medoicre at best, is it a thing like people enjoy the food more when there hungry? I have a thing for White Castle but that's just because its a greasy ty little burger when a guy is starving......
    Couple things before the big brand fast food places were open late in n out was ….
    Was great for after a high school football or basketball game … also great after a movie date a bar night etc.
    The other thing it had was all fresh ingredients - you can taste it in the bread veggies and beef it was never frozen
    So I and plenty of Californians appreciate that a lot more than the people I know in Texas who prefer large parties.
    Also cost is decent it’s gone up but it was one of the better cheap food options that and El pollo loco were my staples.
    Fat burger tastes better but it is more restaurant caliber in price and taste and time to cook

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    ing disgraceful the way Boston treated Russell and his teams too. No one gave a because the team was too black, but all of a sudden when Cowens, Havlicek, Bird, and McHale are the faces of the franchise Boston Garden becomes this great home crowd? I remember hearing Russell saying he never played for Boston, he played for the Celtics. It's funny that Boston fan always wonders why Russell never enjoyed coming back and moved the to Seattle as soon as he could when Boston fan only started giving a once the Celtics started becoming white.
    All facts then forever …
    I respect Bird …like Tatum… and udoka
    But the rest of the Celtics now and forever can eat a .

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Love the way they portrayed a no nonsense killer
    After reading the book the way this show just makes up for drama is getting annoying. There was no losing streak to Indiana and Detroit, the Lakers swept the season series with both of them. I actually watched the real game against the Celtics from January 1980 a few days ago and it was nothing like the way they portrayed it here, plus the score was 98-98 on that last possession and Nixon sank two free throws to win 100-98, not some buzzer beater by Cooper to win by 1. But the worst is how they portray Westhead. Westhead was 50-18 and pretty well liked by the team that season according the book this show is supposed to be based on. Westhead only pissed the players off the next season when he changed from McKinney's offense and got their ass sent home in Round 1 trying to make the series against Houston Kareem vs Moses.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All facts then forever …
    I respect Bird …like Tatum… and udoka
    But the rest of the Celtics now and forever can eat a .
    LOL I had a friend in school who told me a rat stole his hot dog when he was at a game in Boston Garden.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also the book makes it sound like Riley was pretty submissive to the players his first couple of years as head coach, much less starting off as Westhead's assistant.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Disagree, their burgers like Killa said were fresh back when every other fast food joint was frozen crap and they have pretty fresh tasting fries, you can see them making them out of fresh potatoes if you eat inside. Plus their shakes are killer while McDonalds, Whataburger, and all have these artificial ass shakes that taste like . The service is good too, I never get a burnt burger or a soggy bun or any low quality like that because they have been paying their workers well for decades so their workers give a about quality control. Whereas if I go to Whataburger it's a real crapshoot; eg their patty melt is great when it's fresh, but 2/3 of the time I get one it's on soggy ass bread and ing gross and reminds me why I don't go there much any more.

Thread Information