Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Are you talking about horseherb?

That's what I have in the shaded parts of the front and back of my house. Looks nice when it rains and survives any droughts. Idk why people try to kill it off so they can have a high maintenance St Augustine lawn.

Same here man. You don't get nice grass in Texas or the deep south so you have to choose between St Augustine which is butt ugly or Bermuda which is less ugly but still ugly. I'd go with that natural stuff.

In Michigan the plant hardiness is much higher so you get much nicer grass species like bluegrass, without the ugly runners/stolons.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Are you talking about horseherb?

That's what I have in the shaded parts of the front and back of my house. Looks nice when it rains and survives any droughts. Idk why people try to kill it off so they can have a high maintenance St Augustine lawn.
    Dude...it's ing BigAg wanting to limit your choices. And once you pick one of their choices, you're going to pay up every year to kill the weeds that thrive with your two choices and fertilize the you have.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs

Same here man. You don't get nice grass in Texas or the deep south so you have to choose between St Augustine which is butt ugly or Bermuda which is less ugly but still ugly. I'd go with that natural stuff.

In Michigan the plant hardiness is much higher so you get much nicer grass species like bluegrass, without the ugly runners/stolons.
    I grew up in East Texas with St. Augustine and it was awesome. Maybe the nicest grass to walk on with bare feet. When we moved to the DFW area, the house we bought had St. Augustine. It was the only house in the neighborhood that had it. And we pretty quickly learned why. There was another grass that thrived called, "Dallas Grass", and it grew quicker. We could never control it. So we ripped up all the St. Augustine and sodded with Bermuda (can't remember the exact type) but it was pretty nice as well. I wouldn't call either, "ugly" when you're keeping a lawn in the city.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    It's a weird deal though. You take a hike and see some piece of land covered with various types of grass, "weeds", and wildflowers, and it's beautiful. But if you let your lawn look the same, it's ugly. Is this BigHOA and BigAg?

I cannot grok its fullnes leemajors's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Dude...it's ing BigAg wanting to limit your choices. And once you pick one of their choices, you're going to pay up every year to kill the weeds that thrive with your two choices and fertilize the you have.
    There are companies like Sunday who can tailor soil additives and natural fertilizers, but you can usually just use compost tea and blackstrap molasses and your lawn will look great as long as you don't cut it too short, St Augustine or not. The molasses also keeps fire ants out.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    There are companies like Sunday who can tailor soil additives and natural fertilizers, but you can usually just use compost tea and blackstrap molasses and your lawn will look great as long as you don't cut it too short, St Augustine or not. The molasses also keeps fire ants out.
    That's good to know.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    I grew up in East Texas with St. Augustine and it was awesome. Maybe the nicest grass to walk on with bare feet. When we moved to the DFW area, the house we bought had St. Augustine. It was the only house in the neighborhood that had it. And we pretty quickly learned why. There was another grass that thrived called, "Dallas Grass", and it grew quicker. We could never control it. So we ripped up all the St. Augustine and sodded with Bermuda (can't remember the exact type) but it was pretty nice as well. I wouldn't call either, "ugly" when you're keeping a lawn in the city.
    You've obviously never set foot on a nice sunny 70-75 degree high day in June on Kentucky bluegrass or Michigan grass.

The main thing that's obnoxious about the St. Augustine grass is the butt ugly runners. They're super visible on the edges of lawns, when it's dry for awhile, or after mowing the lawns.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    It's a weird deal though. You take a hike and see some piece of land covered with various types of grass, "weeds", and wildflowers, and it's beautiful. But if you let your lawn look the same, it's ugly. Is this BigHOA and BigAg?
    It's called Texas / the South. Go up to Colorado Springs or Denver and they have gorgeous supple dark green grass up there. The upper Midwest has nice grass as well as the Northeast US for the most part.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    ing : 105 Sunday, 107 Monday, 106 Tuesday, 104 Wednesday

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    ing : 105 Sunday, 107 Monday, 106 Tuesday, 104 Wednesday
    Yup. This year's a 3rd-straight-year-La Niña, which is VERY rare in meteorology. It's going to shatter the all time average heat record for the May to September period for most of Texas. Also you can count on graduated stage water restrictions and a lot of random fires.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Ugh this neverending heat wave blows. 104 with a 65 degree dewpoint is .

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Ugh this neverending heat wave blows. 104 with a 65 degree dewpoint is .
    It's 57 and overcast where I am in West Michigan

Also I set my AC back in San Antonio on 84 degrees so it won't completely jack up the power bill while I'm gone.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    It's 57 and overcast where I am in West Michigan

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Had a break today, only got to 99. Supposed to be around 105-106 this weekend though blech.

Veteran
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Well it's a little toasty today

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Well it's a little toasty today

Will be hotter tomorrow

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    So the heat dome is supposed to move east but did it have a kid it's leaving behind or something? Because we're pretty much at or above 100 for the rest of the month according to forecasts when we're should be in the low 90s this time of year.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Currently in Aurora, Colorado for this week. With family. The nights are reasonably temperate (lows in the upper 50s) but the days are in the 90s. Will get a bit of a reprieve middle of this week and only highs in the upper 80s. Spent most of the weekend in Omaha and jeezus it was hot as there like 100+ with oppressive humidity. But I will be camping at least one night in the mountains at Rocky Mountain National Park and I'll also be climbing Mt Elbert this week at some point so I'll get a little splash of June cool weather before driving back down into the oven and baking with you guys.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    So the heat dome is supposed to move east but did it have a kid it's leaving behind or something? Because we're pretty much at or above 100 for the rest of the month according to forecasts when we're should be in the low 90s this time of year.
    3rd-year-in-a-row La Niña year at work. It's an exceptionally rare meteorological event that hasn't occurred in 118 years.

It's a completely natural event caused by the deficits in the Pacific Decadal Oscillation. Not attributable to global warming (man-made or otherwise) as this type of event actually has a net cooling effect on the earth compared to, say, El Niño events.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    Currently in Aurora, Colorado for this week. With family. The nights are reasonably temperate (lows in the upper 50s) but the days are in the 90s. Will get a bit of a reprieve middle of this week and only highs in the upper 80s. Spent most of the weekend in Omaha and jeezus it was hot as there like 100+ with oppressive humidity. But I will be camping at least one night in the mountains at Rocky Mountain National Park and I'll also be climbing Mt Elbert this week at some point so I'll get a little splash of June cool weather before driving back down into the oven and baking with you guys.
    Looking at the weather in Omaha right now, temp / dew point is 91/66, which is lower dewpoint than when it was 91 here yesterday when dew point was in the low 70s and finally dropped to 60 once it got to 105.

Name
    Andrew
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    North Texas Mean Green
    Looking at the weather in Omaha right now, temp / dew point is 91/66, which is lower dewpoint than when it was 91 here yesterday when dew point was in the low 70s and finally dropped to 60 once it got to 105.
    Yeah it's expected to get over 100 in Nebraska today plus some cloud cover and high humidity. Good thing I booked it west out of dodge just in time. Colorado's (Denver Metro) weather is too hot for me right now but I'm looking forward to spending some time in the mountains and seeing what nature has to offer me there.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    So this ing heat dome is moving back to us by Thursday or Friday? The 98 today feels like 85 after getting used to days of 105.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    So this ing heat dome is moving back to us by Thursday or Friday? The 98 today feels like 85 after getting used to days of 105.
    We've got 98 tomorrow and then at least 13 days of 100+. What a beating.

Watching the collapse benefactor's Avatar
    Name
    benefactor
    Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    Texas Longhorns
    Here it's going to get over 100 on Thurs and stay there for at least a week.

Post Count
    NBA Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    College
    UCLA Bruins
    We've got 98 tomorrow and then at least 13 days of 100+. What a beating.
    Feels like it's going to be 100+ until ing October this year

Thread Information