Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why I'd probably say no on a referendum about vouchers. I don't mind religion - but I also don't want to subsidize it, which seems like the real intention here, the more I read and ponder.

Want a hand up to get your kid into a better school? yes.

Want a hand out so your kid can learn about the Bible? no.
    I'd be cool with including the Bible in curriculum as a work of literature and teaching kids Greek, Latin, Hebrew and modes of interpretation. The Bible without any doubt is a major, world historical literary narrative.

But if we did that, radical Republicans would probably start burning down schools.
    Last edited by Winehole23; 11-29-2023 at 10:12 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What they're trying to do now is the administrative equivalent of burning them down, tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    4th special session adjourns.

The Texas lege gave itself power to enforce international immigration and gave state LEOs power to demand proof of citizenship and deport anyone failing to satisfy them, without a hearing.

School vouchers lost again.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    unless a court stays enforcement of SB 4, Texas deporting legit US citizens is a matter of when, not if

Since March 2021, the government of the state of Texas, led by Governor Greg Abbott, has allocated $10 billion to “Operation Lone Star,” which Abbott calls a “border security” initiative designed to stem the flow of undo ented immigrants into the state. The money has had no discernible effect on immigration, undo ented or otherwise, and has mainly been used in the service of human rights violations, such as turning the Rio Grande into a moat designed to maim people seeking to migrate to this country.

Texas voters, a majority of them anyway, seem to be cool with this gigantic waste of taxpayer funds. The public support for this ongoing boondoggle only really makes sense in the context of racism. I don’t mean that flippantly. You can’t spend $10 billion on something that doesn’t work and experience no public outcry, political consequences, or epic memes dunking on the effort unless the point of the wasted money was to harass ethnic minorities. If you spend $10 billion on a monorail that goes nowhere, citizens notice and try to vote the politicians who approved it out of office. But if you spend the money to stop immigrants, and all you end up with is a few drowned minorities and generalized racial harassment, apparently the public claps along and asks for more.

And so, Texas and Abbott are giving their morally stunted voters more of what they want: racism. This time, the wished-for racism and harassment is in the form of new legislation Abbott signed into law this week. Senate Bill 4 (SB 4) makes undo ented immigration a state crime in Texas and authorizes state troopers and cops to arrest undo ented immigrants. How can they tell if a person is an “illegal immigrant” versus just a brown person walking down the street in Dallas? That’s the fun part (for racists): they can’t. SB 4 lets the police round up anybody they “suspect” of being an undo ented immigrant, then it’s up to the undo ented immigrant (or do ented immigrant or random brown person the cops hauled off the street) to prove to a judge that they are in-status.

As troubling, the Texas law doesn’t treat asylum-seekers as “legal” residents, thus making them eligible for arrest under its new racial profiling regime. That is a violation of international human rights standards, but I guess there are scores of American politicians who would be brought up on charges in The Hague if INTERPOL ever decided to hold American rulers to the same standards it holds the ruling junta of any non-European nation that lacks nuclear weapons.
    Once arrested, if the brown person in question can’t prove their status to the satisfaction of a random local judge, they can “voluntarily” agree to be deported to Mexico, or they can be jailed for six months. Repeat offenders can be charged with a felony and sentenced to anywhere between two and 20 years in prison. What if the person is not from Mexico, or is not Mexican? That’s also the fun part (for racists): It doesn’t matter. People who cannot prove their legal status will be jailed or deported back to Mexico, whether they’re Mexican or not.
    https://www.thenation.com/article/ar...ons utional/

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Abbott held public schools hostage to the lofty public aim of subsidizing private education for rich folks.

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Abbott held public schools hostage to the lofty public aim of subsidizing private education for rich folks.

o, he's in a wheelchair, don't you know, fart -face.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So 2009.

Nutty then, nutty now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How is the Sharia law scare progressing today?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Paxton isn't contesting the facts of the whistleblower lawsuit. Those same facts were part of the basis for impeaching him. The Texas Lege covered his ass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Springer voted to acquit Paxton, fwiw.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Convenient for Springer to grow a pair now that he's retiring. I met the Senator when he was a freshman house member, one of the few members who would show up to our mixers thrown for staffers to get a buzz on after a long day at their ty, underpaid jobs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Paxton continues to lose

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    school vouchers for rich folks are already blowing up the Arizona state budget

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    school vouchers for rich folks are already blowing up the Arizona state budget

As your side is won't to say, Winestein..."Whatever it takes."

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    4th special session adjourns.

The Texas lege gave itself power to enforce international immigration and gave state LEOs power to demand proof of citizenship and deport anyone failing to satisfy them, without a hearing.

School vouchers lost again.

I thought this was an ok summation. No one else even tried.

Local politics isn't even local. It mostly isn't noticed, I think.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Establishing and maintaining a system of robust, universal public education in Texas is also a cons utional requirement going back to the 19th century.

But that doesn't count for much for today's radical Republicans.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still relevant

Deputizes peace officers to deport people.

What could go wrong?

https://capitol.texas.gov/BillLookup...s=883&Bill=HB4

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Texas has been controlled by a Republican trifecta for about thirty years, but Republicans are still blaming Democrats for bad government.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This will devastate Texas college (NFL too) football as these rural areas are the biggest source of 300-400 pound defensive/offensive linemen and most private schools do not have football programs.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    This will devastate Texas college (NFL too) football as these rural areas are the biggest source of 300-400 pound defensive/offensive linemen and most private schools do not have football programs.
    After over a 100 years of stealing this talent the NFL will have to pay these men with real money vs. room, board and goody bags.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wrecking public schools is an already out there Republican preference in North Texas.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Wrecking public schools is an already out there Republican preference in North Texas.

Yes, and they should be destroyed, by hook, or, by crook. You know, Winestein, "whatever it takes." tee, hee.

Thread Information