Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    samanic not withstanding, of course.
    Right-o.

Thinking about this a bit more. The upcoming generation of US/Canadian NBA stars are guys who pretty much just drive at the rim and launch themselves into defenders, generating a lot of calls for themselves. It's basically an environment where they just score one-on-one and get bailed out when they fail. SGA and Morant are big on this scale.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    samanic not withstanding, of course.
    You always have some burnouts, and he's the grotesque exception.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Right-o.

Thinking about this a bit more. The upcoming generation of US/Canadian NBA stars are guys who pretty much just drive at the rim and launch themselves into defenders, generating a lot of calls for themselves. It's basically an environment where they just score one-on-one and get bailed out when they fail. SGA and Morant are big on this scale.
    A guy trying to drive eventually kicking out to a guy trying to drive eventually kicking out to a guy lauching a corner 3... Wash, rinse, repeat

near awake, semi-coherent
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You always have some burnouts, and he's the grotesque exception.
    I really don't think samanic's issue was a lack of ability but a lack of desire, he just never really seemed to decide that he wasn't en led to automatically be a starter getting 15 to 25 minutes a game in the NBA. He seems to decide that he was good, and that he was going to play when he felt like playing and Spurs could take or leave him as he is. He got a few nice paydays out of it, got to experience Texas and New York as a resident pro athlete which is a really badass place to be in life, and got to visit most of the cities in the US that you would want to as a member of an NBA team. Now he's going to go back to Europe play for a second tier club team there getting paid pretty well as a former NBA player, and then be a second rate has been celebrity in his country for the remainder of his life. It's really really not a bad gig.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember reading an article way before we drafted him saying his favorite thing was break dancing and I was like I don’t think Spurs will draft him

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I remember reading an article way before we drafted him saying his favorite thing was break dancing and I was like I don’t think Spurs will draft him
    Sandro Mamu or Samanic?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sandro Mamu or Samanic?
    We didn’t draft Sandro.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We didn’t draft Sandro.
    And you do realize, well you don't, that he was responding to the post above his. Lmao

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sandro Mamu or Samanic?
    We didn’t draft Sandro.
    Maybe this will make it a little clearer, calftats. I know you’re a bit slow, and sometimes need an assist.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sandro Mamu or Samanic?
    You're kidding right ? Mamu has show more in the month or so that he's been here than Sammich ever did in 2 plus years. I would bet that Mamu will be on some NBA team's roster next year while Luka will still be in the G league or on some middling Euro team at best.

The spurs blew the Luka pick but maybe they can make up for it by signing Mamu for next year. Luka flashed potential, but Mamu has the talent and that's what really counts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I love this guy.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Watched one video he talked about how he played PG in Europe growing up he mentioned they don't care how tall you are they teach everyone the same and they realized he had good handles so he played that position. He also mentioned when he played in Italy he played as a guard and then when he came to states he was moved PF/C

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This guy has to stay a Spur, right? I mean, even his deficiencies aren't that horrible because he hustles his ass off. He duplicates a lot of what Sochan will do as a starter in bringing the ball up quickly, facilitating from the PF position. Not a shot blocker, but he gets boards. Just a fun player to have.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still say Sandro Mamukalashvili reminds me of a Bonner Baynes love child

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bonner almost exclusively played as a spot up C and barely had the ball in his hands, while Baynes was a bruiser and mostly stayed in the paint. Not sure how you are getting this comparison.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Baynes did a good bit of being a bruiser but had a good face up jump shot for someone in that role about 3 times per game you saw him settle to an elbow or top of the straight 3. He expanded that more when he was with Detroit and Boston but it was there with us. Did he ever make it back after his Olympics back injury? That was scary.

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From the admittedly little I've seen of Mamu, I would compare him most to Diaw in terms of his role. Obviously not nearly as skilled but both provide value as facilitators.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He shoots from range like Bonner and his size and frame are reminiscent of baynes

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Very pleasant surprise in an otherwise ty season

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Don't know about that but I know it's still Mamukelashvili.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What I want for Mamu to work on this off-season is finishing in the rim. He seems hurried sometimes and settles for an ackward layup, granted he draws fouks and trips to the line. But he needs to change those ackward layups with strong move to the basket and maybe get and1’s instead. I think he could slow down a bit sometimes, I just think he could assess better, or draw a smaller defender on a switch. But I’m sure the coaching staffs have evaluated and Mamu would be willing to adjust. I’m excited to see the finish product.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    damn I actually like the (poor man's) Bobo comparisons (within reason) better anyway. Feels more accurate.

Just caught an initial vibe of similarities more in broader style and appearance than direct positional alignment or more comprehensive, fully identical skillset comps with Bonner/Baynes but I'll walk back my post, good points all. and taken under review.

and thanks JPB, I tried so hard to get that right and still misspelled his name which is super embarrassing lol. I'll just stick to Mamu for now, Jesus yikes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Mamu reminds me of David Lee.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I like Mamu a lot as a backup 4, even more so in a scenario where we land Wemby, gives us a nice rotation of Wemby, Sochan (who I assume moves to SF) and Mamu eating all those PF minutes leaving no room for McD or KBD playing there.

Thread Information