Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously, I’m pretty jealous of the lottery fortune of the Spurs, especially since we had the same odds and slid to 5th. But, yeah organizationally, even though it’s been decades, to have this type of luck three times with generational talent for the #1 pick definitely sucks for non Spurs fans. Congratulations, but quite honestly, I say that insincerely.

The one hater comment I’ll make about it (other than the injury risks that have already been mentioned) is that I do think it might be unfortunate for Wemby that Pop will be his coach. I say that because Pop is 74, and he doesn’t appear like he’ll want to relinquish his coaching gig now that he has another David Robinson, Tim Duncan potential type of talent. I think he’s going to Jim Boeheim the Spurs well into his mid 80s now. A 60 year old Pop would be perfect for his last decade plus run with Wemby. A 74 year old Pop going into his 80s with his priorities likely in a different place than 15 years ago may not be the best situation for the kid... potentially anyway.

Didn’t Pop say or suggest that he would be done once LMA’s time with the Spurs was over? I vaguely recall reading something along those lines. Pop may be rejuvenated over this. But how much of a grind is he willing to put in the next decade plus at his age? And when he can’t do the kid justice with his coaching, will he be willing to step down?

And sure, that’s just me mostly just hating on losing out on the the chance to see him with my team.
    I don't share your concerns about Pop tbh... a seasoned coach like Pop is exactly what Victor need for his development. Pop is not going to rush him and will be patient, a younger coach would feel the pressure and tear him down with heavy minutes trying to keep his job. Pop does not give a at this point, I trust him to do the right thing. As a French I'm so ing relieved he ended up with the Spurs and as a Spur fan I'm obviously thrilled.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, I love to see folks excited but damn this group shifts directions like the wind. Let's make sure the kid can hold up to the rigors of an 82 game schedule before we proclaim the next dynasty. I'm hoping for 30 wins next year.
    Next year will probably be a transition year with a roster trying to win games with 20 mpg Victor but missing the POs by a mile. Maybe 30 wins is a good number

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    Counterpoint.

A seasoned coach is one thing. A 74 year old coach who checked out the last four seasons is another. 74.

Phil Jackson was 65 when he last coached in the NBA. Larry Brown was around 70 when he was done in Charlotte, and he already lost a lot of luster with his Knicks stint and that was in his mid 60s. Good old Don Nelson was 70 when Golden State told him he was too old. Pop is 74. And you heard the criticisms from Dejounte. We’ve all read the criticisms the last several years by Spurs fans themselves on these boards. How he’s lost it. How he’s more concerned with social justice and red wine. How he keeps drafting 6’5 guards every year. The last four seasons, the Spurs have ranked 28th, 30th, 25th, and 20th in 3PA. And they were 28th in 3P attempts when they were ranked 4th in 3P%. How has Pop continued to adapt and evolve with the game? Who is the last prospect he’s developed well? Dejounte’s play in ATL makes it seems like Pop held him back more than anything.

All the Spurs fans have been complaining about the last four seasons, but now he’s the perfect 74 year old, seasoned coach for a 19 year old future superstar?

Riiiiiiight.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Counterpoint.

A seasoned coach is one thing. A 74 year old coach who checked out the last four seasons is another. 74.

Phil Jackson was 65 when he last coached in the NBA. Larry Brown was around 70 when he was done in Charlotte, and he already lost a lot of luster with his Knicks stint and that was in his mid 60s. Good old Don Nelson was 70 when Golden State told him he was too old. Pop is 74. And you heard the criticisms from Dejounte. We’ve all read the criticisms the last several years by Spurs fans themselves on these boards. How he’s lost it. How he’s more concerned with social justice and red wine. How he keeps drafting 6’5 guards every year. The last four seasons, the Spurs have ranked 28th, 30th, 25th, and 20th in 3PA. And they were 28th in 3P attempts when they were ranked 4th in 3P%. How has Pop continued to adapt and evolve with the game? Who is the last prospect he’s developed well? Dejounte’s play in ATL makes it seems like Pop held him back more than anything.

All the Spurs fans have been complaining about the last four seasons, but now he’s the perfect 74 year old, seasoned coach for a 19 year old future superstar?

Riiiiiiight.
    You weren't paying attention this season, tbh. Most Spurs fans were pretty happy how Pop managed the squad this season. Tanking aside, he played the guys he had to play and had them competing hard and playing the right way despite the awful record. The season pretty much went as any Spur fan wanted: bottom 3 record but playing compe ive basket and the young prospects showing improvement.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Counterpoint.

Riiiiiiight.
    There are legit concerns about Pop's age and his inability to evolve the game, but I am more concerned about the inability to have any type of defensive improvements over the last few years. The Spurs DRtg last year was historically bad. The year before, they ranked 16th in the league, 17th in 21, and 25th in 20. This is just disgustingly bad.

As for the 3 pt shooting, I can't blame this too heavily on Pop's coaching. He had DeRozen and Aldridge for a few of those years, last year, most players are bad shooters. You can say that Pop the GM failed to get the right parts, but the roster just do not call for good 3 pt shooting.

Finally, Dejounte, if anything proved that Pop did NOT hold him back with his play in Atl. Murray, shot worse, shot less, had less FTs, less rebounds, assists, steals, and points last year than in his last year on the Spurs. His WS was lower, his VORP was lower, his OBPM and DBPM were all down, in fact, his advanced stats were down across the board other than his TS% and 3PAr. He was a clearly worse player in ATL than in SA, and I would argue significantly so.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There are legit concerns about Pop's age and his inability to evolve the game, but I am more concerned about the inability to have any type of defensive improvements over the last few years. The Spurs DRtg last year was historically bad. The year before, they ranked 16th in the league, 17th in 21, and 25th in 20. This is just disgustingly bad.
    The defense has been disgustingly bad since at least 2008 or so.... no, that's not a typo.

Pop definitely pivoted around that time for the worse. It's like he had some sort of D'Antoni stockholm syndrome even though we whipped their butts in the playoffs every time.

Pop was the best coach in the NBA from about 1999 to 2007. Better than Phil Jackson who was more of a product of his players than the inverse. Pop preached defense, tenacity, playing physical and kick-ass, responsible basketball. We would consistently hold teams under 100, even 90, even 80 a large percentage of the time. We shortened the game by taking advantage of our halfcourt offense strengths and bleeding the shot clock down and getting back in transition so the other team could scarcely turn the games into a track meet.

But something about him and his personality just went "woke" - not necessarily just in a political sense, but in a basketball sense around 2008. Why the would the coach of arguably the best defensive team go woke and progressive and embrace skittleball, i.e. "run and gun" - I have no idea. It's not even basketball to me. It's kind of cute when 2 out of 29 or 30 teams are doing it. When almost all or all 30 teams are, it's a washed up product. It's part of the reason I kind of held a torch for the "Grit N Grind" Grizzlies because they played authentic Spurs / Pistons style of basketball from about 2010 through 2015, even though they didn't win a championship and they beat us once in the playoffs. They were fun to watch because Gasol and Zeebo in the paint reminded me of the golden era of the Spurs with the twin towers. Tony Allen, though generally terrible on offense, was an absolute dawg. They were a thorn in OKC's side for a long time because they were physical and OKC was uber finesse, even if OKC did scrape by them in the playoffs more often than not. (In the '00s, OKC would have not gotten past Memphis because the refs let them play back then.)

To me, the Spurs-Nets, Spurs-Pistons style of basketball that I grew up with ... was.... basketball. Today's NBA is not basketball. Something needs to change. I hate D'Antoni, Stef Curry, and analytics so much.

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    to add on to my point, the Adam Silver regime has been a huge net negative for the game... say what you want about David Stern and the Italian mob legion of referees era, but, basketball was good in that regime.

Silver has just gone full jew... Never go full jew. The ads on jerseys are just fugly and putrid and look like that trash from foreign povertyball. The 8 different jerseys and home courts for each team. The erosion and destruction of traditions like home whites and away colors, especially being mandatory in the playoffs. The erosion of the importance of winning your division in the NBA, which started in the summer of '06 under Stern but wasn't competely eroded until the Silver regime. (To be fair, Stern should have kept 2 divisions in each conference and had either 28 or 32 teams... three just doesn't work from a mathematical sense, unless your plan is to expand from 82 games to 86, which would also pose a problem. The NFL, say what you want about Goodell but he has fiercely said no to 'woke' calls for division champion rights to be eradicated, no ads on jerseys, and major props to him for preserving tradition in that sense. However, adding a 17th game but not an 18th is mind numbingly stupid on the NFL's part.)

Under the Silver regime, there has been way too heavy of an emphasis on scoring with no fair recourse for the other side of the ball. Hard to breathe on someone without getting whistled for the foul. Lowering the shot clock from 24 to 14 seconds after every offensive rebound is mind-numbingly stupid and artificially inflates statistics. The only time I could even see that rule change making sense is if it was implemented in the last minute of the game, so teams with slim leads didn't get an enormous advantage with 1 offensive rebound, but even then I still would support keeping the "fresh 24" rule in tact. And the 2020 bubble tournament in Florida never needed to happen. Just make it like the 1994 MLB baseball season where there was no winner due to an unexpected extenuating interruption.

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    The defense has been disgustingly bad since at least 2008 or so.... no, that's not a typo.

Pop definitely pivoted around that time for the worse. It's like he had some sort of D'Antoni stockholm syndrome even though we whipped their butts in the playoffs every time.

Pop was the best coach in the NBA from about 1999 to 2007. Better than Phil Jackson who was more of a product of his players than the inverse. Pop preached defense, tenacity, playing physical and kick-ass, responsible basketball. We would consistently hold teams under 100, even 90, even 80 a large percentage of the time. We shortened the game by taking advantage of our halfcourt offense strengths and bleeding the shot clock down and getting back in transition so the other team could scarcely turn the games into a track meet.

But something about him and his personality just went "woke" - not necessarily just in a political sense, but in a basketball sense around 2008. Why the would the coach of arguably the best defensive team go woke and progressive and embrace skittleball, i.e. "run and gun" - I have no idea. It's not even basketball to me. It's kind of cute when 2 out of 29 or 30 teams are doing it. When almost all or all 30 teams are, it's a washed up product. It's part of the reason I kind of held a torch for the "Grit N Grind" Grizzlies because they played authentic Spurs / Pistons style of basketball from about 2010 through 2015, even though they didn't win a championship and they beat us once in the playoffs. They were fun to watch because Gasol and Zeebo in the paint reminded me of the golden era of the Spurs with the twin towers. Tony Allen, though generally terrible on offense, was an absolute dawg. They were a thorn in OKC's side for a long time because they were physical and OKC was uber finesse, even if OKC did scrape by them in the playoffs more often than not. (In the '00s, OKC would have not gotten past Memphis because the refs let them play back then.)

To me, the Spurs-Nets, Spurs-Pistons style of basketball that I grew up with ... was.... basketball. Today's NBA is not basketball. Something needs to change. I hate D'Antoni, Stef Curry, and analytics so much.
    Dumbest 'back in my day' post I've ever read.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Obviously, I’m pretty jealous of the lottery fortune of the Spurs, especially since we had the same odds and slid to 5th. But, yeah organizationally, even though it’s been decades, to have this type of luck three times with generational talent for the #1 pick definitely sucks for non Spurs fans. Congratulations, but quite honestly, I say that insincerely.

The one hater comment I’ll make about it (other than the injury risks that have already been mentioned) is that I do think it might be unfortunate for Wemby that Pop will be his coach. I say that because Pop is 74, and he doesn’t appear like he’ll want to relinquish his coaching gig now that he has another David Robinson, Tim Duncan potential type of talent. I think he’s going to Jim Boeheim the Spurs well into his mid 80s now. A 60 year old Pop would be perfect for his last decade plus run with Wemby. A 74 year old Pop going into his 80s with his priorities likely in a different place than 15 years ago may not be the best situation for the kid... potentially anyway.

Didn’t Pop say or suggest that he would be done once LMA’s time with the Spurs was over? I vaguely recall reading something along those lines. Pop may be rejuvenated over this. But how much of a grind is he willing to put in the next decade plus at his age? And when he can’t do the kid justice with his coaching, will he be willing to step down?

And sure, that’s just me mostly just hating on losing out on the the chance to see him with my team.
    I think everything changed when Pop's wife died. If she was still alive he would have probably retired three years ago.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Counterpoint.

Riiiiiiight.
    I disagree that he has checked out. He says this has been one of his most fulfilling years because he has so many young players he has to teach the game to. A lot of the Spurs fans complaints are just excuses to rag on him for talking against Trump, though a lot of complaints against him for ingame reactions people have had for 25 years with Pop.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Poopovich will find a wayto this up. Tbqh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wemby has so much legs, even his legs have legs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I disagree that he has checked out. He says this has been one of his most fulfilling years because he has so many young players he has to teach the game to. A lot of the Spurs fans complaints are just excuses to rag on him for talking against Trump, though a lot of complaints against him for ingame reactions people have had for 25 years with Pop.
    Eh, Pop has been mediocre at best since 5 tbh. That being said, I liked what I saw of him this past season and I agree having a young team to coach up has reinvigorated him.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Eh, Pop has been mediocre at best since 5 tbh. That being said, I liked what I saw of him this past season and I agree having a young team to coach up has reinvigorated him.
    I don't necessarily agree with that. From a coaching perspective, the Spurs have over achieved against expectations every year except the 22-23 season, where they were unashameably tanking. As a roster builder, there could be some qualms, but as a coach, he was solid the last few years given what we have.

Players like Keldon Johnson, Tre Jones, Vassell and Sochan have all developed nicely, even Branham is looking good. This is part of the coach.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count
    I'm happy. For him, the NBA and this forum

Safe landing spot for the kid. The Herd mentioned how the other viable destinations have been coaching turnstiles. Does a struggling franchise deserve a Duncan style anchor more? - Probably but this isn't the NFL. This League is and always will be the haves & have nots. Banchero is another great youngster but few in America know of him.

I also believe International fans will feel more connected knowing the groundwork Tony & Manu set.

I discovered the result on my phone hours later (on a date) and was surprised & happy for all parties involved.
    Last edited by FrostKing; 05-20-2023 at 03:15 AM.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Glad to see you're still around my dude
    I'm always lurking

My Team
    Toronto Raptors
    Post Count
    if spurms squeeze one le out of wemby before his ligaments fall apart that's a big win tbh

Spur needed multiple hall of famers to surround robinson, tim, and kiwi to win anything. right now they don't have that anywhere in sight, though
    The joke is on you, this was a tank job 5 years in the making which has allowed to team to cobble together role players for Kiwi’s return next summer.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    'Cause it's coming.
    Ralph Sampson 2.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm always lurking
    Was talking about Silver&Black tbh. I know you're never leaving this place.

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    spurs
    another #1 pick
    another generational big man
    being relevant again
    only tanking 1 season
    likely contenders in the near future
    continued excellence
    nba fans butthurt
    "it's rigged!"
    spurs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    WE STAAAAAAAACKED

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ralph Sampson 2.
    I certainly hope not

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Pop did say that. But then afterward when the old guard left Pop said the young crew was one of his favorite groups of guys he's ever coached so he decided to stay longer.

Pop is great, I would love it if he stayed for another 2-3 years and then handed over the reigns. Obviously at some point age becomes a factor with diminishing returns.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ralph Sampson 2.
    If history repeats itself, the next generational player will be a SG drafted 3rd next year.

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count

LFG #1

Epic

Thread Information