Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count
    tdays nba

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wiz got fleeced
    Disagree. CP0 is only guaranteed like $15 million. Beal's due $46.7M, $50.2M, $53.7M and $57.1M over the next four years and he's an even bigger China doll than CP0. Desperation move by Phoenix. Gonna be fun seeing that team in 2024-25 when Booker's deal jumps to $50 million a season.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Barkley to Houston
    Krause saved Jordan’s marketing legacy and super sensitive Jordan is stil’ salty about it a million years

Tim to Tony to Manu! bdictjames's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It would be crazy if Phoenix traded Ayton for.. let's say, a solid guard. I think Gabe Vincent would do great with this roster, I can't imagine the firepower.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another underachiever for the suns. With those 50 additional mil per season, i wonder how their cap situation is looking.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    beals contract is insane tbh. wizards should have moved on from him instead of giving him the supermax. its one of those things that simply wont, or shouldnt, happen anymore in the new cba.

phoenix didnt give up much, but still reeks of desperation to make this deal. once booker's supermax money kicks in next year, they'll have 150 per year dedicated to 3 guys, two of which have troubling injury history in recent years. if they keep ayton, those 4 guys alone will have them at or near the second apron.

wizards probably would have amnestied beal if they could. they accomplished that here without having to actually pay him the cash

My Team
    Chicago Bulls
    Post Count

He sounds really shocked and even offended.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    beals contract is insane tbh. wizards should have moved on from him instead of giving him the supermax. its one of those things that simply wont, or shouldnt, happen anymore in the new cba.

phoenix didnt give up much, but still reeks of desperation to make this deal. once booker's supermax money kicks in next year, they'll have 150 per year dedicated to 3 guys, two of which have troubling injury history in recent years. if they keep ayton, those 4 guys alone will have them at or near the second apron.

wizards probably would have amnestied beal if they could. they accomplished that here without having to actually pay him the cash
    Personally I would have kept Paul over trading for Beal. Especially with the new rule in the CBA that moves your first round pick to the very end the first round if you're a multi time second apron offender. Beal's contract would be an anchor even if he was in his prime much less the Poor Man's Kawhi he is now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Personally I would have kept Paul over trading for Beal. Especially with the new rule in the CBA that moves your first round pick to the very end the first round if you're a multi time second apron offender. Beal's contract would be an anchor even if he was in his prime much less the Poor Man's Kawhi he is now.
    id have kept paul over beal as well. but i guess phoenix decided they're gonna be over that apron anyway, may as well do it with 3 stars instead of 2

imo phoenix will regret the move, but washington did very poorly in the trade as well unless they can actually flip cp0 for something good

Heat/Phillies/NY Giants TIMMYtoZO's Avatar
    My Team
    Miami Heat
    Post Count
    So glad Miami dodged that bullet. I prefer Dame tbh.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    3 scorers, good idea

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So glad Miami dodged that bullet. I prefer Dame tbh.
    I'd prefer getting nothing to taking Beal's contract. That is suicide in the era of the second apron.

My Team
    Detroit Pistons
    Post Count
    The counter to that is even if they didn’t trade CP3, they’d still be over the cap, I believe still over the luxury tax if they re-signed their qualifying offers or tried to re-sign any of their free agents like Craig, Biyombo, Ross, Landale to contracts worth anything more than the vet min. So their cap flexibility was already shot for the next several years regardless. If they waived and stretched CP3, they’d still be over the cap and likely approaching the luxury tax without a practical way of replacing CP3 with a player anywhere close to the caliber of Beal, unless you think a taxpayer MLE player would be a better option. So for the next couple seasons, they really didn’t have much flexibility to make any significant moves anyway. And in order to try to fix their payroll situation to a point they could shape the roster with better balance and depth, it would have taken 2-3 years anyway, and you lose those years and KD is knocking on the door of 40.

You could argue they should have tried to trade CP3 and/or Ayton for multiple rotation caliber players to at least add depth to the roster (they still could potentially do that with Ayton). That might be a legit argument. The Suns were already screwed with their payroll anyway. They already had no first round picks to deal after the KD trade. And yes, they screwed themselves further. But they didn’t really have many options to improve the talent on the roster. And their payroll situation was already too much of a mess to realistically add any quality depth unless they acquired multiple second round draft picks and hit on them. The rest of roster was always going to be filled with mostly vet min guys. Taxpayer MLE is like $7M per. Biannual exception is like $4M per. Not all that much more than a vet min tbh. Getting Danuel House and Joe Ingles instead really going to be better than Brad Beal?

It’s a gamble, and based on a gambler’s fallacy. Keep throwing money on every bluff hand, you’ll eventually win one. Most people eventually run out of money. Ishbia has deeper pockets than most. But he didn’t really have other options to make a significant move to improve the team. Their payroll situation is going to get really ugly. But I actually understand why he still did it.

Thread Information