Page 28 of 35 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829303132 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A player not being able to shoot is a real problem. It's too easy to out-efficient a team that relies on twos -- even at-the-basket twos. Yes, great players warp rules around them, but if you dropped Magic or even Shaq in the modern game, they wouldn't have the same pull on the league than they would in their own times. Curry, Lillard and Harden bent the modern NBA, and it would be really hard for a guy who was a 19/5/11 guy to come in and redirect rules and styles to make up for the fact that it's way too easy for mid-tier players to keep up with his scoring. DMDR doesn't get the respect he deserves for being one of the best inside-the-arc perimeter players of his era, because the three is just so much more powerful and the league is far too scared to give that up. It's just too hard to tell how great player would do in eras they didn't build and without the benefit of the cache they earned.

What is much easier to tell is that there's negative reason to be talking about a player like Magic when considering Cissoko. This is why I keep talking about the Diaw comparison. No, this is not a superficial thing. Some people seem to be fundamentally misinterpreting what they were seeing on the floor, in my opinion. No, Sidy didn't show any type of primary play-making ability. Nothing he did should give anyone consideration that a team would be depending on him to run an offense -- no not even in garbage time or in the d-league. Being able to throw pretty passes is nice, but it's not special, and it's one of the least important things about being a play-maker. What Sidy showed was the potential to be a nice piece in an offense that is moving the ball. He can good-to-great, and that level of selflessness and IQ is worth something for sure. It will endear him to teammates, and it might increase the overall efficiency of an offense when he's on the floor -- provided he can be in situations where he is legit dangerous to score to the point that he can create the gaps in the defense his IQ and selfless nature lets him exploit. If his shot gets right, he'll be a useful rotation player. He'd have many more things that'd have to break right for him to be more than that. Otherwise, he's much closer of the projection list to, say, Joffery Lauvergne, who also flashed a talent for throwing spectacular look-ahead passes during the early part of his Spurs stint before he fell back to Earth and became the memeist Spurs pick this side of Jeff Ayres.
    that's some damn good cir locution right there.

Believe.
    Post Count
    I didn’t say he can’t shoot first. Some guy used magic’s shooting to compare it to sidy.

As for my point, the 80s pace was insane fast. So I don’t see much change in that regard. Magic wasn’t overly impacted by hand checking because of his size and strength compared for shoe guarding him. He was neutralized with size multiple times in the playoffs and regular season. Players like Pippen Moncrief gave him some (and some is relative) trouble. They were rare in the 80s. Not so much today.

If he was to teleport to todays game then he would still be a nice player, but one who can win this much? Not likely. Winning is a huge part of a players legacy, it’s part of a larger narrative. What magic did in the 80s was insane and the reason for that was that the team was stacked. Sure magic was a huge reason they were stacked but there was immense talent. There are some players who are more suited to different styles and even the greats are the same.
    When Magic started his career he really couldn’t shoot. He developed his shooting over time like Lebron, another big guy who couldn’t shoot very well when he came into the league. Maybe Sidy can improve his shooting too?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the reason i dont think the joffrey comparison is apt is because sidy also looks like he should be a plus defender. if you are just comparing their apparent passing skill, thats a different story, but then also less useful and a much more limited means of comparison.
    I don't think Cissoko and Lauvergne are similar players. I'm more commenting on how being able to make flashy passes isn't itself an important skill. I think most folks don't even remember that was a thing Joff used to do. They remember the bad hands, turnovers and overall lack of physicality.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    When Magic started his career he really couldn’t shoot. He developed his shooting over time like Lebron, another big guy who couldn’t shoot very well when he came into the league. Maybe Sidy can improve his shooting too?
    I’m not sure if sidy could. I would love him to and given he’s 19, chances are he would. That said, it’s not the original point (at least from how I read it). The original point is that sidy can’t contribute now because he is a poor finisher, which he is. He would have to be absolutely elite in at least another thing to compensate for that. Saying he could improve in shooting in the future so that he would be able to contribute highlights how his lack of finishing ability will definitely limit his playability.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did anyone consider in addition to being a good young prospect that Wemby may greatly enjoy having another young kid from France on the team and they may even hang out some offcourt?

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Did anyone consider in addition to being a good young prospect that Wemby may greatly enjoy having another young kid from France on the team and they may even hang out some offcourt?
    Sidy is the 2023 Antonio Daniels.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jack Haley

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yep, I think that was the other one.

Believe.
    Post Count
    I think it's just that I'm super excited about Sidy's potential. You don't see guys with his natural gifts. He has a crazy sort of strength and power than reminds me of Jalen Williams. I feel like he just has to learn to make better decisions. That might just be tons of gameplay that gets him there quick. So I'm all for getting him as much g league time as possible if he's not getting any playing time on the team.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is their new Stanley Johnson. Sidy perfectly fits the way Pop played Stanley.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is their new Stanley Johnson. Sidy perfectly fits the way Pop played Stanley.
    It was a career aberration, but SJ shot 45% from 3 on 1.5 atts/gm. I can't see Sidy shooting that on any amount of attempts.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Looks like a g league fixture until he learns to shoot if he can.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I liked Stanley Johnson. I was gonna sad to see him go.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice comp.

Sidy also reminds me of Justise Winslow before all the injuries (and his inability to improve his perimeter shooting) derailed his career.

Obviously, Sidy is a lot more raw than even Winslow was coming out of Duke, but their skillsets & body types are very similar.
    Last edited by J_Paco; 09-27-2023 at 11:05 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Member of Wembyland CorrectCrusader's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Lol I shuddered when I saw this but then saw the scoreboard. tf is going on in austin lol

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Lol I shuddered when I saw this but then saw the scoreboard. tf is going on in austin lol
    Same that's going on here, probably. Lmao

But yo, that's an epic dunk by Sidy. I hope this guy really becomes something.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    any stats....how was his shooting....how did rice do

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Who is that announcer straight off the farm

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They lost by 40 points they played even worse then how there big brothers played last night. To be honest I don’t even think any of these guys could crack the line up of a good college team not 1 player was in the positive for +/-

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They lost by 40 points they played even worse then how there big brothers played last night. To be honest I don’t even think any of these guys could crack the line up of a good college team not 1 player was in the positive for +/-

that’s usually what happens when you lose by 40.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rice started for UT last year.

I think using all three 2way spots, plus drafting Sidy was an attempt to shore up their talent level. They might also consider an extended stay for Blake Wesley, since he’s not in the rotation.

Austin’s been pretty bad for a few years.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would like to see Sidy get some burn with the big club just for the defense.

Believe.
    Post Count
    Is Sidy getting some play in gleague?

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Is Sidy getting some play in gleague?
    Guess u didn't see videos 4 posts up

Thread Information