Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think you were pretty high on Rupert, right? I'd be interested in getting your thoughts on Rupert vs. Cissoko.
    I saw Rupert as having great defensive potential on quicker guards, something I saw as a need for our team. And I saw his ball handling ability as exceptional. Those were his two main draws for me.

I didn’t follow or focus on Cissoko as much as I did with Rupert. My eyes were glued on Scoot during the Ignite games that I watched. But Cissoko did come up a lot during those games from the broadcast announcers and they were electrified by him. Like I said in an earlier post, he seemingly was at the right places at the right time. I don’t think they play the same role on an NBA basketball team. I think Cissoko will be more of a secondary playmaker similar to Diaw. People are going to hate this but he reminds me a bit of Primo without the mid range fanciness that Primo was trying to develop. Cissoko is very chunky looking and I think he will do a good/ better job than Rupert on the dirty work, which is important with a guy like Wemby who we’d want to take all the physicality from to extend his career. My most recent observations of Cissoko is that he has a knack for stylish passes which I didn’t see from Rupert. I think Cissoko will eventually become our Kyle Anderson, a utility guy that you can play anywhere… if he succeeds.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also wonder if the G-League Ignite has lost its shine for execs. You won't hear it out loud, as the NBA is strongly trying to tout them but...

Jalen Green
    Jonathan Kuminga
    Isaiah Todd
    Dyson Daniels
    MarJon Beauchamp
    Jaden Hardy
    Scoot Henderson
    Leonard Miller
    Sidy Cissoko
    Mojave King
    Daishen Nix

There's some promise here. Jaden Hardy shot much better in a small role for Dallas than with Ignite; we'll see if that continues. Dyson Daniels may eventually be good; he's certainly promising as a defender. But Jalen Green is just a mindless chucker who may never have the mentality to do anything different. Jonathan Kuminga is an arrogant who was unplayable in the postseason and is on the block. The rest? Eh.

I have more hope for Cissoko because he does have a professional background with actual teams in Spain and France, a better basis than many of these players do.

Anyway, I wonder if, other than Scoot, teams are sitting back to see about Ignite prospects at this point.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cissoko plays with a really appealing level of strength, speed, and physicality on both ends. And he really loves to yam it. I’m looking forward to watching in a much more team oriented concept with the spurs next season

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think you were pretty high on Rupert, right? I'd be interested in getting your thoughts on Rupert vs. Cissoko.
    I think the Spurs were ready to take either one, gambled and was able to nab one with a spare future SRP in the process. I like Rupert’s defense better, while I like Sidy’s passing better, for which I think Sidy has the higher ceiling. Pop loves players who can pass, think a shorter Diaw.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sounds like a couple of teams had this guy penciled in as a below the radar prospect that could become pretty good provided he can fix the hitch in his shot. I never like seeing a guy get the yips, but it's also easy to forget how young these guys are. This pick has grown on me, especially at 44. I wasn't a fan of giving up the third pick in the second round, but Cissoko has a shot at being decent I think.

And with a million second round picks coming up I'm sure the Spurs can bundle those into something decent, even if it's just a few slots up in draft position to grab a targeted player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    always try to temper expectations with 2nd rounders. other than Tre Jones, we havent had one be a rotation player since 2009 with Blair and to a lesser degree, Nando

all 2nd rounders since that year which werent immediately traded:

Ryan Richards, Adam Hanga, Marcus Denmon, DeShaun Thomas, Cady Lalanne, Jaron Blossomgame, Chimezie Metu, Quinndary Weatherspoon, Tre Jones, Joe Weiskamp, and now Sidy Cissoko

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Thank you for the input on Rupert vs. Cissoko. Appreciate it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Josh Richardson was a 2nd round draft pick. Devonte Graham was a 2nd round draft pick. Patty Mills was a 2nd round draft pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Josh Richardson was a 2nd round draft pick. Devonte Graham was a 2nd round draft pick. Patty Mills was a 2nd round draft pick.
    Do you realize you’re naming three successful second round picks to a thousand? Three that the Spurs didn’t develop. Three that the Spurs got through free agency or trade. And please note that I didn’t say no second draft pick would ever be successful. I basically said that making a plan where it centers on hoping those selections to be successful is not what the Spurs have in mind, because of the fact that those kinds of players can be found in other avenues and because the hit rate is low. You do this thing where you take super small sample sizes (like taking 10 guys out of the gleague and putting the nail in the coffin because of it) where the point of view could very well be expanded… you can take any 10 busts that came from college basketball, too, and make bad assumptions.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    the spurs didn't diminish the value of the second round pick, they punted to the future and doubled the number of picks (although not the value since 33 is an exceptionably high pick that can lead to unique scenarios). But just like we were all wanting the spurs to trade into the late lottery or late first round to get another pick, they can always get to 33 with similar deals

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you realize you’re naming three successful second round picks to a thousand? Three that the Spurs didn’t develop. Three that the Spurs got through free agency or trade. And please note that I didn’t say no second draft pick would ever be successful. I basically said that making a plan where it centers on hoping those selections to be successful is not what the Spurs have in mind, because of the fact that those kinds of players can be found in other avenues and because the hit rate is low. You do this thing where you take super small sample sizes (like taking 10 guys out of the gleague and putting the nail in the coffin because of it) where the point of view could very well be expanded… you can take any 10 busts that came from college basketball, too, and make bad assumptions.
    Cissoko was mocked much earlier, as Tre Jones was in his draft. None of those other picks were. It's more likely that this draft was deeper than previous years, as I'm making the case. I'll stick with liking the pick and thinking he dropped in ways that worked out for us. You can hope for the worst.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yea, second rounders are fighting against the odds but as one of your mentioned I have hope as Sidy came from playing professional ball in Spain so I think he has a good foundation. I do agree he is not as quick as Rubert and I don't see him being able to guard quick PG, but I do think he can easily guard SG/SF/ as he has the foot speed and at as just turning 19 is built like a truck. Also, I have to remind myself when watching his tape this season he was only 18 years old going up against a lot of grown men and he did not look out of place. Also, have to understand he was kind of the third guy as Scoot and Miller were the main players who got the touches and he was more of doing the dirty work and was playing a new position then what he was playing in Europe.

Based on the few interviews I can tell you that he is going to fit in nicely with the new team I see his personality very close to Sochan as someone who likes to have fun and will bring 100% when he is on the floor. You can tell he is all ready a professional and will take to Pop coaching with no complaints and will do what is necessary for the team vs. for himself. It is very important to surround Wemby with professional minded players as he will not have to worry about dealing with head case or drama queens crying about touches..
    Last edited by BackHome; 06-25-2023 at 01:04 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A nice Vid if someone could down load it would be nice to watch - it is by "The Field of 68" Sidy Cissoko Scouting Report - It is an interview with his coach in the G League - Jason Hart

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why would his agent turn away teams who might draft him before 44 and have an agreement to go to the Spurs at 44 instead of 33?
    Same reason lots of other players do it, including Rupert. Pull your head out of your ass.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A nice Vid if someone could down load it would be nice to watch - it is by "The Field of 68" Sidy Cissoko Scouting Report - It is an interview with his coach in the G League - Jason Hart

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How does Cissoko compare with previous wings the Spurs have selected in the 2nd round? Like, say, Jaron Blossomgame?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cissoko was mocked much earlier, as Tre Jones was in his draft. None of those other picks were. It's more likely that this draft was deeper than previous years, as I'm making the case. I'll stick with liking the pick and thinking he dropped in ways that worked out for us. You can hope for the worst.
    You’re getting me twisted. I’m a Spurs fan— I wish for every draft pick to become a star. My initial comments were in response to the Spurs logic behind their actions on draft night. I don’t think the Spurs have a mega computer that tells them how every domino will fall… it is quite the contrary. IMO, more credit goes to the environment and development program they have set up than it is their scouting prowess. I don’t think they go into these drafts thinking they are going to discover hidden talent every time. I think the philosophy is that if a kid is intelligent and receptive, they will reach their highest potential because we’re putting them in a position to succeed. The signs are there why this is likely their mindset… a $500,000,000 sign. Another sign would be their emphasis on the gleague. These kids take the proper steps. Pop was recently quoted as such.

In short, the Spurs put themselves and their players where they can be their best. This is the same story over and over. The Spurs purposefully planned for this year to be the year they get a top talent, just the same as they planned to equip whoever they would select in the second round with the tools to succeed.

Cissoko could easily become one of my favorite Spur. But that’s ultimately going to be up to him putting in the work as opposed to secret Manu genes underlying within him that the Spurs knew he would have.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Same reason lots of other players do it, including Rupert. Pull your head out of your ass.
    My question is a valid one. The Blazers didn't have two second round picks, the Spurs did.

How do you know Rupert had an agreement?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My question is a valid one. The Blazers didn't have two second round picks, the Spurs did.

How do you know Rupert had an agreement?
    It was reported (I honestly don't remember where) that Rupert's agent told teams not to draft him because he had a deal in place with some team, and he was taken by Portland, so... plus, in Portland's press conference Rupert said that his agent told him he had an offer from Portland and he agreed to go there. The difference isn't the picks, lots of teams were able to get into the early 2nd round even without picks, just for future 2nd rounders. However, going by Rupert's words and his agent's actions, Portland probably gives him several guaranteed years unlike other teams, and that's a significant difference.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    From his highlights he reminds me of KJ McDaniels.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    It was reported (I honestly don't remember where) that Rupert's agent told teams not to draft him because he had a deal in place with some team, and he was taken by Portland, so... plus, in Portland's press conference Rupert said that his agent told him he had an offer from Portland and he agreed to go there. The difference isn't the picks, lots of teams were able to get into the early 2nd round even without picks, just for future 2nd rounders. However, going by Rupert's words and his agent's actions, Portland probably gives him several guaranteed years unlike other teams, and that's a significant difference.
    This has probably been answered- but what would have happened if say the Spurs with 33 took him?
    Do teams tend to respect these so as not to create ill will towards the agents and players?

I remember last year some reports where that Barlow asked not to be drafted because he had a deal with the Spurs for a 2 way and wanted to go to them.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This has probably been answered- but what would have happened if say the Spurs with 33 took him?
    Do teams tend to respect these so as not to create ill will towards the agents and players?

I remember last year some reports where that Barlow asked not to be drafted because he had a deal with the Spurs for a 2 way and wanted to go to them.
    if they really like him as a prospect they take him regardless to what the agent say

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stuff like this makes me wonder just how much draft order even matters in the second round.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Cissoko plays with a really appealing level of strength, speed, and physicality on both ends. And he really loves to yam it. I’m looking forward to watching in a much more team oriented concept with the spurs next season
    What do you think of his lateral mobility?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    What do you think of his lateral mobility?
    Watching several clips of him this doesn't seem to be a strength of his, he gets beat or fouls a lot of times, which is why I doubt the assertion that he "can guard 1 through 4". He seems really strong though, he's probably better suited to guard 3s (not the faster ones) and 4s (not the bigger ones). He's got a lot of interesting traits but unless he works on this and his shot, he's going to have an uphill battle for minutes as a no-3,no-D wing.

Thread Information