Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I placed my first ever (small) bet this week, really two bets: $25 over 30.5 (+100), $25 for 35+ wins (+190). Combined, they add up to betting $50 and getting, for 30 or fewer wins, $0, 31-34 wins, $50 (break-even), 35 or more wins, $125.

The money is meaningless, but it will be something extra to root for.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm taking the over

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah over. Not a tanking year, youngsters a year older and that Wemby guy.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    How many of you Overs choosers are dropping cash?
    How much did you drop on under?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see how we don't go over 30.5. Portland was low key tanking last year after the deadline, and they won 33 games, finishing with the 5th worst record. They weren't nearly as good defensively as this squad will be.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is as weak as the WC has been in a very long time.
    Hard disagree…from top to bottom the conference is stacked.

Nuggets just won the le and pretty much retained all their core pieces aside from Bruce Brown. They looked dominant in the playoffs.

Suns have one of the most loaded rosters we’ve seen in some time. Sure, you can question the fit/depth there but they did a pretty solid job this off-season filling out the bench all things considered. They’ll be in the hunt as long as they’re healthy IMO.

Warriors have the same core but replaced Poole with CP3. I realize they’re aging fast but I still think they have another year or 2 of being dangerous.

Clippers are a major wildcard due to health but if they’re healthy they have an extremely talented roster.

Lakers are hit or miss. Like the Clippers their health is a major question mark but for once they did the right thing and didn’t completely shake up the roster and instead focused on adding solid role players and opting for continuity. LeBron will be another year older but if they continue their momentum from post-deadline last year they’ll be very solid. Do I think they’re likely to contend for a le? Probably not, but they’ll be good.

Memphis is whatever. I’m not super high on their core but they do have an extremely strong defensive core between Smart/Bane/Jackson + one of the best guards in the league when Morant isn’t showing off his arsenal No they’re not a legitimate threat to win the le but they can certainly be a tough out.

OKC was on the cusp of being .500 last year and they have a very young core with lots of guys who should improve from last year. Then to top it off they’re adding a top 3 pick in Chet + a guy many were high on in Cason Wallace. Again, not not a le contender but they’re going to be solid this year.

I don’t really know how I feel about the Kings. I’m not a big fan of their roster but they did play solid last year and are fairly young. I see them taking a step back but that could still mean being over .500.

Minnesota is kind of a show but hard to see them being much worse than .500. Utah has a pretty promising young core and will likely improve this year. New Orleans is dependent on Zion being healthy which seems unlikely these days but not like they’re a dumpster fire or anything. Houston will be another year older + added some solid vets even if they hilariously overpaid.

It legitimately seems like the entire conference either stayed the same or improved outside of Portland. Inevitably injuries will happen and teams will implode but to me the conference looks incredibly deep from a talent perspective. I’m optimistic about the Spurs taking a step forward but a lot of the arguments we make for our team (“We were tanking”, “We have a young core that will improve”) can be said for several other teams if we’re being honest.

All this being said I do think we hit the over and end up around 35 wins. But the conference will make it tough - not many easy gimme wins IMO.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    over 30

Wemby is good for 10 more wins
    unless he gets injured then it's another tank season for a top PG.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Nuggets just won the le and pretty much retained all their core pieces aside from Bruce Brown. They looked dominant in the playoffs.

Suns have one of the most loaded rosters we’ve seen in some time. Sure, you can question the fit/depth there but they did a pretty solid job this off-season filling out the bench all things considered. They’ll be in the hunt as long as they’re healthy IMO.

Warriors have the same core but replaced Poole with CP3. I realize they’re aging fast but I still think they have another year or 2 of being dangerous.

Clippers are a major wildcard due to health but if they’re healthy they have an extremely talented roster.

Lakers are hit or miss. Like the Clippers their health is a major question mark but for once they did the right thing and didn’t completely shake up the roster and instead focused on adding solid role players and opting for continuity. LeBron will be another year older but if they continue their momentum from post-deadline last year they’ll be very solid. Do I think they’re likely to contend for a le? Probably not, but they’ll be good.

Memphis is whatever. I’m not super high on their core but they do have an extremely strong defensive core between Smart/Bane/Jackson + one of the best guards in the league when Morant isn’t showing off his arsenal No they’re not a legitimate threat to win the le but they can certainly be a tough out.

OKC was on the cusp of being .500 last year and they have a very young core with lots of guys who should improve from last year. Then to top it off they’re adding a top 3 pick in Chet + a guy many were high on in Cason Wallace. Again, not not a le contender but they’re going to be solid this year.

I don’t really know how I feel about the Kings. I’m not a big fan of their roster but they did play solid last year and are fairly young. I see them taking a step back but that could still mean being over .500.

Minnesota is kind of a show but hard to see them being much worse than .500. Utah has a pretty promising young core and will likely improve this year. New Orleans is dependent on Zion being healthy which seems unlikely these days but not like they’re a dumpster fire or anything. Houston will be another year older + added some solid vets even if they hilariously overpaid.

It legitimately seems like the entire conference either stayed the same or improved outside of Portland. Inevitably injuries will happen and teams will implode but to me the conference looks incredibly deep from a talent perspective. I’m optimistic about the Spurs taking a step forward but a lot of the arguments we make for our team (“We were tanking”, “We have a young core that will improve”) can be said for several other teams if we’re being honest.

All this being said I do think we hit the over and end up around 35 wins. But the conference will make it tough - not many easy gimme wins IMO.
    Suns are stacked and will battle Denver for the best record in the west.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Which of his accounts?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yeah, you just kind of agreed that these are all not great teams other than Denver. Again, the Western Conference hasn't been this bad in a really long time.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, you just kind of agreed that these are all not great teams other than Denver. Again, the Western Conference hasn't been this bad in a really long time.
    All those teams will be better than the Spurs. They are all deeper talented teams than the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All those teams will be better than the Spurs. They are all deeper talented teams than the Spurs.
    Lol. "All those teams"?

Guys are wildly overrating this conference right now. They're seeing big names and clapping their hands wildly. These are very old players. James is about done, the Warriors depend on an aging Curry to drag them anywhere, the Clippers are extremely fragile. Phoenix doesn't make a lick of sense and has the depth of a piece of paper held sideways.

Only Denver is very good. We have a number of teams that will drop off a cliff, maybe even this year. Then we have some moderately good teams whose cores aren't much better than the Spurs.

But I get it -- you despise the Spurs and would rather go watch Jordan Walsh.

Are you not entertained? Davidicus's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ive got them 40+ with cash on it. I think first 7 games of last season was the true team, now add Wemby.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll take the over. I think they'll win at least 35 games this year.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I feel this team was at least 5-10 games better than their record last season ... with sitting out players and crazy rotations the tank was no joke, imo. Add in (a hopefully ready) Wemby and I think they'll at least be 35-40.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm taking the over. But I bet a lot of casual fans are going to take the over with Wemby on the roster. That bar will move up quick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even if you want to argue there are no “great” teams aside from Denver (which isn’t what I said but let’s go with it)…there are several “good” teams and, again, almost no teams that look to be in worse shape than they were the year before aside from Portland if they lose Lillard.

Which teams in the West do you see the Spurs being better than? Seems to me there are 3 options:

- You think the Spurs are going to make a massive jump and increase their win total by 20+ games
    - You think the Spurs will be near the bottom of the conference and this is the result of them not having a good roster
    - You think the Spurs will be near the bottom of the conference and this is the result of the conference being deep with lots of solid teams

Which is it?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Under 30 would mean that important starters had major injury trouble.

Doesn't matter how good the rest of the conference is, Spurs aren't in the playoff series against them.

Spurs had 22 wins with Keldon, Devin and Jeremy missing ~90 games (iirc) and a lot of disgusting tanking. Just remember those two b2b Ls against Houston.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm taking the over. But I bet a lot of casual fans are going to take the over with Wemby on the roster. That bar will move up quick.
    I thought so too. I got my bet in as soon as I could find a line available here (Ohio).

Plus, there's still the outside possibility some of the expiring contracts are flipped for somebody, while the roster is unlikely to get worse.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I haven't declared upthread like many Overs have.
    Nor am i obligated to.
    Was just wondering as it separates. Altho nothing wrong with non betters giving their opinion. At all.

My first inclination is to agree with the Overs.
    However, Craig Popplevich without an MVP+ to carry him can find numerous ways to lose games.
    Is Wemby MVP level already? You know what he might be. But if SL is any indication he is going to get a plethora of cheapshots.

I could see Pop easily swinging 10 wins into 10 losses.
    Still waiting to see how many Pets get elevated to playing time over better players.
    Also the pg position. Is Pet Trey getting all the minutes or what's up?

Like Helicopter pointed out if one wants to Overs they better pick quickly because it well may go up.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I placed my first ever (small) bet this week, really two bets: $25 over 30.5 (+100), $25 for 35+ wins (+190). Combined, they add up to betting $50 and getting, for 30 or fewer wins, $0, 31-34 wins, $50 (break-even), 35 or more wins, $125.

The money is meaningless, but it will be something extra to root for.
    I put $10 on the Spurs to win the NBA le with a payout of $2,500.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Even if you want to argue there are no “great” teams aside from Denver (which isn’t what I said but let’s go with it)…there are several “good” teams and, again, almost no teams that look to be in worse shape than they were the year before aside from Portland if they lose Lillard.

Which teams in the West do you see the Spurs being better than? Seems to me there are 3 options:

- You think the Spurs are going to make a massive jump and increase their win total by 20+ games
    - You think the Spurs will be near the bottom of the conference and this is the result of them not having a good roster
    - You think the Spurs will be near the bottom of the conference and this is the result of the conference being deep with lots of solid teams

Which is it?
    There were only two teams in the west last year with fewer than 30 wins.

Spurs will be closer to the bottom of the conference than the top.

They still need to add talent to the roster. What they have added this year are at best backup quality players, not future game changers.
    This year is more of an experiment to see how Wemby plays/progresses and what players have improved enough to be good fits around him.

Roster upgrades are needed to move up closer to the top of the conference.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    $25 over 30.5 (+100),
    which place is giving +100 for over 30.5 wins?
    I'll take that.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I expect it to move up to 35 wins.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I expect it to move up to 35 wins.
    I already see it at 32.5

Thread Information