Page 2 of 228 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I mean, I agree with Bruno on the CHA pick, but there is a sliver of hope there if LaMelo can stay healthy, getting Bridges back and Brandon Miller.

Teams that seem like a lock to make playoffs in East:

PHI
    BOS
    NY
    MIL
    CLE

Teams on the bubble of making PO: TOR, CHI, MIA & ATL - so that means CHA would have to beat out 2 of those 4 teams. Best bet seems like CHA making the play-in as 9th or 10th and winning that to get into playoff.
    could see charlotte being on the cusp and then pulling the plug end of the year

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They can’t tank again, or risk losing LaMelo. They have to go all out and be as good as they can. I think they should make the playoffs. They have mostly the same cast back from their playoff team of two years ago, plus Williams and Miller added to their mix.
    Last edited by exstatic; 09-15-2023 at 01:24 PM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know if Charlotte makes the playoffs, but the East is weaker than often presented. Celtics have been near-dominant with a repe ive, one-note roster, Philadelphia is on the verge of implosion, Cleveland is above average, Milwaukee is aging. It's a conference so poor a shot-in-the-pan Miami team made it to the Finals, where they were dominated by a 53-win Denver team.

Charlotte's problem is that they're all knuckleheads.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Possible, but with some new owners etc and how much losing they have done? I can see them very much valuing the playoffs too vs say another pick 14. But you’re right….have to see how it shakes out and it will obviously depend largely on LaMelos health. Feels like a big season for him to prove he’s a legit impact player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Possible, but with some new owners etc and how much losing they have done? I can see them very much valuing the playoffs too vs say another pick 14. But you’re right….have to see how it shakes out and it will obviously depend largely on LaMelos health. Feels like a big season for him to prove he’s a legit impact player.
    hayward/bridges playing on contract years as well

they have some talented pieces but dno if it will come together. here's hoping

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I haven’t seen much in the way of names in the draft yet. I would think our priorities would be

1. Prolific 3 level scorer wing/guard
    2. PG
    3. Big Depth

I put pg 2nd because I think that’s a position that could be filled in a lot of ways where it’ll be tough to find a legit number 1 scorer outside of the draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    hayward/bridges playing on contract years as well

they have some talented pieces but dno if it will come together. here's hoping
    Ya I’m not exactly holding my breath lol….I’d give it a 20% chance largely because LaMelo never stays healthy and even if he did? Not sure he’s a legit winning player overall. But I really hope they get off to a solid start.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Charlotte is a playoff team if healthy. I like them better than Chicago and Toronto, and maybe even Atlanta in the east. They still have the entire core of the team that won 43 games two years ago. Add Williams from last year's draft who looks like a player and if Miller is any good (I think he will be), that's a solid roster.

I know the fear is that the Charlotte pick never conveys, but I don't know about the Spurs having three FRP in what is considered, at least right now, to be a pretty weak draft. Spurs also have 10 guys on the roster 23 years of age or younger. Seems like overkill on the youth movement and a recipe for talented young guys getting lost in the shuffle or not having enough space to grow.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Charlotte is a playoff team if healthy. I like them better than Chicago and Toronto, and maybe even Atlanta in the east. They still have the entire core of the team that won 43 games two years ago. Add Williams from last year's draft who looks like a player and if Miller is any good (I think he will be), that's a solid roster.

I know the fear is that the Charlotte pick never conveys, but I don't know about the Spurs having three FRP in what is considered, at least right now, to be a pretty weak draft. Spurs also have 10 guys on the roster 23 years of age or younger. Seems like overkill on the youth movement and a recipe for talented young guys getting lost in the shuffle or not having enough space to grow.
    More about trade value IMO - can “overpay” to consolidate picks and move up for player you want and/or use them all to trade for a star

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Ya I’m not exactly holding my breath lol….I’d give it a 20% chance largely because LaMelo never stays healthy and even if he did? Not sure he’s a legit winning player overall. But I really hope they get off to a solid start.
    Agree, LaMello isn't a guy who will put in the time and learn sets and will grind out wins. He's a seat-of-the-pants improv player who will win games but will never be a threat for more.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Agree, LaMello isn't a guy who will put in the time and learn sets and will grind out wins. He's a seat-of-the-pants improv player who will win games but will never be a threat for more.
    We don't need him to win an LoB, just make the playoffs. Those kinds of players get into the post season all of the time.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We don't need him to win an LoB, just make the playoffs. Those kinds of players get into the post season all of the time.
    I don't think we're disagreeing with that.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Dumb thread is dumb

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Watched a bit of Ignite vs Perth. Liked Holland, Sarr and Almansa. The latter doesn't seem like the best fit since there's an overlap with Wemby, Sochan and Barlow, but he's an interesting guy, super smart and resourceful. He might not be flashy but he's a really sound basketball player. For a while I've been really intrigued by the combination of size and skill by Buzelis in older clips, but by the game he seems shorter than advertised and was underwhelming though it's too soon to jump to any conclusions, of course. As for the NCAA, the guy I'm most looking forward to watching is Edwards. Not really sure about the guards, though.
    I am really intrigued by Edwards as well. I watched most of the Kentucky/Germany game and Edwards was meh. Only one game, but he was getting blown by on defense pretty regularly. He did recover for some nice blocks though. Seemed out of sync on Offense. Couple of air ball jumpers. The guy who really looked good was DJ Wagner. It like I said one game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anticipation for a draft that is a year from now is probably the saddest thing a fan could do tbh

What the draft projections look like now vs how it will look even a month or two from the draft is night and day

to look at these kids this early is a pointless endeavor. And anyone who ignores the present time is a sad existence.

an unpopular opinion. So bring on the hate idgaf
    Alt take: people can post threads on topics they enjoy discussing, and those who don’t share that enjoyment are free to not click on such threads

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t think CHA pick ever conveys. I understand that they need to try to win, I just don’t think they are good enough and their management thus far hasn’t inspired any confidence. I’m definitely bearish on that pick, and I’m also becoming increasingly bearish on the CHI pick.

I don’t understand what it is they are trying to accomplish with this DDR/Lavine/Vooch core that seems to be regressing rather than improving. Another play-in season or even a near miss could ignite them to want to completely rebuild. Is the window for that pick still 25 and 26, or did it get pushed to 26 and 27?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t think CHA pick ever conveys. I understand that they need to try to win, I just don’t think they are good enough and their management thus far hasn’t inspired any confidence. I’m definitely bearish on that pick, and I’m also becoming increasingly bearish on the CHI pick.

I don’t understand what it is they are trying to accomplish with this DDR/Lavine/Vooch core that seems to be regressing rather than improving. Another play-in season or even a near miss could ignite them to want to completely rebuild. Is the window for that pick still 25 and 26, or did it get pushed to 26 and 27?
    Jordan is gone. That alone should be worth 5 wins.

As for Chicago, that pick varies between top 10 and top 8 protection. That weird core they have is pretty much destined to be late lottery,so unless they hit big luck multiple times jumping into the top 4, it should easily convey.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I haven’t seen much in the way of names in the draft yet. I would think our priorities would be

1. Prolific 3 level scorer wing/guard
    2. PG
    3. Big Depth

I put pg 2nd because I think that’s a position that could be filled in a lot of ways where it’ll be tough to find a legit number 1 scorer outside of the draft.
    Im actually starting to get intrigued by this draft. The top players seem to be SFs which is always a position of need in this league. One of Matas, Holland, Zach or Edwards could be an excellent fit up front along with Sochan and Wemby.

PG will continue to be the glaring need but I dont think they should force the pick

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anticipation for a draft that is a year from now is probably the saddest thing a fan could do tbh

What the draft projections look like now vs how it will look even a month or two from the draft is night and day

to look at these kids this early is a pointless endeavor. And anyone who ignores the present time is a sad existence.

an unpopular opinion. So bring on the hate idgaf
    Lol relax, this is just basketball. And it's summer time in a spurs forum, people come by to talk about and stuff waiting for next season. And trying to briefly see where next year's eligible guys are at and starting being familiar or follow some intriguing prospects is perfectly fine. That's actually what every NBA team is doing. We all know it will be corrected and refined troughout the year, that's the game... The "spurs should draft Victor Wembanyama in 2023" thread was created more than one year before he was drafted.

But thanks for coming and posting in a thread to say you don't like it.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Jordan is gone. That alone should be worth 5 wins.

As for Chicago, that pick varies between top 10 and top 8 protection. That weird core they have is pretty much destined to be late lottery,so unless they hit big luck multiple times jumping into the top 4, it should easily convey.
    I agree with this part, which is also why Chicago might want to pull the plug, much like we did, after this season if they open their eyes to where their ceiling is with the current make up of the team.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I agree with this part, which is also why Chicago might want to pull the plug, much like we did, after this season if they open their eyes to where their ceiling is with the current make up of the team.
    We pulled the plug by trading, in consecutive years, healthy performing All Stars. I think they could find a taker for DeRozan,but would struggle to move bothe Vooch and Lavine. The latter may never be the same after playing on a bum knee in a contract year to secure his current deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    A french player I would keep an eye on is Melvin Ajinça (cousin of the former NAB player Alexis Ajinça). He hasn't that much upside but he is an athletic SF who can shoot and defend. If he keeps improving, he has a clear path as a great 3&D NBA role player.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    my first pet cat for next year's draft is C Alexandre Sarr - France

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Last year was a catastrophy with Lamelo out for the year basically and Miles Bridges' legal issues, but 02 years ago they had 43 wins with basically the same core.
    Now Lamelo and Hayward are back and Miles Bridges should be motivated to earn himself the payday he fumbled. If we take into consideration Mark Williams growth and Brandon Miller contributes right away at least to some degree, on paper that's a team talented enough to make the play in.
    You'd have Boston, Milwaukee, Philadelphia, Cleveland, Miami comfortably ahead on the same tier in terms of chances of making the playoffs, and then a few teams like NY, Atlanta and Indiana in the next. Then you have Toronto, Chicago and Orlando, I would put Charlotte in this tier as well, as teams that are unlikely to clinch a top 6 seed but can very well get into the 7-10 range. I expect Brooklyn to regress, Washington is tanking, and Detroit isn't there yet.
    IMO best case scenario is Charlotte ends up as a 7th/8th seed, last year for reference Atlanta was 8th seed with a .500 record. That would give them 2 chances, and once you're there it's a couple of games where anything may happen. So all in all I'm not saying it's likely, but I do think there's a chance, if planets align.
    The window starts in '25 because it was 2 years after the pick owed to Orlando conveyed, which happened this year. If they're tanking it should be now, worst case scenario for us is they wait this season and then blow it up. Then there's a real chance that pick isn't conveying. We're walking a fine line where Charlotte should make the playoffs, but Chicago should at least make the play in with some hope so that they don't blow it up yet, plus Toronto is bad but not that bad. Could end up great, but likely we won't get them all.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Im actually starting to get intrigued by this draft. The top players seem to be SFs which is always a position of need in this league. One of Matas, Holland, Zach or Edwards could be an excellent fit up front along with Sochan and Wemby.

PG will continue to be the glaring need but I dont think they should force the pick
    I agree with all of this, definitely we should take best player available unless we're talking the same tier. Also we're not set at SF and you can't have too many of them in the modern game, all things being equal this would be my preference even over a guard.

Thread Information