Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Former President Donald Trump, his top executives, and heirs were declared completely liable of “persistent and repeated fraud”—and the real estate empire was unceremoniously stripped of its business licenses in New York—after a judge’s powerful ruling Tuesday ahead of a massive trial that seeks to hit them with more than $250 million in penalties for bank fraud.

And in a stunning development, the judge has already ordered the complete dissolution of the fabled Trump Organization–the tycoon’s pride and joy, the empire that made him famous and elevated him into the White House. The Trump Organization and its sister companies will be sent into receivership to be under the control of a court-appointed officer.

Even before the trial officially starts, the ruling handed New York Attorney General Le ia James a near total victory, meaning that next week’s trial will mostly focus on damages that could pulverize whatever is left of Trump’s many business en ies and bank accounts.

In his 35-page opinion, Justice Arthur F. Engoron tore apart what he called the Trump family’s “bogus arguments” and obstreperous conduct. And he summed up the entire defense as “a fantasy world, not the real world.”

“In defendants’ world: rent regulated apartments are worth the same as unregulated apartments; restricted land is worth the same as unrestricted land, restricts can evaporate into thin air… all illegal acts are untimely if they stem from one untimely act; and square footage [is] subjective,” he wrote.

Trump Tries to Strike Down New York AG Case Before It Starts

Trump, several of his heirs, and top executives will now be fighting off accusations of bank and insurance fraud at a civil trial that’s scheduled to run from early October until late December. AG Le ia James seeks to punish them all for routinely lying about property values to score better deals. At trial, it will be up to Judge Engoron alone whether the Trumps will owe $250 million-plus in penalties, be prohibited from serving as executives, and have the company charters revoked.

In a scathing statement posted to Truth Social on Tuesday night, the former president described himself, his family and supporters as victims of a “widespread, radical attack that has now devolved to new, un-American depths.” He described Judge Engoron as “DERANGED” and alleged he was simply doing James’ “bidding.”

“Today’s action is a refutation of my status as the leading Candidate for President of the United States,” he fumed. “It is a terrible reminder that the Radical Left Democrats will stop at nothing in trying to prevent me, and the American people, from winning the 2024 Presidential Election. Regardless of Party, we cannot let this happen in the United States of America!”

Trump alleged that as his lead in the polls over Biden grows higher, his enemies are becoming “more and more desperate and dangerous.”

At a court hearing last week, lawyers on both sides tried to convince the judge to grant them each a total victory to avoid much of the trial. Engoron decided against that, rejecting the Trumps’ request to dismiss the case entirely and the AG’s request to have a trial solely on damages.

On Tuesday, Engoron ripped the Trumps—and their lawyers—apart for dragging this on so long with legal arguments that wasted the courts time by repeatedly questioning whether the AG even had the authority to hold them accountable this way.

Those arguments “glaringly misrepresent” the law and trying them again and again “invoke the time-loop in the film Groundhog Day,’” the judge wrote, calling attempts to topple the case this way “pure sophistry.”

Engoron also made the pivotal decision to keep all of the AG’s lawsuit intact, concluding that all of the real estate deals in question are not too old for law enforcement to crack down on for bank fraud. He brushed off the Trumps’ attempt to whittle down the lawsuit ahead of a trial that could drain the wealthy family’s bank accounts.

The timing of this decision also throws a wrench into the Trumps’ Hail Mary play, in which they sued the judge directly and prematurely asked a state appellate court to intervene because he hadn’t yet made his decision on the statute of limitations—an oddly aggressive move that reeked of delay tactics. That higher court, the appellate division’s First Judicial Department, has yet to weigh in. Doing so now might be a moot point. As such, the trial appears to be set to start next Monday, as planned.

Trump, His Kids, and His Bankers: New York AG Lays Out Witnesses in Case

The judge seemed particularly annoyed at what he described as the Trumps’ inability to run their business ethically. He had previously assigned a former federal judge to oversee aspects of the Trump Organization to ensure that it did not slyly shift assets ahead of the trial—only to discover that executives wouldn't let the court-appointed monitor do her job.

“Even with a preliminary injunction in place, and with an independent monitor overseeing their compliance, defendants have continued to disseminate false and misleading information while conducting business,” he wrote.

The judge said that canceling the business certificate was justified.

“This ongoing flouting of this court’s prior order, combined with the persistent nature of the false [statements of financial condition] year after year, have demonstrated the necessity of canceling the certificates,” he added.

The judge struck down every defense Trump and his lawyers raised during the course of the AG’s three-year investigation and in the year since she filed her lawsuit.

For example, Engoron stopped Trump from leaning on dubious disclaimers from his longtime outside accountants at MazarsUSA, which indicated that they hadn’t actually audited his personal financial statements. In court, his lawyers kept pushing the idea that Trump wasn’t really bound by basic rules called Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, known as “GAAP.” The judge was having none of it.

“These non-party disclaimers do not insulate defendants from liability, as they plainly state that ‘Donald J. Trump is responsible for the preparation and fair presentation of the financial statement in accordance with accounting principles generally accepted in the United States of America,’” Engoron wrote.

And in what’s become a recurring theme in this case—one that has annoyed the judge repeatedly—it was clear that the Trumps were pointing to evidence that said the exact opposite of what they were trying to prove.

“In sum, the Mazars disclaimers put the onus for accuracy squarely on defendants’ shoulders,” Engoron wrote.

(Mazars dropped the Trump Organization as a client last year and disavowed their previous work by pointing to his untrustworthy personal financial statement.)

In his decision on Tuesday, Engoron also decided to impose sanctions on the Trumps’ lawyers over the AG’s accusations that they have acted unprofessionally by raising ridiculous arguments and delaying the case this long. AG investigators have been digging into the Trumps’ finances for more than three years and have been slowed down at every turn by a company that has refused to turn over do ents and Trump family members who wouldn’t show up for official interviews. The family’s procrastination and obstruction efforts forced the judge to intervene several times, at one point ordering the former president himself to pay $110,000 in fines.

“Unfortunately, sanctions are the only way to impress upon defendants’ attorneys the consequences of engaging in repe ive, frivolous motion practice after this court, affirmed by the appellate division, expressly warned them against doing so,” he wrote.

He ordered the entire Trump legal team—Michael Madaio, Clifford S. Robert, Michael Farina, Christopher Kise, and Armen Morian—to each pay $7,500, a punishment that will also serve as a blemish on their professional records.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    6 ways from Sunday

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The company owns his plane. oops.

Hans Brix??? Oh no!!!! Kim Jong-il's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Clippers
    Post Count
    6 ways from Sunday

Enemy of the System Millennial_Messiah's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump Wolf of Wall Street domestic stuff and tax fraud in NYC vs. Biden foreign money laundering, bribery, espionage, and treason.

Trump remains the lesser of the two evils.

Alleged Michigander ChumpDumper's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trump Wolf of Wall Street domestic stuff and tax fraud in NYC vs. Biden foreign money laundering, bribery, espionage, and treason.

Except the Trump stuff, you know, actually happened.

My Team
    Dallas Mavericks
    Post Count

Do you talk this way to your kid that you abandoned?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Fake news; a real MM post would include: 1. unrelated travel stories, 2. fantasy sex with random women, 3. how much money he makes.

This is just ducks’ level wish casting.

My Team
    Boston Celtics
    Post Count
    There’s definitely an element of “everyone does it” in terms of Trump inflating or deflating asset values depending on whether he’s talking to a bank he’s trying to get a loan from or a tax assessor, but there’s an art to doing it creatively and not in a way that’s overly blatant (eg, using a discounted cash flow valuation for a bank loan appraisal & then using replacement cost when you’re dealing with a tax assessor).

From the looks of it the Trump Org went way beyond how it’s typically done and outright used fraudulent valuation assumptions (eg, saying his Manhattan condo was 3x larger than it actually was) to inflate asset values which opened himself up to this.

Do I think NY is going after him for something that it wouldn’t go after any other real estate developer / investor for? Yes. Do I think Trump made it extremely easy for NY to go after him by using bull valuations that go way beyond what any other real estate developer does to inflate its balance sheet? Also yes.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Soleimanis revenge

Fatass deserves it and Soleimani will be waiting for him in the depths of

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Calculating square footage is a “subjective process.”

notthewordsofonewhokneels Thread's Avatar
    My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Hey OP,

didnt everyone on the planet tell you and warn you that trump was a criminal and a con man many many years ago?

yet

you voted for him twice, joined his cult, supported his cons/crimes/white supremacy

and defended him 24/7

and here we are….

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The company owns his plane. oops.
    He will be down to "Uber Trump Force One" to get around.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    6 ways from Sunday
    the NYAG is not part of the intelligence community

sorry

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There’s definitely an element of “everyone does it” in terms of Trump inflating or deflating asset values depending on whether he’s talking to a bank he’s trying to get a loan from or a tax assessor, but there’s an art to doing it creatively and not in a way that’s overly blatant (eg, using a discounted cash flow valuation for a bank loan appraisal & then using replacement cost when you’re dealing with a tax assessor).

From the looks of it the Trump Org went way beyond how it’s typically done and outright used fraudulent valuation assumptions (eg, saying his Manhattan condo was 3x larger than it actually was) to inflate asset values which opened himself up to this.

Do I think NY is going after him for something that it wouldn’t go after any other real estate developer / investor for? Yes. Do I think Trump made it extremely easy for NY to go after him by using bull valuations that go way beyond what any other real estate developer does to inflate its balance sheet? Also yes.
    obviously they're not going to have resources to look after each and every individual case. same with how the IRS handles audits. the IRS isnt going to dedicate its limited resources to audit people making 60k/year on a w2 job.

its true that many people try putting their finger on the scale when it comes to tax/loan stuff, but if you're regularly dropping anvils on the scale, it will be picked up on

my unders, my frgn whites pgardn's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

sorry

"Oh yeah?

Well they keep records so they are to be feared."

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

sorry
    chrispiracies

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    Mornin', fart-face.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    [[[Damn. Trump is ed]]]

& all he did (lmao) was make President of the United States.

They've sure showed & are showing that old man where the bear s in the buckwheat, eh, boys? & showing the rest of us thru Trump's crucifixion..."Don't even think about it, mother ers, or, this is what will befall you, just as sure as the turnin' of the earth. This is a closed circuitPERIOD"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    none of his cult members can address the actual facts of any of his cases because they know he's guilty.

My Team
    Los Angeles Lakers
    Post Count
    none of his cult members can address the actual facts of any of his cases because they know he's guilty.
    ...yes, absolutely & all he did (lmao) was make President of the United States.

They've sure showed & are showing that old man where the bear s in the buckwheat, eh, boys? & showing the rest of us thru Trump's crucifixion..."Don't even think about it, mother ers, or, this is what will befall you, just as sure as the turnin' of the earth. This is a closed circuitPERIOD"

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm sure Dale is just spamming furiously. Broken record bads.

Thread Information