Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have never placed a sports bet in my life but I am considering it this year as it seems like a unique year to take a chance on some big payouts. Is anyone here placing any bets on the Spurs this year?

Looks like a possibly fun year to bet on the Spurs as many sites predict us to suck but we where intentionally tanking last year and we wont be this year. That's got to be worth 5-10 wins alone and then add Victor and another year of experience for our young team and its not out of the question that adds another 5 or so.

Currently the betting odds are +750 on draftkings for the Spurs to win 40+ regular season games. Was thinking of betting $200 for a chance at a $1500 payout (if i understand the odds correctly?) for the spurs to be at or slightly under .500 this year. which i think is not completely out of line.

Anyone else considering a bet on the Spurs this year? Looks like you can bet on many things Wemby related as well. If so what bets are you considering?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I placed two small bets—my first ever—on the Spurs to win 30+ and 40+ a couple of months ago. I lose if they win 29 or fewer. The bets offset, and I break even if they win 30-39. I win both bets at 40 or more. I don't remember the exact odds, and I can't get on to check right now.

Last time I looked the odds had gotten a little better since I placed mine.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I would hammer the over of 28.5 wins pretty hard if I had any Vegas trips lined up, or lived in a state where DK wasn't banned . Alas, I do not.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have never placed a sports bet in my life but I am considering it this year as it seems like a unique year to take a chance on some big payouts. Is anyone here placing any bets on the Spurs this year?

Looks like a possibly fun year to bet on the Spurs as many sites predict us to suck but we where intentionally tanking last year and we wont be this year. That's got to be worth 5-10 wins alone and then add Victor and another year of experience for our young team and its not out of the question that adds another 5 or so.

Currently the betting odds are +750 on draftkings for the Spurs to win 40+ regular season games. Was thinking of betting $200 for a chance at a $1500 payout (if i understand the odds correctly?) for the spurs to be at or slightly under .500 this year. which i think is not completely out of line.

Anyone else considering a bet on the Spurs this year? Looks like you can bet on many things Wemby related as well. If so what bets are you considering?
    I mean just looking at our lineup from last year you can see this team was probably going to win close to 30 games. That's before we add the most hyped player in NBA history outside of one LeBron James.

As a lower bound I think Wemby is worth 6 wins. He's going to be a transformative player simply from his presence on the court and the added depth he gives us (a new starter means your bench gets a shot in the arm, usually, as players shift around).

As a higher bound I could see the Spurs getting close to .500 this year. I think a 38-46 record is probably a realistic expectation. It would be one thing if we were an aging core of vets past their peak, but that's not this team at all. It's a bunch of young hungry players who, while maybe not overflowing with ALL-NBA talent, have some really good traits that should pair well together with Wemby. This is going to be a pass-heavy offense as the ball flows from Wemby to Sochan to Jones and they're going to find openings in teams, especially those that aren't rotating well defensively.

When you consider how much air Wemby is going to occupy on the court and how much attention other teams will be forced to give him, he should give a lot of players incredible opportunities to knock down open Js and get open drives to the lane.

Jones is obviously a bit of a concern, and Collins isn't going to dominate any awards presentations, but it's a surprisingly deep, young team and when our shots are falling we're going to be capable of blowing out bad squads and hanging with the good ones.

On defense, Wemby's length and speed should give us a lot of switching flexibility and incredible help side defense. I look for teams to really target Collins in the PnR, but they can only run that so many times in a game. Vassell is going to feast with a world-class defensive big behind him and I expect KJ will be better on D this season as well as he doesn't have to shoulder all of the scoring load.

We're obviously going to have a lot of games where things just don't gel and we end up subbing Wemby out with 12 minutes+ left, but man, there is a lot of potential on the table right now without even making another move or trade. And given our glut of picks, we could definitely jump into a big trade and put a young proven gun in the lineup (hopefully at PG?), to put this team into contention sooner rather than later.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I have far fewer expectations of the Spurs relative to other years. For one, the squad is still inexperienced and is in the developmental stage. I think they may end up with 28-30 wins.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The bettor I know who is pretty deep into Vegas/analytics is taking the under

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The bettor I know who is pretty deep into Vegas/analytics is taking the under
    Let us know how much money they lose.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs had 34 wins in the 21-22 season with Dejounte as our star player and Bryn Forbes in the backcourt... This team has got to be at least as good or better, right?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Let us know how much money they lose.
    30 was the number and this fellow ain’t scared

I don’t bet except on myself

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    30 was the number and this fellow ain’t scared

I don’t bet except on myself
    Anyone who is like you describe is either a bookie and making money that way or has lost their shirt and owes all kinds of money. Taking the under at 30 is pretty stupid, so I'm guessing later. "Analytics" of Vegas sports lines. Lol.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    this just in. fan of team thinks they'll hit the over.

more at 11

what uganda do about it? Joseph Kony's Avatar
    My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    i wish i could find last years thread. plenty of the same people thought we were winning 34+ games and competing for the play in

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i wish i could find last years thread. plenty of the same people thought we were winning 34+ games and competing for the play in
    dont forget that last year's team was actually secretly very good and they just hid their power level all season. the 5-2 start was the real team

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    dont forget that last year's team was actually secretly very good and they just hid their power level all season. the 5-2 start was the real team
    always have to chuckle at the "the spurs were actually good to start the season!" takes as if a 7 ing game sample in the first month of the season means . nevermind that they got demolished in the very first game against a trash level team on our own floor

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    always have to chuckle at the "the spurs were actually good to start the season!" takes as if a 7 ing game sample in the first month of the season means . nevermind that they got demolished in the very first game against a trash level team on our own floor
    its not even that i dont think the spurs cant hit the over. they absolutely can. if you put a gun to my head and asked to me place a wager, i'd probably lean over just because id assume better health from vassell and i think even a rookie wemby trying to find his footing, will be a net positive

but the brash confidence... saying its outright stupid to bet the under, i find funny. like mentioning the under invokes just, utter disgust
    Last edited by spurraider21; 10-09-2023 at 05:41 PM.

My Team
    Seattle Supersonics
    Post Count
    its not even that i dont think the spurs cant hit the over. they absolutely can. if you put a gun to my head and asked to me place a wager, i'd probably lean over just because id assume better health from vassell and i think even a rookie wemby trying to find his footing, will be a net positive

but the brash confidence... saying its outright stupid to bet the over, i find funny. like mentioning the under invokes just, utter disgust
    I agree that it's possible but extremely unlikely and a number of things would have to go right. i'm probably being overly pessimistic in general to temper my expectations but for the Spurs to win 30+ games it means Victor is highly impactful from day one, everyone takes a step, and Spurs are relatively healthy. those are big ifs at this point and i dont see all of them happening. As much as i'd love to be wrong, I don't see Victor being an iron man and playing 65+ games

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Though it doesn't seem like a huge difference, I'm probably out if the O/U is set at 30. But at 28.5, I'm in on the over.

I say this, however, with the caveat that I don't gamble with more money than I can afford to lose and not really worry about it - so my conviction kind of rings hallow if I'm not ACTUALLY willing to put significant money at risk.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    nah they gotta suck this year. Gunning for another higher pick at next draft to add to core

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You'd have to be stupid to take the under at 30.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Maybe so
    But it looked bad for the unders last year too
    Until it didn’t

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    5-2 is a .714 win %.

So you think the Spurs were the best team in the league last year because the best team Milwaukee finished with a .707 win %

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    5-2 is a .714 win %.

So you think the Spurs were the best team in the league last year because the best team Milwaukee finished with a .707 win %

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You'd have to be stupid to take the under at 30.
    Not really. 30 is about right +- two games on either side

The Spurs are not going all out trying to win hard this year. They did little to improve the talent level of last year's team other than getting Wemby in the draft. They even said they are managing Wemby's minutes and using this year as an experimental year to see what they have. And they want to be patient in the rebuild. Any significant injury to Wemby, Sochan, Vassell, Jones or Keldon and the under is the better play. Spurs don't have a deep bench.

There is a good chance they pull Wemby if he's banged up towards the end of the year and tank to get a top draft pick and next year go all in trying to win hard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    During the SL in Vegas I placed a wager on the Spurs to win the NBA le.

I bet $10 to win $2,500.

(If they somehow make the NBA Finals I'll be hedging like crazy.)

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    smh... never place a bet on a team you root for

Thread Information