Page 5 of 70 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Another player I like and is gettable, Is Garland. Cavs can't go with just center and guards. Starting bid of Johnson, Jones and a future asset should get them thinking.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Highly unlikely, at least not yet. He would have to demand a trade imo. But ATL is currently the 10-seed in the East with an 11-15 record and clearly nowhere near contending for anything. Their roster is a mess, lacks talent like ours, and they're going nowhere anytime soon. They traded 3 FRP's for Dejounte and he hasn't moved the needle at all for them. No major Free Agents are signing there anytime soon. I really don't see any avenue for them to becoming legitimate contenders with their current roster situation and lack of draft picks.

Would gladly offer them all their picks back + one of ours or Chicago's for Trae and not think twice about it. They get a full rebuild and we get a franchise player the PG position. Too good to be true I'm sure, but that'd be my aim if I were Brian Wright.
    No way, all their picks are valuable. Unprotected picks are gold especially from a team that likely isn't going to be good.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I got to agree with Rascal for once and agree I am not touching those two unprotected picks and a really good chance of the unprotected swap being better than ATL in 2026. Especially in 2025 and hope ATL implodes and have a chance at Cooper Flagg

Less is More
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If this draft is weaker it may be better for Toronto to tank this year so they could get the pick next year. Would assume they could get out of the bottom 6 though which probably won’t happen if they blow it up

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If this draft is weaker it may be better for Toronto to tank this year so they could get the pick next year. Would assume they could get out of the bottom 6 though which probably won’t happen if they blow it up
    That honestly makes no sense. If this (2024) draft is weaker, you’d want to convey the pick, so that you can keep your 2025 pick. Conveying the pick also makes you weaker and worse for the 2024-2025 season, leading to the 2025 draft.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Keep the picks for now. Spurs are not one trade away from being respectable. There is a chance some teams will be blowing up next season, and guys like Donovan Mitc may be available.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That honestly makes no sense. If this (2024) draft is weaker, you’d want to convey the pick, so that you can keep your 2025 pick. Conveying the pick also makes you weaker and worse for the 2024-2025 season, leading to the 2025 draft.
    Can TOR unilaterally waive their protections without any compensation? Say for example if they finish 6th, don’t like the board, and would rather free up their pick (for use or trade)?

Or would there have to be some kind of pseudo trade where send them a top-55 protected SRP for them to lift protections?

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Can TOR unilaterally waive their protections without any compensation? Say for example if they finish 6th, don’t like the board, and would rather free up their pick (for use or trade)?

Or would there have to be some kind of pseudo trade where send them a top-55 protected SRP for them to lift protections?
    Do you know people who will give you free money?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Do you know people who will give you free money?
    No, but I also don’t know anyone who uses stupid ass analogies like this one.

The better analogy is that Toronto owes us money. It’s not free. They owe it. The perceived quality of players available next year versus next year (along with the flexibility that TOR gains by the pick conveying this year in terms of the trades they are available to make) are the interest rate.

Toronto can pay us in cash this year, or they can pay us next year (or the year after) with interest.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Altering protections on a pick has normally counted as an asset in a trade. For example, Charlotte would need some return to legally change their pick from top-14 protected to, say top-4 protected. However, the scenario you propose is much simpler, because it would be the Raptors trading their 2024 pick to the Spurs for their protected 2025 pick. Since we're talking about after the protections fully kick in, the pick owed to SA becomes a 2025 pick and entirely separate from the 2024 pick they didn't get because of the protections. Toronto would even be able to trade that pick away to another team if they wanted to so long as they waited until draft day to do it.

But if for some reason, SA doesn't want to take the sixth-overall pick in hopes of getting a high pick in a future year (which I can't imagine, but just playing out the scenario), they could refuse or otherwise require additional compensation.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Altering protections on a pick has normally counted as an asset in a trade. For example, Charlotte would need some return to legally change their pick from top-14 protected to, say top-4 protected. However, the scenario you propose is much simpler, because it would be the Raptors trading their 2024 pick to the Spurs for their protected 2025 pick. Since we're talking about after the protections fully kick in, the pick owed to SA becomes a 2025 pick and entirely separate from the 2024 pick they didn't get because of the protections. Toronto would even be able to trade that pick away to another team if they wanted to so long as they waited until draft day to do it.

But if for some reason, SA doesn't want to take the sixth-overall pick in hopes of getting a high pick in a future year (which I can't imagine, but just playing out the scenario), they could refuse or otherwise require additional compensation.
    So if I am understanding you correctly, if TOR had the #6 pick but wanted to go ahead and get it over with, they would offer the Spurs to trade the #6 2024 pick to the Spurs for their own 2025 (top 6 protected) pick back?

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    No, but I also don’t know anyone who uses stupid ass analogies like this one.

The better analogy is that Toronto owes us money. It’s not free. They owe it. The perceived quality of players available next year versus next year (along with the flexibility that TOR gains by the pick conveying this year in terms of the trades they are available to make) are the interest rate.

Toronto can pay us in cash this year, or they can pay us next year (or the year after) with interest.
    Stupid is to believe Toronto will even consider giving the Spurs an unprotected draft pick this year for nothing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Stupid is to believe Toronto will even consider giving the Spurs an unprotected draft pick this year for nothing.
    Stupid is obviously not understanding the scenario, and continuing to post about it (hint: that’s you).

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    even if things go south in atlanta, the extension murray signed raises their floor tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

I think the protection removal would be ‘consideration’, and half a trade, with something like you suggested, a minimum risk to convey second rounder as the other half of the trade.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All this talk about the Spurs trading up, down, to other drafts but have they ever traded a pick? I know they have moved 2nd round picks but.. well they are 2nds. When have they traded 1st round picks? And have they ever trade a first they got from another team?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    So if I am understanding you correctly, if TOR had the #6 pick but wanted to go ahead and get it over with, they would offer the Spurs to trade the #6 2024 pick to the Spurs for their own 2025 (top 6 protected) pick back?
    Yes, that's a completely viable trade. I don't know if it's fair value or if one side (Toronto if we're being real) would want something added to the pick they're getting. But it's legal without any extra compensation going back.

As far as I know, altering protections can't be done unilaterally under any cir stances. Like Toronto can't just decide their 2024 pick is now unprotected to SA. The Spurs would have to agree to it, and possibly request compensation for allowing the pick to be conveyed this year. After all, if the Raptors think a protected pick is more valuable next year than an unprotected first is this year, the Spurs might think the same. Language that gives the option for one side to defer a pick can be written into a trade, like NOP's option on the 2024/2025 LAL pick. I don't know if that can be compatible with normal protection language though. Like it's possible the Spurs and Raptors could've agreed to a trade where TOR agreed to trade an unprotected first to SAS but had the option to defer it each year for three years. I don't know that it's illegal, and I actually wonder if something like that could ever enter actual trade conventions. It has some similarities to protections, but some real differences too.
    Last edited by Chinook; 12-20-2023 at 04:05 PM.

Less is More
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You didn’t understand the post. Toronto keeps pick this year so Spurs could get the pick next year in a better draft

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You didn’t understand the post. Toronto keeps pick this year so Spurs could get the pick next year in a better draft
    We don’t know if it will be a better draft, we just know Cooper Flagg will be in it. I’m also concerned about having potentially 5 (!) FRPs in a single draft. Rather have the TOR convey now to 1) spread out the talent pipeline, and 2) not dilute the value of our individual picks for trade purposes by having them tied to one draft.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the pick doesn’t convey by 2026, does it become unprotected for 2027 or is it extinguished?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the pick doesn’t convey by 2026, does it become unprotected for 2027 or is it extinguished?
    becomes a 2026 and 2027 second rounder

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    All this talk about the Spurs trading up, down, to other drafts but have they ever traded a pick? I know they have moved 2nd round picks but.. well they are 2nds. When have they traded 1st round picks? And have they ever trade a first they got from another team?
    In back to back years, we traded FRPs John Salmons to PHI, and Leandro Barbosa to PHO.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In back to back years, we traded FRPs John Salmons to PHI, and Leandro Barbosa to PHO.

I was just looking into those trades. Salmons at pick 26 and Barbosa at pick 28. Both make you wonder. Especially since the Barbosa trade could’ve lead to David Lee… but at the end of the day this prime Spurs time so can’t be too upset about it. I can definitely see why they don’t trade their 1st anymore.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If there are too many picks in any given year I look for them to ship them out for future considerations. Good draft or bad draft, GMs always have players they fall in love with and will make an offer for a pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Thread Information