Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Does kinda seem like Vassell is quite the lynchpin holding this team together because this recent tumble really accelerated after his absence from injury. I know the LAC game was all hands on deck so granted that of course but this team looks totally adrift without Dev.

At least the Suns games show a bit of the proof of concept and hope Dev gets back to 100% soon.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Well, Brogdon left tonight's game with a hamstring strain, so he probably won't be a viable trade possibly for awhile

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Embarassing first half ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Bro, you're trying to paint him out to be a guy that just picked up a basketball for the first time. I get that there's levels in basketball but come on. I'm sure the kid has posted up plenty in his short career and has some level of understanding of angles. We've all acknowledged that he spams the call for the ball button...including plenty of times when he's not even open. But there's also just times where it makes perfect sense to get him the ball and the pass just isn't made for whatever reason.

Unacceptable given the caliber of prospect he is compared to the rest of the guys.
    I don't disagree here. That's why a good coach sits down with everyone and figures out how to make the connections work. Like sit down in the film room with the guys and show what good opportunities are and how to create them. Victor is trying to adjust to NBA ball, and that's harder than a lot of folks want to believe. There are openings he thinks are there than aren't. There are moves he thinks he can make that he can't. Him working on identifying those things will really help ease his sense of mind. Along those lines, Pop needs to get guys in a film room to figure out how to get the players to understand when certain conditions require a pass to Wemby and what to do when Wemby has good position but is losing it. Like they should take time each practice throwing contested lobs to Wemby as trainers push him around with foam boards. They should also work on all aspects of entry passing. They should have Wemby wear a blindfold and pivot around while guys run around him and try to snatch the ball out of his hands.

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Also, there is still no one on this team trying to attack the paint via the dribble. The offense is gonna keep being til that changes. It is repeatedly, repeatedly, repeatedly said that Wemby can handle like a guard...

Defense is a lost cause because no speed or athleticism, on top of IQ stuff.

Edit: I wish I could be a fly on the wall in practice and film sessions. It seems like they don't actually do any game prep besides unorganized shoot-arounds.
    Last edited by tim_duncan_fan; 11-09-2023 at 01:00 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    After last years 10.1 average margin differential, Spurs are suffering another league leading 12.5 pts per game deficit. That’s including their three wins. New level of futility by the goat coach

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They suck on defense, so Brunson's 40 won't matter. Wemby should absolutely feast.
    this didn't age well

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    tre jones defence has become worst the last few games.....Dude cant shoot or play decent d....Hes a big reason
    why we suking along with not rebounding
    That's why he isn't an NBA starter. The extreme dislike for Sochan, who does both way better, remains puzzling.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the meantime Lonnie Walker led the Nets with 21 pts last night over the Clips. Lonnie has been averaging 15 pts coming off the bench for the Nets this season averaging 43.8% from 3pt

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    off topic but i havent really paid much attention to Scoot and the Blazers and just checked on his stats so far. holy did we really luck out getting the #1 pick I know it's only been a few games and he will improve but his numbers are abysmal right now - 8.8ppg/4.5apg/2.2rpg on 34% shooting (9% from three ) with 4 TOs and 4 fouls per game. going about as bad as it can for him so far
    I don't think the Spurs would have drafted him. If he were the expected pick, I think they trade back. The thing that would have put them off would have been the fact that he did not dominate in a minor league, and in fact didn't improve year over year. He was just basically marking time to being drafted. That wouldn't be the work ethic and drive the Spurs would be looking for.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    In the meantime Lonnie Walker led the Nets with 21 pts last night over the Clips. Lonnie has been averaging 15 pts coming off the bench for the Nets this season averaging 43.8% from 3pt
    Shooting has never been Lonnie's problem. He doesn't finish at a high level, and plays atrocious defense, which is likely why he is coming off the bench.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The problem is people here generally tend to think that adding Wemby to essentially last year's roster guarantees the Spurs should be an 8th seed or at least the playin. Spurs jettisoned experienced players on last year's roster and there are only 2 veterans: Osman and McDermott. I don't think Pop sees winning as the primary goal right now. I think he sees this as a time to experiment and see what works and what doesn't work and evaluate the type of player they need. If they want to win games, they can be active trading for more experienced players, but I don't think they want to trade young guys and then have those players get to a better situation and do better and then regret not being more patient.

If you put Wemby on that Robinson team with Rod Strickland, Terry Porter, Willie Anderson (an underrated lop thrower), and another lottery pick in Sean Elliott, he'd be having a much easier time scoring. Same with if you paired him with Mario Ellie, Avery Johnson, David Robinson, Antonio Daniels, and Steve Kerr. That's unique that number one draft picks show up with rosters that are win now rosters. Mostly, first overall picks go to horrible offenses/defenses, and that is the case here. Early blow out losses are normal and this team will continue to improve. I don't think Pop cares about losing by 40 points right now and if the Spurs panicked and started looking to trade, they'd get crap offers. I think they just ride it out and see how things go and wait for the right deals to come into place.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Wemby looks for "advantageous position" too much. As I said, guys are out there running actions to get open threes, and Wemby is completely separated from the other four guys calling for the ball.
    How do you know where he was supposed to be? Do you have access to the Spurs playbook? For all you know, he's told to go out there and freestyle. Isn't that pretty much what Pop has indicated?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anybody have any stats for Coaches Challenges (times challenged, success rate, etc.) from the last few years?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Anybody have any stats for Coaches Challenges (times challenged, success rate, etc.) from the last few years?
    Victor had to beg pop to use one during the Houston game when he got called for offensive interference

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'll believe it when i see it. Just saying you are reaching very high and I don't think that's realistic given our history of attracting any big free agents in their prime. (Don't even say Aldrige!)
    oh i don't see it happening either, but i mean, it is not outside of logic.

Thread Information