Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's why I specifically named "inexpensive quality role players" who won't demand the salaries that VanVleet and Brooks did. Wright and Burks are both nonstarters. Neither would possibly demand the $40mil yearly salary that VanVleet does. Spurs might be able to get both for less than Brooks's yearly salary of about $20mil.
    You are trying to say Houston got better because of wright and Burks?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    New Coach

Believe.
    Post Count
    Starting to feel more and more that a lot of the Spurs problems could be solved with a couple of moves:

1) Trade Keldon
    2) Move Sochan to the bench
    3) Acquire a starting-caliber PG or a young player worth developing into a starting caliber PG (Ivey perhaps?)
    4) Move Devin to SF

I would try to do this:

1) Trade Keldon + CHA pick to DET for Jaden Ivey
    2) Move Sochan to the bench unit
    3) Starting 5 becomes Ivey, Bran, Devin, Wemby, Collins
    4) Ivey is a good fit because he could develop into a starting caliber PG, or if you have an opportunity to draft one of the top PG prospects in the draft, Ivey can slide to the 2 and send Bran back to the bench

Biggest concern here is that if leaves a hole at the SG position off the bench, but perhaps Graham can fill some of those minutes.

New Rotation:

Ivey/Tre/Blake
    Bran/Graham/Blake
    Devin/Cedi/Doug/Champ
    Wemby/Sochan/Cedi/Mamu
    Collins/Bassey/Mamu
    in addition to getting Ivey, I like moving Zach out of the starting lineup and just playing Wemby at his proper position. If Chet can manage it with his size, I’m confident Wemby should be able to too.

i really like:

Ivey / Bran / Ves / Sochan / Wemby

Here is my potential trade for Ivey that I think might be good enough for pistons to pry him away:

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    in addition to getting Ivey, I like moving Zach out of the starting lineup and just playing Wemby at his proper position. If Chet can manage it with his size, I’m confident Wemby should be able to too.

i really like:

Ivey / Bran / Ves / Sochan / Wemby

Here is my potential trade for Ivey that I think might be good enough for pistons to pry him away:

Way too much to give up. Jaden can't crack the rotation on a losing team but you want him to start? Nothing to replace Keldon's production on a team that desperately needs a number 1 scoring option. Wiseman cannot be resigned either.

I like Ivey. So its not that I'm not open to it but Keldon becomes more expendable when we have a more cohesive roster with better scoring.

Your trade doesn't make the team better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Pg hole is definitely glaring

Believe.
    Post Count
    Way too much to give up. Jaden can't crack the rotation on a losing team but you want him to start? Nothing to replace Keldon's production on a team that desperately needs a number 1 scoring option. Wiseman cannot be resigned either.

I like Ivey. So its not that I'm not open to it but Keldon becomes more expendable when we have a more cohesive roster with better scoring.

Your trade doesn't make the team better.
    A lot of scouts thought he was the best in class the year he was drafted. And he actually had a good first year. Look at his percentages. And he has all nba potential still. You aren’t going to get him cheap. That’s not too much to give up at all to perhaps get someone who can eventually drive and score at will and set the table finally for Wemby.

Yeah I mean it sucks what we have to give up, but guys like him don’t fall into this weird situation with a team that often. We have Monty to thank for this opportunity.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Rather just draft our starting pg with our first. If we stay bottom 6 we can probably get our guy (Topic, Collier, Castle? - whoever the braintrust likes). Then address our other holes - Defense/overall talent level. Maybe sign OG to a Max this summer? Save a Keldon trade for next years deadline, package him and a bunch of picks for a star who fits what our team will need.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biggest need for the present: someone to tell the team to stop sagging down into the paint and leaving shooters wide open. Do that one thing and the Spurs suddenly start winning more games than they lose.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think the Spurs should see if they can't sneak in and grab OG during the deadline, especially if the price isn't much more than say Keldon and their pick back. That's both so that the Spurs would have way more options if they could go into the next season above the cap and use Bird rights and exceptions and because if OG walks, the Spurs would actually have a path toward a max slot if they could dump that salary. So its downside is not terrible, even if the top plan would obviously be to not lose the guy.

Yes, though, they need a top perimeter defender so that Wemby can actually shine. It would be nice for them to run good defenders at every other position, but their lack of competent perimeter D is sinking them. No matter what folks here want to say about Sochan, he has work to do to even be decent there.
    i love OG as an on-court fit. the concern is what kind of contract he'd be looking at. we had a dedicated thread discussing OG as a player to offer a max at next offseason.

https://www.spurstalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=302344

otoh, philly is going to be a team with a lot of spending power next offseason, and i could see him being a target of theirs
    Last edited by spurraider21; 11-13-2023 at 02:17 PM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We need upgrades at some point that move KJ and Sochan to the bench to play the 3 &4 respectively. I'd also like to see a young C out of this draft (Filipowski?).

The issue is there aren't many PG's or SF's on other rosters that would be an upgrade that are gettable. I've seen Ivey mentioned and he might be a possibility, but there's not much else. If you can think of someone I'd love to hear it. I don't mean stopgap guys either, but rather guys who have a chance to be SL caliber players. The same holds for SF's. Who gettable at that position?

The draft might have a couple guys in that 6-15 range that 'could' be the right fit.. ideally I'd like a lineup like this-

PG- New Player/ Tre
    SG- Devin/Branham
    SF- New Player/KJ
    PF- Wembanyama/ Sochan
    C- Collins/Filipowski (or other college pick)

Emperor Duncan>>>>>King James tim_duncan_fan's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Domineering/demanding/commanding point guard who can also shoot the 3
    Tall rebounding shot-blocking defensive big

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't know what's worse, thinking a 5th overall pick, 1.5 years removed, with no indication (despite Williams inexplicably limiting his role) he's on the way to being a bust, could be had for Johnson and minor draft capital or thinking that the Spurs offering that would be too much.

The reality is, unless the Pistons do something stupid like decide to accelerate their timeline by offering Ivey and expiring's for a "star" like LaVine, it's too early to make a determination because his value is unclear with a relatively small sample size.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs don't need anything right now. They only need to figure out the best way to utilize Wemby and who's who on the roster. They're not a good team right now and they can't be because they can't shoot and can't defend. I imagine in a couple of years there'll be like 3 or 4 players from the current roster on the team.

Figure yourself out, optimize your future picks and keep Wemby engaged and happy. The record doesn't matter right now.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Biggest needs are elite passing and elite rebounding. Could be the same player. Jokic, anyone?
    A couple of above average defenders would help, too. I'm hoping for a playmaker and a rebounder in the draft, along with some good luck between our possible extra picks. Probably find a defensive piece or two over the summer.

As I watch this team more, I really think Pop is letting them figure things out which is admirable, in the long run. He's not making it easy for them, though, the talent might not be there anyway.

I do believe they will have some transformations as the season goes on, but, will likely be in the lottery once again when all is said and done. Wemby will be ROY unless something really strange or unfortunate happens. I think Pop will allow him just enough room to win it, but, keep it kind of close.

A tall, elite passer could get Wemby 40-50 pts on a good night. We are going to have to wait on that, though.

Thread Information