Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Oh yeah still a below 30% career 3 point shooter is impressive.
    Chip wasn't with him his whole career Numby.
    That's the point, he % went up substantially with Chip.
    He's fighting a potential bogus lawsuit. Not every player is as souless and unaffected as Kombe Bryant in lawsuits.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Didn't the Spurs just hire a shooting coach that is pretty well respected and half the age of Chip? He shot something like better 3 point percentage when he was in college than Curry.
    He was taking to much credit from pop
    He had to go

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sochan is shooting 47% from the 3 without Chip.
    And most if not all of Vassell’s growth has been without Chip.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Chip wasn't with him his whole career Numby.
    That's the point, he % went up substantially with Chip.
    He's fighting a potential bogus lawsuit. Not every player is as souless and unaffected as Kombe Bryant in lawsuits.
    Yes improved greatly from 26% to an impressive 30% three point shooter Numby and hasn't improved one bit so far this year

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wemby's shot is getting worse.
    Less and less arch and release way too fast for a player almost impossible to block

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Less and less arch and release way too fast for a player almost impossible to block
    Still receiving the ball at horrible times.
    Today he was wide open at the top of the key. Complete breakdown by Chicagos D. Tre had the ball and clearly waved off Wemby twice. Wemby slapped his hands together in disgust.
    After force feeding Zollins, the ball came back to Wemby but by now the defense had closed. Wemby forced up a brick.

Bad shot. While it was Wemby bad decsion to chuck it, an even worse decistion by Tre to ignore him.

I'd love to see what % Wemby would shoot treys with a competent team and coach. If he still bricks 26% shoot me. I propose it would rise to at least 35% with a real team and coach.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Game will continue to slow down for him. Even Durant shot 28% from 3 his rookie season. He still has an excellent form and stance. Just seems like everything is short right now.
    Last edited by Ditty; 12-09-2023 at 01:17 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I want to say a great shooting coach like Chip might help, but due to the size of his hands/the type of release he has (palming the ball alot of the time), I'm not sure it'll ever be pretty. The best you can ask for is consistency, though - which we're currently missing.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Zero ing confidence in his 3 right now. He desperately needs to see one go in.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not talking about his efficiency or solely his 3pts, I'm talking about his form.

Not only there's less arch (lower %) but he's releasing the ball faster (my impression at least) than before

It's just surprising, as he's getting better in every other areas of his game

Forum Official Personal Life Coach BacktoBasics's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Still receiving the ball at horrible times.
    Today he was wide open at the top of the key. Complete breakdown by Chicagos D. Tre had the ball and clearly waved off Wemby twice. Wemby slapped his hands together in disgust.
    After force feeding Zollins, the ball came back to Wemby but by now the defense had closed. Wemby forced up a brick.

Bad shot. While it was Wemby bad decsion to chuck it, an even worse decistion by Tre to ignore him.

I'd love to see what % Wemby would shoot treys with a competent team and coach. If he still bricks 26% shoot me. I propose it would rise to at least 35% with a real team and coach.
    Oh here we go. You’re so brilliant that you’ve graduated from the checkers that is ing about Sochan to the elite chess game that Tre is the next pg.

Pronouns: Your/Dad TheGreatYacht's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This shooting coach is legitimately going to stunt Victor’s growth. What a disaster from the front office and ownership to not keep the best shooting coach in the league knowing development is more important than ever.

Tonight

Chip’s Thunder: 18/38 (47.4%) from three
    Spurs: 5/41 (12.2%) from three

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The fact Wemby is shooting 3's at all...is another sign of Bad Coaching.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This shooting coach is legitimately going to stunt Victor’s growth. What a disaster from the front office and ownership to not keep the best shooting coach in the league knowing development is more important than ever.

Tonight

Chip’s Thunder: 18/38 (47.4%) from three
    Spurs: 5/41 (12.2%) from three
    What are you going to do? Tie him up, and throw him in the basement? His contract was obviously up, and he didn't seem down for the tank.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The fact Wemby is shooting 3's at all...is another sign of Bad Coaching.
    Nah it'll probably be part of his game long term. The fact that he shoots over 80% from the line shows he should probably develop into a reasonable three point shooter. The long Curry threes early in the shot clock are what drive me nuts, but thankfully he shoots them a lot less now. Still gotta work on him squaring up properly though. I wouldn't write off his three point shot this early. Dirk shot 20.6% from the three as a 20 year old rookie.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nah it'll probably be part of his game long term. The fact that he shoots over 80% from the line shows he should probably develop into a reasonable three point shooter. The long Curry threes early in the shot clock are what drive me nuts, but thankfully he shoots them a lot less now. Still gotta work on him squaring up properly though. I wouldn't write off his three point shot this early. Dirk shot 20.6% from the three as a 20 year old rookie.
    yep. the 3 point shot is going to be a part of his game, but it should be the changeup, not his fastball.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    5ft behind the 3pt line is about the only spot in the court where his teammates can find him regularly without turning it over tbh

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    5ft behind the 3pt line is about the only spot in the court where his teammates can find him regularly without turning it over tbh

Rack it.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not writing off his ability to shoot 3's. I'm criticizing the fact he's shooting threes at all...whether he can make them or not. I'm not interested in making him a "better" 3 point shooter...I want him to stop shooting them completely.

There are a lot of guys on this team...the majority, in fact...that can shoot 3's, and shoot them better than Wemby. How many guys on this team are 7'4" and can literally dominate inside? Wemby should never be more than 18' from the basket at any time. Moving him away from the basket is like, beyond stupid.

Not only should he not be taking 3's in transition, he should never (ok, rarely) be floating out to the 3 point line in half court at all. That's not where a 7'4" generational player should be. Even if just clearing out a lane for someones drive, he don't need to go past the 3 point line. Just like Tre shouldn't be trying to dominate the inside. That's not where Tre should be, whether he could rebound and score inside or not...which he can't. And I don't want to spend time making him a better inside player. He's...not...7'4". Only one guy on the team is. I would fine Victor for not just taking a 3, but being outside the 3 point line at anytime during a possession.

The fact he spends so much time there now...is Bad Coaching. And part of a myriad of terrible coaching moves. And if we had chip, I'd want him to work on that 18' shot that Dirk had. Nobody in the league could stop that...and nobody could stop Wemby if he had that same shot. That's something he really could do. And I betcha Chip woulda stayed just to develop that for WEmby.

Unless...the plan for tanking the season is the overriding goal. "Wemby, take all the 3's you want!" Becomes a great coaching decision. But, know it for what it is. Wemby taking 3's is stupid, unless tanking is the plan-du-jour.
    Last edited by SouthernFryd; 12-12-2023 at 08:51 PM.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm not writing off his ability to shoot 3's. I'm criticizing the fact he's shooting threes at all...whether he can make them or not. I'm not interested in making him a "better" 3 point shooter...I want him to stop shooting them completely.

There are a lot of guys on this team...the majority, in fact...that can shoot 3's, and shoot them better than Wemby. How many guys on this team are 7'4" and can literally dominate inside? Wemby should never be more than 18' from the basket at any time. Not only should he not be taking 3's in transition, he should never (ok, rarely) be floating out to the 3 point line in half court at all. That's not where a 7'4" generational player should be. Just like Tre shouldn't be trying to dominate the inside. That's not where Tre should be, whether he could rebound and score inside or not...which he can't. And I don't want to spend time making him a better inside player. He's...not...7'4". Only one guy on the team is. I would fine him for not just taking a 3, but being outside the 3 point line at anytime during a possession.

The fact he spends so much time there now...is Bad Coaching. Plain and simple.
    Disagree, he could be pretty devastating shooting threes off the pick and roll and it would always be a nice option at the end of the shot clock on a broken play. Bad coaching would be insisting he has to be Tim Duncan on the block when he'll never have the combination of strength and lower center of gravity to be able to be that guy. The target will probably be for him to play a lot like Nowitzki on the offensive end. Post him a few times a game when you get a mismatch you like but Wemby ain't gonna be the guy you just call 4 down for every time down the floor.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't ever want Wemby, our 7'4" generational phenom, more than 18' from the basket. Ever. Yeah, he can develop a great Dirk-like shot. Nobody will be able to block it. Great plan. But, he can get 20 rebounds and 5 blocks a game too, unlike Dirk..STAYING near the basket, not the 3 point line. Screw a pick n roll at the 3 point line to open up a Wemby 3...lol. Well, unless you're tanking...or up 50.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Disagree, he could be pretty devastating shooting threes off the pick and roll and it would always be a nice option at the end of the shot clock on a broken play. Bad coaching would be insisting he has to be Tim Duncan on the block when he'll never have the combination of strength and lower center of gravity to be able to be that guy. The target will probably be for him to play a lot like Nowitzki on the offensive end. Post him a few times a game when you get a mismatch you like but Wemby ain't gonna be the guy you just call 4 down for every time down the floor.
    and if some re tries to guard dirk with michael finley, dirk could decide to either back his ass down, or just shoot over the top since he couldnt make a contest. same with wemby. if teams try defending him with a small, if he's close enough, he can just rise up over them. but its a weird possession if he just catches and shoots a 19 footer over a 6'5 guard.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't ever want Wemby, our 7'4" generational phenom, more than 18' from the basket. Ever. Yeah, he can develop a great Dirk-like shot. Nobody will be able to block it. Great plan. But, he can get 20 rebounds and 5 blocks a game too, unlike Dirk..STAYING near the basket, not the 3 point line. Screw a pick n roll at the 3 point line to open up a Wemby 3...lol. Well, unless you're tanking...or up 50.
    why does him being more than 18' from the basket on offense prevent him from getting 5 blocks a game on defense?

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    why does him being more than 18' from the basket on offense prevent him from getting 5 blocks a game on defense?
    Yeah, Wemby has proven he can block an occasional 3 point shot, and that's cool. But, he can block a of a lot more shots being closer to the basket. He's proven that as well
    Last edited by SouthernFryd; 12-13-2023 at 07:17 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, Wemby has proven he can block an occasional 3 point shot, and that's cool. But, he can block a of a lot more shots being closer to the basket. He's proven that as well
    Teams don't attack the basket when he's in drop coverage. That's clear the last two games. Both Vooch and Sengun passed the ball away every time he was covering them after a swat or two.

Thread Information