Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I know that!...........but its the fact that he fell that far and we could have snagged him. BUT!!! as mentioned, we would have probably missed out on Wemby because Haliburton would have definitely made the Spurs better.
    On top of that it is not like they did not get good value out of Vassell

My Team
    Milwaukee Bucks
    Post Count
    brian wright was hired on diversity not merit..........plz see his detroit pistons draft classes for reference.........

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don’t like the “wouldn’t have drafted wemby” argument. PATFO didn’t not draft Halliburton because they knew they will win the lottery with a 14% chance for wemby. Nobody did. If they wanted to tank so bad they could’ve just sat haliburton for some mysterious ailments and get it done.
    They probably wouldn't have been tanking if they had a guy like Halliburton to build around. Would have kept Poeltl, would have kept Derrick White, and maybe traded Murray for vets instead of picks. If we're going to retcon with hindsight I'll do the same and say I'd rather have Victor than Tyrese.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    You’re absolutely 100% wrong on this point. Winning 10 more games makes your chances at Wemby drop off a cliff.
    You're right it was 5 more games we could have won and still be in the 3rd spot which won the lottery. Haliburton missed 26 games last year. Pulling him in the 4th quarter like Pop did most of the year with anyone worth a would have accomplished the tank. Even so, you don't pass on a Haliburton on the off chance that you can get Wemby 4 years later.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Definitely flash>sengun hurts . We had murray and spurs really loved vassell so it could be worse

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If the Spurs would have been smarter/luckier and taken Haliburton, and been smarter/luckier and taken at least 5 or 6 players over Primo, they probably would have never drafted Wemby. That's very true.

Now that we have the Centerpiece for the franchise, Brian Wright needs to get things right from here on out. No more wasted picks, no more 6 year plan. Things have changed dramatically and I'm not sure the FO, nor Pop, have shifted the focus yet to being more urgent. If I have a critique of the Spurs' current management and process its that sometimes they wait too long to watch things evolve and make things happen. I'm really curious to see how they massage the roster now that it's been established that this current group can't give Wemby what he needs to be successful. I think urgency is the operative word and I'm not seeing it yet.

But I'll also credit the FO in that they structured some good future growth potential and assets for rebuilding. This next 10 months or so they should start cashing some of those chips they've stockpiled.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, that's a good explanation which makes me feel better about skippin over Haliburton.
    So you'd rather have Haliburton than Wembanyama ?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Its a dumb what if, but still fun to think about how Haliburton could feed Wemby ...
    There is no way we could get Wembanyama with Haliburton drafted by the Spurs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    There is no way we could get Wembanyama with Haliburton drafted by the Spurs.
    That is why I said it is a dumb what if ... still, there is a parallel universe where both Haliburton and Wemby play for the Spurs

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yeah, using the luck out on Wemby as a justification for any previous miscalculation is kinda weird. Using this logic, some might say the Spurs actually liked other players over Sochan and only chose him because he could help the tank... which of course is 100% untrue.
    I don’t think it’s justification so much as pointing out the obvious, that if we’d have drafted Sengun and Hali, we would not have Wemby. Even with a stellar year from Hali, Indy is a bottom half playoff team, and could easily slip into the play in. Both players have pluses, but are much more floor raisers than ceiling raisers. Houston is a lottery team, even with their FA money splash. I’m not sure these are players worth crying over.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Who? I've never heard of this guy, and I've never seen anyone suggest the Spurs should have drafted him, muchless anyone crying about how good he is every time he has a good game.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That is why I said it is a dumb what if ... still, there is a parallel universe where both Haliburton and Wemby play for the Spurs
    Not bloody likely.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs could have definitely still won the lottery if they took Haliburton instead of Vassell. The Pacers were a much better team overall than us last season and that wasn't solely because of him. Spurs could have picked him and likely would have sucked ass regardless. Would he have developed the same though? That is highly questionable tbh. Pop would have had him playing as a PF or some

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they pick Halliburton, they don’t get Wemby, period. Indy completely failed in their tank, picking 8th last draft. Hali raised their floor too high, and he would have raised ours, too.
    this is pretty much my thought process when i think of these last few drafts. im glad we got wemby so i won't complain about those.
    anything different like getting sengun instead of primo, halliburton instead of vassell, keeping derrick etc.

everything that happened probably needed to happen just the way it did for us to get wemby.

but now moving forward i hope we can make the correct selections.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why did they hire Wright?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs should've taken Scoot so this site could have a mass exodus.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vassell may not be showing as much as Haliburton but he's not a miss either. Thing is, watching the Pelicans game while I might add Vassell started clanking his three point attempts later in the game, I was particularly galled thinking about how instead of drafting Primo or even Sengun, it would have been nice to have reached for either Trey Murphy or if you are set on an Alabama player, Herb Jones who were both stroking it from three that night. BTW, Jones play some D too which would be an interesting concept for the Spurs to try.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    If they pick Halliburton, they don’t get Wemby, period. Indy completely failed in their tank, picking 8th last draft. Hali raised their floor too high, and he would have raised ours, too.
    Pop would have sat him. Spurs were all in for the tank.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vassell may not be showing as much as Haliburton but he's not a miss either. Thing is, watching the Pelicans game while I might add Vassell started clanking his three point attempts later in the game, I was particularly galled thinking about how instead of drafting Primo or even Sengun, it would have been nice to have reached for either Trey Murphy or if you are set on an Alabama player, Herb Jones who were both stroking it from three that night. BTW, Jones play some D too which would be an interesting concept for the Spurs to try.
    That's one of the reasons I'm up on Dunn from UVa. He's a beast defensively, like Thybulle, but he actually has a decent offensive game. His st-ocks total 5.6, 2.8 steals, 2.8 blks.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Word came out Haliburton's reps were telling a lot of teams not to draft him if they didn't see a good situation. Good chance Spurs were one of those teams because they had Murray and White at the time, but in saying that, the Kings were a basket case with Fox on the roster.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The real mistake was trading both our home grown point guards. I understand DeJounte but we should have kept White. We could have possibly still landed Wemby with White on the team as he wouldn't have raised our teams ceiling that much alone. We would have a competent home grown defensive vet point guard to pair with Wemby.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    The real mistake was trading both our home grown point guards. I understand DeJounte but we should have kept White. We could have possibly still landed Wemby with White on the team as he wouldn't have raised our teams ceiling that much alone. We would have a competent home grown defensive vet point guard to pair with Wemby.
    It appears trading to tank is easier than trading to build.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    That's one of the reasons I'm up on Dunn from UVa. He's a beast defensively, like Thybulle, but he actually has a decent offensive game. His st-ocks total 5.6, 2.8 steals, 2.8 blks.
    i got to see dunn in action when UVA played A&M and he is a beast on the defensive end.

Out with the old... Obstructed_View's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Why did they hire Wright?
    Re ed take. His draft picks have been excellent. Pointing out one player he missed on several years and two teams after the fact is idiotic.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    spurs were going for home runs and struck out in the last 3 or 4 draft years. Lets not forget the luka miss.... all the experts were wondering what the the spurs were doing..and they were right.. kawai was the last gem..

Thread Information