Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I am huge on Topic.....unfortunately, I saw a mock that had Detroit drafting him at 1. That would really piss me off if that happened.

I also like Sarr, but I would take Topic over him.

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This all depends on whether Troy Weaver is a smart GM or a dumb GM. If he's a smart GM, he recognizes that Cade is best either off ball or getting unloaded altogether and ends up drafting Topic and turns the franchise around. If he's a dumb GM, you convince him that the Pistons are terrible not because of Cade, but because they don't have enough defense and spacing on the wings surrounding Cade so you trade him the Spurs and Raptors picks so he can take Risacher and Ja'Kobe Walter who provide exactly that. Obviously I'm hoping he's a dumb GM but I can't be sure yet.
    Hope so, but even a dumb GM has to recognize Cade isn't worth a max contract much less the opportunity cost of missing a chance to take another chance in the lottery and you get a cheap contract who should have a great chance to be better than Cade.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Where are the spurs on the dumbass GM scale? I was scared they weren’t going to make vw #1. Be honest did that cross your mind. 2024 mock draft is a crap shoot with our guy.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Little disappointing to hear so many say "I'm not worried about defense."

Can Defense be taught? Of course. So can basically all the issues the Spurs are having right now...passing, defense, rebounding, spacing, BBIQ, etc... They aren't being taught now, so what makes you think they are going to be taught later?

I love Topic...except for his D. Which looks bad. Tony Parker had bad D. But, Manu, Duncan, Bowen, etc...all had good D and made up for Tony's bad D. Is that the route you think will happen if we take Topic? I don't see anyone on the Spurs coaching Staff focusing on D. We have, literally, NO ONE that plays D, except Wemby. And Wemby's is almost by default. He's so big, just lifting his arms is great D. I don't know why people say Vassell plays good D. I've watching all the games this year, and his D is absolutely horrible. Any great team probably has room for 1 poor defender. The Spurs had Tony. If we get Topic, then we got Vassell and Topic as bad defenders...and that's "if" we get rid of all the other bad defenders.

So...I don't think we should ignore D. Does that mean we don't take TOPIC. I dunno...

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Little disappointing to hear so many say "I'm not worried about defense."

Can Defense be taught? Of course. So can basically all the issues the Spurs are having right now...passing, defense, rebounding, spacing, BBIQ, etc... They aren't being taught now, so what makes you think they are going to be taught later?

I love Topic...except for his D. Which looks bad. Tony Parker had bad D. But, Manu, Duncan, Bowen, etc...all had good D and made up for Tony's bad D. Is that the route you think will happen if we take Topic? I don't see anyone on the Spurs coaching Staff focusing on D. We have, literally, NO ONE that plays D, except Wemby. And Wemby's is almost by default. He's so big, just lifting his arms is great D. I don't know why people say Vassell plays good D. I've watching all the games this year, and his D is absolutely horrible. Any great team probably has room for 1 poor defender. The Spurs had Tony. If we get Topic, then we got Vassell and Topic as bad defenders...and that's "if" we get rid of all the other bad defenders.

So...I don't think we should ignore D. Does that mean we don't take TOPIC. I dunno...
    This is a good thought and defense is a consideration, but right now in the league there is are exactly 2 guys who are both good defensively and elite offensive creators: SGA and LeBron. I think much like you can stomach an offensively limited center who can anchor your defense, you can also stomach a defensively limited point guard who can anchor your entire offense. Obviously in the ideal scenario you have great 2 way players at both positions like SGA/Chet, but if you have a creator who you can potentially build your offense around, you don't pass on that just because of defensive concerns. Would you rather build around Haliburton or Derrick White on this team? From an efficient team building perspective I think that Haliburton is the clear answer.

Additionally, Topic's size makes him much less easily hunted in a playoff setting than a smaller guy like say Trae Young. Finally, as I said, we don't know that Topic is necessarily going to be terrible on defense as many defensive liabilities get better on defense as they get older.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes to more Europeans. Kind of fed up with the ball American kids play.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Yes to more Europeans. Kind of fed up with the ball American kids play.
    For this reason alone I am heavily biased against guys from G league ignite. Not to say they're undraftable or untalented or anything, but it's clear that they play with absolutely no stakes, team structure, or team defense being played. I just don't think you can make appropriate assessments about how they'll perform as pros when it's essentially more AAU ball. The guys they're playing against might be more talented but the defense being played against them is certainly not comparable to Europe or even high level D1 NCAA.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    They have to pretend they love Cunningham but if Detroit can get pick #1 I could definitely see them draft Topic and shop Cunningham to the Spurs or Wizards if it can get them a pick to land Sarr.
    It's not as simple as that. They're known for having "too many cooks in the kitchen" (Gores supposedly wanted Williams, Tellem wanted Collins and Weaver wanted Ollie).

If Doncic was a tough sell as a #1 pick, Topic will likely be even more so.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

If Doncic was a tough sell as a #1 pick, Topic will likely be even more so.

I think Doncic being a tough sell at #1 and then flourishing will probably be the reason/cautionary tale for why Topic won't be viewed as a tough sell. That, plus Sengun putting up big numbers as a teen in Europe, and those numbers translating.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Detroit is not going to take another guard in this draft as there fan base will destroy them if they do. If they get number 1 I think they take the highest potential which would be Sarr and the second would be Buzelis

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I think Doncic being a tough sell at #1 and then flourishing will probably be the reason/cautionary tale for why Topic won't be viewed as a tough sell. That, plus Sengun putting up big numbers as a teen in Europe, and those numbers translating.
    This. Pretty much any player who dominates grown men at 18 in a decent European league will be viewed differently than they would have, pre Doncic.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    huge News, that’s where Topic will secure a top 3 pick if he plays Well. And if he dominates the euroLeague then he could be the first pick imo.

about Red Star they’re not really good this Year With 6 w and 10 L in euroLeague, they have teodosic at the point who just had a 27 pts 14 assists game in EL, they also have old spurs fan favourite adam hanga 🤣, Joël bolomboy or mike tobey.

the Level will be totally different for topic in EL, will be really interesting to see How much and How he will play in those games.
    Last edited by duncan2150; 12-26-2023 at 08:50 AM.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice post, a few extra tidbits:

- I will take with a huge grain of salt his measurements. He was reportedly measured at 6'6" without shoes, with a 7' wingspan and a 8'2.5" standing reach at a basketball without border camp that happened in Utah in March 2023. These numbers make no sense. You can look at thousands of players measured through the year and you won't find one with that size/wingspan and a standing reach that short. At least one of these 3 numbers is false.
    Personally, I don't buy at all the 7' wingspan. His arms don't look that long and it's very unusual for white players to have that kind of wingspan/height ratio.

- Topic has scored 18.6 ppg this season and his scoring breakdown is the following:
    • 10.2 ppg in the paint
    • 0.6 ppg from 2s outside the paint
    • 3.9 ppg from 3's (closer line than in the NBA and with a 28.8 3P%)
    • 3.9 ppg from the free throw line
    His offense is coming from the paint and there is a true question mark on whether or it will translate to the NBA. It's a big reason why he isn't higher on mock drafts currently despite all his qualities.
    I find that he has a good combination of size, quickness and craftiness to score inside at he NBA level. However, if he can't improve his jumpshot and develop a floater, I fear he will be too predictable to be successful against the more athletic NBA players.

- Topic's dad is a former high level basketball player. I like prospects that are coming from basektball families because it often translates into players that easily coachable and have a high BBIQ.

- It's great that he is leaving Mega to get back to Red Star. It will answer some doubts on his game. Right now, I think Topic is a fine prospect for the Raptors pick (if Spurs get it) but not for the Spurs' one. If he does well in Euroleague/ABA playoffs, he will be a legitimate candidate for Spurs' projected top 6 pick.

Member of Wembyland CorrectCrusader's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Man he's ugly, lucky he can play ball lmao

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    For this reason alone I am heavily biased against guys from G league ignite. Not to say they're undraftable or untalented or anything, but it's clear that they play with absolutely no stakes, team structure, or team defense being played. I just don't think you can make appropriate assessments about how they'll perform as pros when it's essentially more AAU ball. The guys they're playing against might be more talented but the defense being played against them is certainly not comparable to Europe or even high level D1 NCAA.
    The Ignite have struggled a lot this year, and someone put forth the theory that the 3rd 2way contract added last summer may have been a tipping point, that with 30 more nba or near nba players added to the mix, their supposed talent edge would dissipate. 90 two ways, plus draft pick assignees would make for better compe ion going forward, although few teams run a system or play D.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He'll get ruined just like the rest of them tbh

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could be and I considered as much, but it's likely team related.

For instance, I don't see the Pistons being that team, but I could see the Bulls, Craptors or Jazz being it.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I’m sorry, there is no way the guy has a 7ft wingspan. Dont think he has TRex arms or anything, but just looks average. Dont doubt his bbiq potential, but let’s hits the breaks— dude is still 18. Think most important thing is being generally smart and coachable so that when he’s 22 he shows that bbiq off.

I do like him, but I think he’s getting overhyped in here, at least, I think it’s still an open question whether Spurs should take him with, say, the second pick.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Could be and I considered as much, but it's likely team related.

For instance, I don't see the Pistons being that team, but I could see the Bulls, Craptors or Jazz being it.

Yeah, I think you could be right about that... what a sad turn of events for Detroit if they don't take Topic-- because they have Cade-- and then Topic goes on to be the bigger star. In theory at least, two PG/combo guards that are both 6'6" could be incredible. One of the greatest what-ifs in NBA history is the "what if Portland had drafted Jordan to form a Jordan & Drexler duo?"

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Nice post, a few extra tidbits:

- I will take with a huge grain of salt his measurements. He was reportedly measured at 6'6" without shoes, with a 7' wingspan and a 8'2.5" standing reach at a basketball without border camp that happened in Utah in March 2023. These numbers make no sense. You can look at thousands of players measured through the year and you won't find one with that size/wingspan and a standing reach that short. At least one of these 3 numbers is false.
    Personally, I don't buy at all the 7' wingspan. His arms don't look that long and it's very unusual for white players to have that kind of wingspan/height ratio.

- Topic has scored 18.6 ppg this season and his scoring breakdown is the following:
    • 10.2 ppg in the paint
    • 0.6 ppg from 2s outside the paint
    • 3.9 ppg from 3's (closer line than in the NBA and with a 28.8 3P%)
    • 3.9 ppg from the free throw line

His offense is coming from the paint and there is a true question mark on whether or it will translate to the NBA. It's a big reason why he isn't higher on mock drafts currently despite all his qualities.
    I find that he has a good combination of size, quickness and craftiness to score inside at he NBA level. However, if he can't improve his jumpshot and develop a floater, I fear he will be too predictable to be successful against the more athletic NBA players.

- Topic's dad is a former high level basketball player. I like prospects that are coming from basektball families because it often translates into players that easily coachable and have a high BBIQ.

- It's great that he is leaving Mega to get back to Red Star. It will answer some doubts on his game. Right now, I think Topic is a fine prospect for the Raptors pick (if Spurs get it) but not for the Spurs' one. If he does well in Euroleague/ABA playoffs, he will be a legitimate candidate for Spurs' projected top 6 pick.
    i agree about his range imo he is more a 4-8 pick actually than a top three. Imo we ´re more Higher here in ST on topic than the consensus.

interesting fact that he is finishing a lot near the rim, the euroLeague will be a good indicator if he can translates that to the NBA. I will try to see some Red star games.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    [QUOTE=Bruno;11004888]Nice post, a few extra tidbits:

Good observation. Christian Braun measured out at 6'7" in shoes with a 6'6.5" wingspan, and a standing reach of 8'3.5" standing reach-- just one example.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    About the wingspan just seeing some photos, he has a good one maybe not 7’0 but could be 6’9 6’10.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    i agree about his range imo he is more a 4-8 pick actually than a top three. Imo we ´re more Higher here in ST on topic than the consensus.

interesting fact that he is finishing a lot near the rim, the euroLeague will be a good indicator if he can translates that to the NBA. I will try to see some Red star games.
    and who is top 3 worthy pick in this draft so far

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    maybe he just has a really long neck

tho im not seeing a 7ft wingspan either

Thread Information