Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    oh 100%

i just think he's much less likely to be available or reasonably priced
    Instead of giving the Hawks their picks back, we offer them to Utah. You think they wouldn't go for it?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Instead of giving the Hawks their picks back, we offer them to Utah. You think they wouldn't go for it?
    picks to the jazz from a hawks team with Trae + Murray are less valuable than the hawks receiving those picks enabling them to tank

wasnt there word about the jazz wanting like 4 FRPs for Lauri? Ainge is a shark

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    picks to the jazz from a hawks team with Trae + Murray are less valuable than the hawks receiving those picks enabling them to tank

wasnt there word about the jazz wanting like 4 FRPs for Lauri? Ainge is a shark
    In negotations there's an argument to be made that Markannen isn't in the same tier as Young and that they can't ask for that much.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Enter the negotiating room with Ainge at your own risk

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    assuming there's no extension, and assuming you are comfortable waiting until 2025 and hoping he picks you

as opposed to acquiring a guy in 2024
    1) It's unlikely he signs one given his current contract is too low for the max increase to bring an extension close to what his value is
    2) It's ONE YEAR... if you think you have a REALISTIC chance to sign a player of his caliber and still keep your assets for future use, that's a game changer (I don't know whether it is, but the FO might). Not just him, but like I said, Donovan Mitc and Derrick White (and others) as well. Everybody is on a rush to make a blockbuster deal right now given Wemby's rise and the news that he's uncomfortable losing, but while I definitely think the Spurs shouldn't tempt fate by entering next season without any improvements, I do believe a compe ive team would be enough for year 2, and much smaller moves could get you there (say, sign Tyus Jones or trade for Malcom Brogdon, among others). Every season there are opportunities to improve. Take Boston for instance, a lot of their success has to do with them not panicking and making opportunistic trades with great benefit-cost ratio (Derrick White, Porzingis, Jrue, Horford, Brogdon, etc). Same can be said of Denver (Aaron Gordon, KCP, etc). If someone is available sooner and the price is right, go for it, but I would be wary of going the route of Dallas when they drafted Luka and be in a worse place 3 years from now, which is when the Spurs REALLY need to be at their best to sell Wemby on their chances to be a long term contender.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Enter the negotiating room with Ainge at your own risk
    love the concept of Markannen but i think getting a reasonable trade out of Ainge is unlikely and deciding to just wait and preserve 2025 cap space with the hopes Lauri voluntarily comes to SA is quite the gambit. this isnt a LMA perfect storm situation

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I do not want to try to trade with Ainge, ever. It would be interesting to see what kind of maneuvering would be required to go after Lauri next year, assume we didn't make a BIG move, but some solid moves this offseason. A S&T next season wouldn't be off the table either, in which case I think Ainge would probably be slightly more reasonable to deal with (maybe?). I also think Lauri would be perfect, but I think very expensive to acquire. I don't know if market prices have been considered to be significantly cooled since, but I'm still using the summer of DJM/Gobert/Mitc trades as my marker for players of Lauri (or Trae's) caliber and think these guys will take a lot to get. However, the Spurs actually have the capital to spend... just doubt they want to go so big on one piece.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    1) It's unlikely he signs one given his current contract is too low for the max increase to bring an extension close to what his value is
    2) It's ONE YEAR... if you think you have a REALISTIC chance to sign a player of his caliber and still keep your assets for future use, that's a game changer (I don't know whether it is, but the FO might). Not just him, but like I said, Donovan Mitc and Derrick White (and others) as well. Everybody is on a rush to make a blockbuster deal right now given Wemby's rise and the news that he's uncomfortable losing, but while I definitely think the Spurs shouldn't tempt fate by entering next season without any improvements, I do believe a compe ive team would be enough for year 2, and much smaller moves could get you there (say, sign Tyus Jones or trade for Malcom Brogdon, among others). Every season there are opportunities to improve. Take Boston for instance, a lot of their success has to do with them not panicking and making opportunistic trades with great benefit-cost ratio (Derrick White, Porzingis, Jrue, Horford, Brogdon, etc). Same can be said of Denver (Aaron Gordon, KCP, etc). If someone is available sooner and the price is right, go for it, but I would be wary of going the route of Dallas when they drafted Luka and be in a worse place 3 years from now, which is when the Spurs REALLY need to be at their best to sell Wemby on their chances to be a long term contender.
    Definitely agree with this, as vocal as I've been about putting a team around Wemby ASAP... I'm only talking about a play-in team that will continue to grow, as compared to the historically-bad team we have now. Spurs SHOULD be able to find a way to build a play-in team while still keeping the major powder dry for the when the right opportunity comes along (maybe that opportunity is Trae, maybe not... that's just a matter of preference).

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'd trade Dev and our own first rounder this year plus one of the Bulls or Raps pick Lauri.

Trade the Hawks picks plus Keldon and Zollin for Young and you have a big three with Sochan/Jones/Dom rounding out the rotation. Just need 3&D wings but everything else is pretty well set.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't splurge on Markkanen for two reasons: 1) The Jazz have no incentive to trade him, which means it'd take a significant overpay and 2) He's a finisher (no pun intended), not a creator.

Take Boston for instance, a lot of their success has to do with them not panicking and making opportunistic trades with great benefit-cost ratio (Derrick White, Porzingis, Jrue, Horford, Brogdon, etc). Same can be said of Denver (Aaron Gordon, KCP, etc). If someone is available sooner and the price is right, go for it, but I would be wary of going the route of Dallas when they drafted Luka and be in a worse place 3 years from now, which is when the Spurs REALLY need to be at their best to sell Wemby on their chances to be a long term contender.
    People keep bringing up examples that don't equate.

The Celtics didn't have an all-time prospect and were already good in the early stages of the Tatum era, so of course they could afford to be methodical.

The Nuggets were basically a fluke, considering how unlikely Jokic becoming what he has was, so again, of course they could afford to be methodical.

This situation might be unprecedented. If they just had some regular primary scorer/play maker who wasn't good could enough but could suffice for the time being, it'd probably be fine to adopt a patient approach.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I wouldn't splurge on Markkanen for two reasons: 1) The Jazz have no incentive to trade him, which means it'd take a significant overpay and 2) He's a finisher (no pun intended), not a creator.

Yes, Markkanen is currently averaging 2.0 assists per game which is the highest of his career. I would prefer players who are more “assist aware” to team with Wemby.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still like the idea of Darius Garland, I think he’d be a little cheaper than Trae Young. And I worry a little would Trae Young except a 2nd banana role?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I still like the idea of Darius Garland, I think he’d be a little cheaper than Trae Young. And I worry a little would Trae Young except a 2nd banana role?
    when Trae was asked during all star weekend what wemby needs, he was giddy and smiling and kept saying "someone that can help him win"

think he understands

Take the fcking keys away baseline bum's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Garland might cost more because those two Atlanta picks and the swap are worth way less to Cleveland than they are to Atlanta. To Cleveland they're two picks probably around #10 and a swap to around #10 with not much of a shot of being #1 or #2. To Atlanta they're three top 5 picks with real shots to be #1 or #2 to go after guys like Cooper Flagg, AJ Dybantsa, or Cameron Boozer.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Markkanen is like the perfect number 3. A guy that provides all-star level production while not needing to have the ball on his hands. He's basically the PF version of Klay Thompson.

I know a playmaking perimeter player is a bigger need than a Markkanen type player right now, but if the choice is between Trae Young and Markkanen, I would rather have Markkanen and try to get that playmaking guard later, when a better option presents itself.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    when Trae was asked during all star weekend what wemby needs, he was giddy and smiling and kept saying "someone that can help him win"

think he understands
    this is the thing that gets me. Trae does seem giddy in that interview. There is nothing to stop the teams from continuing the discussion after the deadline and they can trade as soon as the season is over. This offseason is going to be so interesting.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Markkanen would fit, but I actually think OKC will make an offer for him. If they replace Giddey with Markkanen in the starting line up, they will be a problem.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Markkanen would fit, but I actually think OKC will make an offer for him. If they replace Giddey with Markkanen in the starting line up, they will be a problem.
    Another reason to try and get him. Although getting Markkanen now could become a problem in the future for OKC when they need to resign SGA, Williams and Chet. That would be 4 players with max contracts or close.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Spurs should go raid Philly for their free agents this summer.
    Some serviceable mid-tier folks in there that could fits nicely:

Tobias Harris
    Buddy Hield
    De'Anthony Melton
    Nicolas Batum

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    undersized hopes and dreams

Vassell not wanting to throw away a season for a lotto pick -- horrible character

Victor not wanting to throw away a season for a lotto pick -- alpha

It's just silly, man. Both of these guys want to win. Rather than a sign of jealousy, it's a sign the current two best players are pulling in the same direction.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Vassell not wanting to throw away a season for a lotto pick -- horrible character

Victor not wanting to throw away a season for a lotto pick -- alpha

It's just silly, man. Both of these guys want to win. Rather than a sign of jealousy, it's a sign the current two best players are pulling in the same direction.
    ^this

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This tweet is from the 2022 offseason. Y‘all just make up

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    picks plus fillers to ATL
    Trae to Cavs
    Garland and extra assets from Cavs to spurs

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    picks plus fillers to ATL
    Trae to Cavs
    Garland and extra assets from Cavs to spurs
    Why would the Cavs do that?
    They're trading Garland only if Mitc stays, which doesn't look likely.
    Mitc and another undersized, bad defense guard can't really work in the playoffs.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    My plan to get Ty Maxey isn't going to happen.

I have to continue to listen to you guys talk about 1/5th as good Trae Young.

Why Tyrese Maxey Isn’t Getting A Contract Extension — By Design (forbes.com)

Thread Information