id rather have reaves than that pick
    Why, the pick can turn into Branham, Wesley or Primo

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Damn yeah Ja just announced out for season

Changes things for sure.
    They'll just run it back next year. I don't see Memphis doing anything as far as trades go. Season was lost with his suspension anyway.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Sarr in Memphis strong move

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Schroeder does not want to come off the bench doug for him works straight up. Toronto saves on Salary next year
    I think Schroeder is fine coming off the bench at this point in his career, so that might not put pressure on the Raptors. And I somehow don't see him in a city like San Antonio ...

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Every game is game 1 Seventyniner's Avatar
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Wow. Shams is as credible a source as you're gonna find.

Of course Atlanta will want all their picks back, but the Spurs don't have to offer that.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Would be hillarious after everything that was written here.

Not a perfect fit, but probably the best available point guard in the league right now.
    It's the hardest role to play and develop young players in, so I'm not entirely against the idea of Spurs trading for a point guard.
    None of the prospects look like they'd be ready for a starting role on a team that doesn't want to tank anymore and there's nothing wrong with them coming off the bench for a couple of seasons.

I'd give Hawks back their pick swap and 2027 pick if they take Collins and McDermott.
    They're in no position to negotiate.
    2025 stays with us. Or even better of 2025 and 2027 stays with us.

DJ's contract isn't that bad, about right for the value he brings.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    He has mental health and depression issues. He specifically stepped away because he’s headed back home.
    Hey, I think we have a therapist that can see him if he will wear underwear or at least guarantee he'll keep his shorts on.
    Last edited by cd98; 01-09-2024 at 11:29 AM.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I'm curious how they'd sell that to their fanbase.. Charlotte, Toronto and a future 1st + Keldon or filler?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Welp, my username would become relevant again

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With the reach of Wemby and Murray there would be no passing lanes for opposing teams once they crossed the half court line.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Great. Another player to ignore Wemby and jack up shots. Just what we need.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    With the reach of Wemby and Murray there would be no passing lanes for opposing teams once they crossed the half court line.
    This is my fascination with this trade. Not sure there is a better defensive 1/5 combo in the league if this were to happen. I’d take DJM back in a heartbeat. I don’t understand why people think the Spurs would give the same value back they got in the first trade? They got several seasons of DJM and his value has changed. DJM and the Spurs positioned it like the Spurs system forced him to play a certain way and ATL was gonna unleash him. We all discovered that he can get numbers but it was a weird fit and the Hawks didn’t get better.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    This is my fascination with this trade. Not sure there is a better defensive 1/5 combo in the league if this were to happen. I’d take DJM back in a heartbeat. I don’t understand why people think the Spurs would give the same value back they got in the first trade? They got several seasons of DJM and his value has changed. DJM and the Spurs positioned it like the Spurs system forced him to play a certain way and ATL was gonna unleash him. We all discovered that he can get numbers but it was a weird fit and the Hawks didn’t get better.
    as a murray fan, his defense was always somewhat overrated. he was great at playing the passing lanes, but he basically was a gambler. that would lead to some really easy fastbreaks a few times a game. but as a man to man defender, he was ok not great.

his 3pt shooting has improved in atlanta as well. he's more willing to take them

and his contract is among the best in the league

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    We’ve got a Spurs trade rumors thread, but I thought I’d start one for ideas we might have and not necessarily just commenting on things that are already rumored in the press.

It’s 39 degrees and raining here and I’m pretty bored. I’m more into the draft than trades but, I’m taking a break today from looking at game film and thought I’d spitball through a couple types of trades that might make sense between now and the deadline. Looking at this deadline we don’t really want to do anything to lower our draft pick, but I do think we ‘should’ want to provide some balance just to help Wembanyama out a little bit and provide some structure. So, here’s a thought or two in it’s infancy.

#1- Giving them back their pick

To the Hornets- McDermott, Graham, Malaki, and the Cha 1st

To the Spurs- NSJ + Hayward

The thought here is that GH provides balance in the SL that we currently don’t have and he’s expiring. I think he would go a long way towards calming things down and getting players in a better position to simply play the game than what we’re doing now. NSJ is hitting 54% from 3 and if you’ve read anything I wrote about the draft you know I like his potential a lot. He also adds some athleticism to the roster. Why does Charolotte do this? Well, they don’t if a contender makes them a stronger offer for GH, but it’s going to be challenging for some teams to match salaries and our offer is better for them than standing pat. They would probably like to control their pick so it frees up future picks by removing the hold as well.

#2- Lakers, Bulls, Spurs

To the Bulls-McDermott, Graham, Prince, Christie 2024 & 2027 LA 2nds plus the Spurs Cha & Chi picks
    To the Lakers- LaVine
    To the Spurs- Russell & Reaves

This trade must happen after the 15th of this month. The thought here really comes down to LA getting desperate enough to do something before the deadline. We know the Bulls really want to move LaVine and there’s no market for him other than LA. The Bulls do this trade all day long. The Spurs though, why would we do this trade? Well, Russell isn’t a favorite of mine, but his contract makes this much easier to stomach. He provides stability in the SL and can space the floor. His vision and passing would make things easier on VW in the short term. Reaves is somebody we considered offering a contract this summer, so there’s obviously interest there. We’d be looking at a lineup of:

Russell, Tre, Wesley
    Vassel, Reaves, Branham
    Champ, KJ
    Sochan, Cedi, Mamu, Sidy
    Wembanyama, Collins, Barlow

That’s a much better and balanced lineup than we are trotting out there now and Reaves fits in a longer-term view. This gives us plenty of options going into the summer as well. Does LA get desperate enough to get Lavine? Probably not, but it’s not out of the question with a 39-year-old Lebron if they can make a splash anywhere else. I don’t think they really want to include any future 1st’s, so it’ll be hard for them to get a bigger name.

Feel free to poke holes in these or improve on them.. Like I said, trades aren’t my thing as much as the draft is and these thoughts are just in their infancy…
    I don't see LA giving up Russell, Reaves, Christie and 2 seconds for Lavine. Quite frankly, it's close to a push just swapping Reaves for Lavine. Lavine clearly the better scorer, but Reaves is the better distributor and board man.

And Reaves gives better effort defensively night in and night out. Lavine has spells where his effort is not there.

Add in the $170+ million Lavine is owed the rest of this year and the next 3, and to me, he's simply not worth that amount of players or contracted payments. Would leave them with ZERO flexibility whatsoever.

If I'm a fan of the other 29 NBA teams I hope this deal goes down exactly the way you drew it up.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I don't see LA giving up Russell, Reaves, Christie and 2 seconds for Lavine. Quite frankly, it's close to a push just swapping Reaves for Lavine. Lavine clearly the better scorer, but Reaves is the better distributor and board man.

And Reaves gives better effort defensively night in and night out. Lavine has spells where his effort is not there.

Add in the $170+ million Lavine is owed the rest of this year and the next 3, and to me, he's simply not worth that amount of players or contracted payments. Would leave them with ZERO flexibility whatsoever.

If I'm a fan of the other 29 NBA teams I hope this deal goes down exactly the way you drew it up.
    I think it's a bad trade from LA's perspective too, but there's a definite portion of their FO that wants Lavine (probably because they can't find any other splash out there) and Reaves + Russell + filler is the only way to make the numbers match. I add that to recent reports that LA would consider Reaves in potential trades, and it feels like they're testing the water from a PR perspective. So, my proposal is really based more on what Chicago would want out of the deal.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Trade Targets: Aaron Nesmith, Trey Murphy III, Herbert Jones, Tobias Harris

I’m open to trading: Branham, Tre Jones, Zach Collins, Julian, McDermott, Cedi
    I too am open to trading players that have pretty much no value in hopes of getting back something that has value. Don't hold your breath.

Make a trade steal
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    I too am open to trading players that have pretty much no value in hopes of getting back something that has value. Don't hold your breath.
    You can't trade for gold. You have to be willing to give up assets other teams will want or forget about trades.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tre Jones Has No Value? Collins? Especially For Guys Like Nesmith? Come On.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tre Jones Has No Value? Collins? Especially For Guys Like Nesmith? Come On.
    Tre Jones is a middling backup point guard man. I don't know why you think he has much value. Nesmith definitely is more valued than Tre Jones. if nothing else, compare the two contracts they just signed. Both signed them this offseason, but Nesmith signed for more year and more money. Its hard to say that Tre has a higher value in the league given that.

Outside of Wemby, Vassel, Keldon, and Sochan, there's not much on this team that is going to garner a return in a trade. Spurs have spent the last few seasons trading away their assets in a good manner and they've gotten good return, but considering the lack of production from last year's picks the cupboard is bare.

Veteran
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Tre Jones is a middling backup point guard man. I don't know why you think he has much value. Nesmith definitely is more valued than Tre Jones. if nothing else, compare the two contracts they just signed. Both signed them this offseason, but Nesmith signed for more year and more money. Its hard to say that Tre has a higher value in the league given that.

Outside of Wemby, Vassel, Keldon, and Sochan, there's not much on this team that is going to garner a return in a trade. Spurs have spent the last few seasons trading away their assets in a good manner and they've gotten good return, but considering the lack of production from last year's picks the cupboard is bare.
    By that logic isn't Collins worth more since he signed a contract for more than Nesmith?

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    By that logic isn't Collins worth more since he signed a contract for more than Nesmith?
    If that was the only thing worth considering then sure, but Nesmith has better numbers than Tre, can shoot 3s well, and is a bigger player. Instead of bringing up a bad extension the Spurs signed you could make a case as to why Tre Jones would have much trade value while explaining that while as a free agent he didn't garner much attention, he hasn't had an especially good year, and he can't even start on a team with no other point guard (I don't actually think this is his fault but I do think it has implications on his trade value). This roster has the collective stink on it of being one of the worst teams in NBA history and that is going to matter when evaluating the players that make up the roster as well.

Listen, if Tre Jones brings in a player in a trade who is a legit upgrade I will eat crow but, once again, I'm not going to hold my breath.

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    Murphy is a stud if he can get out of that log jam in NOLA

Believe.
    My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count

Yeah Tre only looks "good" here because all our other point guards are bad. Any team with aspirations to win are not trading for Tre. Any team that is not good probably already has a young point guard with WAY higher upside than Tre. I honestly can't think of one team who would be in the market for an unathletic point guard who can't shoot. The shiniest turd in a bowl of is still a turd.

My Team
    San Antonio Spurs
    Post Count
    DJM coming back would be such a, dare I say a term from my days in the merchant marines, CIA POP move!

Defense gets better, offense couldn't be much worse, so better. Moving Tre to the bench with Keldon (provided we keep him), Collins, Branham and whoever improves the bench and the starting lineup. If McDermott or Osman and picks work, that would be amazing.

My main questions are:

How would DJM and Wemby work together, personality-wise?

What would Atlanta want?

Thread Information